Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM
SFO experiences lately?

I am flying SFO-DFW United domesti F, then DFW-FRA LH Intl F.

1) does this qualify me for IFL in SFO?
2) if so, given the rogue nature of the SFO UA staff, any recent experience of if they will allow it?

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by blueman2

2) if so, given the rogue nature of the SFO UA staff, any recent experience of if they will allow it?

Thanks
Doubtful
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+

Thanks
1) No. If you were on UA metal on your future longhaul, you could get in, assuming your item 2 wasn't an issue. Since you're on LH, you only get IFC/GFL lounge access at your international departure airport.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Doubtful
Originally Posted by jgsx
1) No. If you were on UA metal on your future longhaul, you could get in, assuming your item 2 wasn't an issue. Since you're on LH, you only get IFC/GFL lounge access at your international departure airport.
Thanks. That was my reading as well but wanted to confirm.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Thanks
You will get into the RC in SFO, now, you might be able to get into the IFL, only way to find out if to try. Is there a international *A at DFW?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Just got back from my first time at the new LHR GFL. In terms of food and service, I think it's on a par with most European and Asian airlines' FCLs (LH FCT excepted). In terms of layout, it lacks the private resting areas of, say, the cabanas at the CX lounges in HKG, the TK int'l lounge in IST, or BA's CCR. But it's by far the best thing in the UA system. Also, the new LHR UC is perhaps the best UC in the system (only HKG is comparable).

One big shortcoming... the GFL should serve real orange juice like all the others I've mentioned! No more of that flavorless stuff served on any BUF-EWR morning flight.
[end first world rant]
Was just in LHR GFL a few days ago. Very nice. They do have resting pods - reclined chaise lounges with curtains to pull around them. I didn't use but they could come in handy. As far as I can remember off the top of my head, this is the nicest UA GFL or UC I've been in. By far.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

Thanks
You might get in if you are an LH HON circle member. Otherwise no.

In my last 2 visits at the SFO IFL, the desk staff have been better. I wonder if someone didn't pass this thread along to them and they got the message().

One example: my middle son and I are GS, but the rest of the family are not. The desk staff actually offered that my wife could go into the lounge instead of my son (at SFO, that's a huge and unexpected concession). They were actually friendly and solicitous for the first time in memory.

On the other hand, I'm very disappointed with the staff below. Around 9pm, they make it very clear that they don't want you in there. If you don't hold tight onto your half-full drink or plate of food, they'll whisk it away. They also tend to park the cleaning cart right next to you (I mean really -- like 6 inches away). Around 9, they start aggressively clearing food away (with maximum clanking). The lounge doesn't close until 10:30. So I find all this behavior pretty obnoxious.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by porciuscato

On the other hand, I'm very disappointed with the staff below. Around 9pm, they make it very clear that they don't want you in there. If you don't hold tight onto your half-full drink or plate of food, they'll whisk it away. They also tend to park the cleaning cart right next to you (I mean really -- like 6 inches away). Around 9, they start aggressively clearing food away (with maximum clanking). The lounge doesn't close until 10:30. So I find all this behavior pretty obnoxious.
No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. After 9pm the GFL switches to a waiter-oriented mode of service. You're supposed to start ordering custom cocktails at that hour.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by porciuscato

I've never been in the SFOGFL at that hour, but that is certainly the experience at IADGFL. At one time (don't know anymore--might still be), the DXB flight was the last one out and more than once I showed up and the food was already put away and the self-serve bar closed down.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I've never been in the SFOGFL at that hour, but that is certainly the experience at IADGFL. At one time (don't know anymore--might still be), the DXB flight was the last one out and more than once I showed up and the food was already put away and the self-serve bar closed down.
I haven't noticed this recently. I take the GRU flight fairly frequently, which leaves around 10:30PM and the food is out until I board, which is usually around 9:55 or so. I will say that i'm usually the only one in this lounge at that point and am fairly surprised that they don't start packing up around that time.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
At the ORD GFL lounge today and happy to report that the lounge catering has been taken over by Sodexo - the same folks that do the London clubs. Here are a few pictures - initial thoughts: Food has improved dramatically - while wines / champagne have declined. Overall I think it's a step in the right direction as the Chinese food and noodles are WAY better than the food court next door - no more running over there to get food!
Attached Images   

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Apr 30, 2016 at 11:17 am Reason: Added pictures
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
ORD?

In all events, have a great trip!
Thanks I will - and thanks for the tips for BUD - can't wait to see the opera house tomorrow night!

ETA - some more detailed pics - and FWIW IMO the red wines are better than the white....
Attached Images    

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Apr 30, 2016 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:43 am

FYI - Added more pictures and fixed original post - and here is the Chinese food - nothing gourmet but miles ahead of Manchu wok lol...
Attached Images  

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Apr 30, 2016 at 11:56 am
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS
Yummy! Can't wait to check it out this Tuesday
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Yummy! Can't wait to check it out this Tuesday
It's been better than expected - and proud that none of my pics were sideways! Being yelled at now in lounge so have to get on plane - don't know how tom gets away with it but they won't give me any slack lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.