Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I must say, today I am impressed with UA's handling of two relatively small (30 mins, 60 mins) schedule changes on short one-ways (one to MHH, one to SJU)

No pushback to change to a more favourable routing - they even carried the already confirmed RPUs over to the new flights
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
It doesn't. UA amended its Contract of Carriage effective March 6, 2015. UA can now force a change of carrier on you. They also removed the provision which gave you the right to a refund based on a two hour delay.

Flyer friendly, indeed.
Gotta keep up the perch in the caboose of the AQR somehow
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA MM
BOS-LAS rt in June, for me + kid. When I go to book for my wife, I can't find the flights, and I notice a time change (only 10-15 minutes). So I go to check my reservation, and has the red notice. I open it and.. the notice is NOT for the change in times, but rather for the fact that one of the segments is same equipment but different flight number. Uh... let's highlight the important stuff here
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have already had 3 schedule changes on award tickets this summer that require them to call support and open up XN inventory. They all worked out to my benefit but things should really not be this messy.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA can now force a change of carrier on you.
Only if they change from UX to UA. Here are the relevant portions of the CoC:
Rule 24 (B) Definitions
(1) Change in Schedule - an advance change in UA's schedule (including a change in operating carrier or itinerary) that is not a unique event such as a Schedule Irregularity or Force Majeure Event as defined below.
Rule 24 (C) Change in Schedule - When a Passenger's Ticketed flight is affected because of a Change in Schedule, UA will, at its election, arrange one of the following:
(1) Transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger;

(2) At UA's discretion, reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service when a Change in Schedule results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities;

(3) Advise the Passenger that the value of his or her Ticket may be applied toward future travel on United within one year from the date of issue without a change or reissue fee; or

(4) If the Passenger is not transported as provided in C) 1) or 2) above and does not choose to apply the value of his or her Ticket toward future travel as provided in C) 3) above, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request.
(1) does not apply since the change is not to United's own flights.
(2) does not apply since all UA service between the cities has not been canceled.

Therefore, the passenger has option (4) available.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Only if they change from UX to UA. Here are the relevant portions of the CoC:
Yes, thank you, that's correct.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:41 pm

I went online today to check on moving our seats for a flight I booked April 1. I received a message of a flight schedule change and to accept the changes. I did not accept and instead started researching my options.

The original flight (for August) was Springfield, MO (SGF) to ORD leaving SGF at 8:00am, arriving ORD at 9:30am. Connection ORD to YYZ at 10:35am, arriving 1:01pm.

The new flight is now leaving at 5:15am from SGF, causing a long 3:55 layover in ORD.

I normally wouldn't have a huge issue with the change, but 5:15am is painfully early, as I would have to be up at 3:00am to get to the airport by 4:15am for a 60 minute advance check in (it states we have to check in 60 minutes early for international flight...is this correct for the SGF check in since I'm flying to ORD from there, even though it is international from ORD to YYZ?).

In addition, we have a 8 hour layover in YYZ before flying to Iceland, arriving there at 6:30am the following morning. I was hoping to power through the day without sleeping to get over jet lag. But this almost 3 hour earlier flight will mess with me, I think.

There are later flights in the day that would still get us to YYZ in time for our late flight to Iceland. Would this be a reasonable request?

The other option would be to ask for an earlier ORD to YYZ flight. I know that would increase our time in Toronto, but since I've never been there before, we thought of taking the train into the city and walking around, eat, etc. This would provide a few extra hours so we're not rushed going back through customs, security, etc. Do you know if they would change the connecting flight due to the change in schedule for the morning flight?

Or 3rd option, which I haven't seen asked on the forum. Do they ever provide lounge access or anything like that when changing schedule resulting in a long delay? I don't fly enough to purchase a yearly pass, although do often buy day passes and would consider that as well with this change.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by reney313
..... There are later flights in the day that would still get us to YYZ in time for our late flight to Iceland. Would this be a reasonable request? ...
very reasonable request (if possible to do on UA operated flights.

..... Do you know if they would change the connecting flight due to the change in schedule for the morning flight? ...
yes but easier done if you are staying on UA operated flights.

..... which I haven't seen asked on the forum. Do they ever provide lounge access or anything like that when changing schedule resulting in a long delay? ....
Phone agents don't / can't do this. On very rare occasions airport agents might but rare. And a few hours change is not likely going to be successful.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
There are later flights in the day that would still get us to YYZ in time for our late flight to Iceland. Would this be a reasonable request?

The other option would be to ask for an earlier ORD to YYZ flight. I know that would increase our time in Toronto, but since I've never been there before, we thought of taking the train into the city and walking around, eat, etc. This would provide a few extra hours so we're not rushed going back through customs, security, etc. Do you know if they would change the connecting flight due to the change in schedule for the morning flight?

Or 3rd option, which I haven't seen asked on the forum. Do they ever provide lounge access or anything like that when changing schedule resulting in a long delay? I don't fly enough to purchase a yearly pass, although do often buy day passes and would consider that as well with this change.
I think you've listed the 3 options in the best order. For me, this would be a no-brainer, take the later flight to YYZ. You should have no problem with UA making that change as long as there are seats available.

UA won't provide free lounge access or any amenities for your layover.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:54 pm

UA just changed aircraft for one of my scheduled trips in July. Originally they had a 757 scheduled and I had a confirmed upgrade, but now they changed it to a 320 and my upgrade is waitlisted. The new flight leaves 20 minutes earlier so not a big deal there. But I have not accepted the change yet. Any chance of UA willing to put me on a different flight which has R space available right now?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by altbg
Any chance of UA willing to put me on a different flight which has R space available right now?
Until you accept the change, I don't think they can push an upgrade through. When you call, be sure to talk about the upgrade - I can't recall ever being denied if there were any open seats (even with R0).
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:00 pm

Are there instances where you aren't notified of a change on the website when you view a reservation? I had an equipment swap for my flights this upcoming weekend where an expressjet E145 was swapped out for an expressjet 135 without any notification from UA or ability to accept (or not to accept) the change. In this case there are really no alternatives since I'm flying to an airport only serviced by expressjet from IAH with two RTs on the E145 and 2 on the E135 daily.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
In addition, we have a 8 hour layover in YYZ before flying to Iceland, arriving there at 6:30am the following morning. I was hoping to power through the day without sleeping to get over jet lag. But this almost 3 hour earlier flight will mess with me, I think.

I think you want the lounge in YYZ United does not have its own lounge they use Air Canada's so they cannot get you lounge.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by steveman518
Are there instances where you aren't notified of a change on the website when you view a reservation?
I once had a flight move by a day without notification. You need to closely examine each reservation at least once per week.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I once had a flight move by a day without notification. You need to closely examine each reservation at least once per week.
That is true, though so far up until this week all my changes on my other itineraries have been highlighted in red-I was mostly wondering that if it's UA policy not to notify if there are essentially no other viable choices (especially with regional airports).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.