Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...isconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one nightís lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passengerís request only, reimbursement for one nightís lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passengerís Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UAís control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com...-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/...eference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/...uide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 2, 15, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

A counter agent was super helpful at rebooking but just read us a policy document that says no more wx for 1K on domestic flights.
Old Feb 2, 15, 4:30 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Wow, it looks like, if there is a 1K amenity, it is totally off the books.
So if you have a credit card you get care; if you are 1K nothing. How - that really telling your most valuable customer how valuable they are.
Old Feb 2, 15, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer View Post
So if you have a credit card you get care; if you are 1K nothing. How - that really telling your most valuable customer how valuable they are.
Nope. UA does not supply IRROPS vouchers to either 1K's or CC holders.

Some CC's provide trip interruption benefits and others include trip interruption insurance. If the CC provides it, you submit for reimbursement or make a claim on the insurance as the case may be.
Old Feb 2, 15, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer View Post
No, you misunderstood the thread. The credit card company may provide benefits for trip interruption. UA won't.
Old Feb 8, 15, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA, 1K
No hotels for 1K when weather related cancellation

Hi Folks

It seems that the slow degradation of 1K benefits steadily continues.
Background: 2 1Ks traveling LAX-EWR-BOS (LAX-EWR redeye tonight, EWR-BOS Monday morning). EWR-BOS already cancelled. Managed to get rebooked TOMORROW out of LAX (so forced overnight due to cancellation, lost our transcon F seats in the process).

Both United Club and check-in counter agents refused to give a hotel on grounds that the LAX-EWR is still operating, so if I want a free hotel, I should fly as ticketed to EWR and get stuck there..CLASSY united.

So, save $50/passenger..keep alienating your 1Ks. Nice business model.

Safe travels to all

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 8, 15 at 1:34 pm Reason: already posted
Old Feb 8, 15, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Silver
The other thing is the lack of empowerment to frontline employees. I was in a similar situation last week, although I'm not a 1k, the UC folks have no ability to make things happen anymore. I remember back in the days pre merger and often the club people could make things happen. In my situation UA took care of me, but that's after I vented here and wrote in to customer care. I also have not seen the preemptive emails with a little compensation anymore. It's not like most of us are out for the freebies, but more so just to know our business is appreciated.
Old Feb 8, 15, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
A 1K use to get hotels for any type of cancelation. During Super Storm Sandy UA put me up at a hotel for 3 nights in CLE. So this is just one more benefit that our friend Jeff Smisek has degraded for the "Over Entitled" Elits. One more change that we are sure to like.

No wonder so many Elites are leaving this sinking ship.
Old Feb 8, 15, 2:09 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by TonyBurr View Post
A 1K use to get hotels for any type of cancelation. During Super Storm Sandy UA put me up at a hotel for 3 nights in CLE. So this is just one more benefit that our friend Jeff Smisek has degraded for the "Over Entitled" Elits. One more change that we are sure to like.

No wonder so many Elites are leaving this sinking ship.
I could see this coming a mile away, it was getting harder and harder to squeeze a hotel room even when it was clearly UALs fault. The smart money already left.... its mostly people who have never flown OALs who remain.
Old Feb 8, 15, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Avis President's; Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
Was stuck at MCO Sunday night last week when my EWR flight was cancelled. At the club, the attendant made a phone call and was told they could get me a room as a 1k. They put me up in the Renaissance.
Old Feb 8, 15, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by InHouseCounsel View Post
Was stuck at MCO Sunday night last week when my EWR flight was cancelled. At the club, the attendant made a phone call and was told they could get me a room as a 1k. They put me up in the Renaissance.
Huh, thanks for the data point. Good to hear that this amenity survives somewhere, if perhaps ad-hoc.
Old Feb 8, 15, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by InHouseCounsel View Post
domestic or intercontinental itinerary? UA still provides accommodation if you travel TATL/TPAC
Old Feb 8, 15, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, AA Platinum, Starwood Preferred Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Silver
I would like to refute that TPAC/TATL itineraries get a hotel for 1K's for weather cancellations.

I was on UA 83 on Feb 1- arriving EWR morning of Feb 2. All flights to my final destination region were already cancelled for Feb 2 - DTW/GRR/ORD. The best they could do was put me on a flight to GRR 24 hours later.

I got nothing from the International transfer desk that rebooked me. No hotel voucher, no meal voucher, no service, no lounge access. I had to slog to a hotel that I had to pay for out of pocket, in addition to the ridiculous 18 dollar cab fare to go 1 mile - and had to wait for 3 hours to check in as they had no rooms ready yet.
Old Feb 8, 15, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sgw2124 View Post
I would like to refute that TPAC/TATL itineraries get a hotel for 1K's for weather cancellations.

I was on UA 83 on Feb 1- arriving EWR morning of Feb 2. All flights to my final destination region were already cancelled for Feb 2 - DTW/GRR/ORD. The best they could do was put me on a flight to GRR 24 hours later.

I got nothing from the International transfer desk that rebooked me. No hotel voucher, no meal voucher, no service, no lounge access. I had to slog to a hotel that I had to pay for out of pocket, in addition to the ridiculous 18 dollar cab fare to go 1 mile - and had to wait for 3 hours to check in as they had no rooms ready yet.
send in the bill. Front line agents are almost always uneducated. This is a *A rule. *G and premium pax get hotels. Always got a check from UA; ask nicely once then take the next decent hotel and send them the bill. They will pay.

AMENITIES – UNCONTROLLABLE*
In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to Premium Customers
(First, Business and Star Alliance Gold) travelling on an Intercontinental journey including connection
to/from domestic services.
Intercontinental refers to travel between Europe, Asia, North America, South America, Australia, New Zealand
and Africa. A connection is defined as one that does not exceed 24 hours.
Old Feb 8, 15, 5:45 pm

I was on a cancelled LAX-SEA 10 days ago. It was a connection from PSP-LAX. Flight was cancelled because the 319 was not rated to land in the low clouds in Seattle that night. The pilot confirmed this on the special make-up flight the next morning on the same plane.

The agent at the United Club told me they don't give hotel rooms for weather cancelations.. I asked if they had changed the policy for 1K's. She acted like she had never even heard of the policy. Her coworker told her to call the supervisor. The conversation resulting in a quick yes. They put me up at The Concourse right next to the airport on Century.

When I complained to 1K Voice about them canceling the flight due to flying antique planes (without modern navigation to land in the fog at Seattle), I also asked about the 1K weather policy. The response was they would educate the agents in the United Club, not that the policy has changed.
Old Feb 8, 15, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, AA Platinum, Starwood Preferred Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
send in the bill. Front line agents are almost always uneducated. This is a *A rule. *G and premium pax get hotels. Always got a check from UA; ask nicely once then take the next decent hotel and send them the bill. They will pay.
Thanks cfischer, I will try that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: