Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
it was connecting at DEN and now IAH
yes the second leg was changed from UA to UAEx

haha well I'm afraid they will put me in midnight flights :P
Isn't there a DOT rule about change of carrier?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Starman
The standard FT reply on this one is "probably an equipment change pending." However in my experience this particular peculiar wording ("waitlisted") has meant a complete cancellation of that segment from the schedule, with res usually taking one to two weeks more to change you automatically to something more inconvenient. An easy check is to try a new dummy booking on the suspicious segment. If it's not there, you know it's probably a cancellation, not equipment change. YMMV of course.

If you're using the mobile app, it shows any segment that is not confirmed as "Waitlisted."

So if the flight time changed 15 minutes or it's a new flight number, it would show as red "Schedule Changed" online, but "Waitlisted" on the app.

It's typical of the inconsistency that one would expect from United Continental Holdings, Inc.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by channa
If you're using the mobile app, it shows any segment that is not confirmed as "Waitlisted."

So if the flight time changed 15 minutes or it's a new flight number, it would show as red "Schedule Changed" online, but "Waitlisted" on the app.

It's typical of the inconsistency that one would expect from United Continental Holdings, Inc.
Interesting -- I never picked up this particular subtlety, but now that you say it, I see you're right -- I've only found "waitlisted" on the mobile app. Of course, the advice to try a dummy booking to try to get ahead of the game remains either way.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:24 am

I don't recall schedule change emails either. I usually find out because I'm proactive about checking my reservations, since I book some of them pretty far in advance.

In general, I haven't had problems with agents putting me on alternative flights after the changes. In some cases, no good alternatives were available (usually international connecting flights), so I was stuck with those.

United really should fix this, though, as no one should have to find out their flight changed a few days before departure or when checking in. There's no reason that people should have to check their ticketed bookings on a regular basis for changes. Computers can do that much more efficiently.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
Did a dummy booking, the flight does exist with only the flight number and eqp change
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by windhund
I don't recall schedule change emails either. I usually find out because I'm proactive about checking my reservations, since I book some of them pretty far in advance.

In general, I haven't had problems with agents putting me on alternative flights after the changes. In some cases, no good alternatives were available (usually international connecting flights), so I was stuck with those.

United really should fix this, though, as no one should have to find out their flight changed a few days before departure or when checking in. There's no reason that people should have to check their ticketed bookings on a regular basis for changes. Computers can do that much more efficiently.

If you leave them alone, they usually will send an email at some point.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I get emails for all of my schedule changes. No problems there. They come in the form of an itinerary email. And you need to look closely to see what changed. Or, just look on united.com and see where it calls out the change.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Lots of sked changes in my itineraries this weekend. Mostly good ones in terms of rebooking improvements over original itinerary.

I had a January YVR-ORD-IAD morph into a UX leg ORD-IAD. No way am I taking UX out of ORD in January. Shifted to YVR-SFO-IAD with the SFO-IAD on a 757 with lie-flats. And there was R space, and I'm now confirmed in the front cabin. We'll see if the lie-flat 757 holds, but it's still a good trade for more 2016 PQM.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
This past weekend I had a change on every trip I have booked already for Q1/16...most were easy fixes, but I have one left that makes me feel unsure what to do. Hope this is the right thread to put my question...

I have an ORD-DCA-EWR trip booked in January where I voluntarily did this detour to maximise PQM earning, but due to the change, the connection-time at DCA comes down to 32 minutes, and that is connecting to the last DCA-EWR flight of the day as a bonus.

Is my assumption correct that this is a almost guarantee to spend the night at DCA given the average weather in the DCA- and ORD-area, traffic-situation in the evening at ORD and UA's susceptibility for delays in general? If so, any suggestion what routing to ask for when calling in? Would not want to leave ORD before 2pm on 1/19 and would prefer a "safe" connection somewhere to add some extra PQM.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by djohannw
This past weekend I had a change on every trip I have booked already for Q1/16...most were easy fixes, but I have one left that makes me feel unsure what to do. Hope this is the right thread to put my question...

I have an ORD-DCA-EWR trip booked in January where I voluntarily did this detour to maximise PQM earning, but due to the change, the connection-time at DCA comes down to 32 minutes, and that is connecting to the last DCA-EWR flight of the day as a bonus.

Is my assumption correct that this is a almost guarantee to spend the night at DCA given the average weather in the DCA- and ORD-area, traffic-situation in the evening at ORD and UA's susceptibility for delays in general? If so, any suggestion what routing to ask for when calling in? Would not want to leave ORD before 2pm on 1/19 and would prefer a "safe" connection somewhere to add some extra PQM.

Greetings - Dirk
What was the magnitude of the schedule change that is causing the tight connection?

Probably the best course of action is to flight search for a itinerary that you want, then call in and present the option as your preference and see what happens.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
What was the magnitude of the schedule change that is causing the tight connection?
20 minutes - the first flight now lands 10 minutes later than before and the second departs 10 minutes earlier...

Probably the best course of action is to flight search for a itinerary that you want, then call in and present the option as your preference and see what happens.
The thing is that I cannot find anything that improves the situation or does not depart extremely early (my original flight departs at 6pm). But resorting to a non-stop just does not seem right for me...:-)!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: None - previously UA
The thing is that I cannot find anything that improves the situation or does not depart extremely early (my original flight departs at 6pm). But resorting to a non-stop just does not seem right for me...:-)!

Greetings - Dirk
What I would do is wait till day of trip and then just switch to direct if 1st leg looks delayed. And then claim ORC. There is also a good chance schedule changes again and connection becomes safer.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

Greetings - Dirk
DCA-EWR is the leg more likely to be delayed, because it is a short hop on a regional carrier. Therefore, I'd be less worried about misconnecting in DCA, and more worried about getting to EWR at 3 in the morning.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
What I would do is wait till day of trip and then just switch to direct if 1st leg looks delayed. And then claim ORC. There is also a good chance schedule changes again and connection becomes safer.
You're not that likely to get ORC on a voluntary request to change, even if it's based on an apparent delay.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by sethb
You're not that likely to get ORC on a voluntary request to change, even if it's based on an apparent delay.
Once you're delayed enough that you most likely miss the last connection that day - then the change is involuntary by definition. Whether you request the change or you just take what they give you doesn't affect getting ORC credit. Of course there is a grey area if the possibility exists that you might make the connection, but the words invol reroute have never failed to work for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.