Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw (OJ)?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover is permitted.

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: It has become extremely difficult to book an open-jaw at the stopover. Best not to count on getting one.

Q: When I try to book my OJ itinerary online, the website errors out. Does that mean there is something wrong with my itinerary?

A: Not necessarily. The website typically can't handle complex itineraries. These must generally be called in.

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: No.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a "free one-way" I can get on a UA award?
A: The term "free one-way" is a misnomer and often confuses people (and may annoy the regulars here!). The technical definition of this concept is "stopover at origin." There have been mixed reports recently about UA's willingness to ticket a stopover at origin.

Important Notes - PLEASE READ:

1. Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it. This is probably the number one error made in attempting to construct a complex itinerary. If you have more than two stops >24 hours on a roundtrip award, it is not legal and will not ticket.

2. An open jaw always creates a stopover, even if you're stopping for less than 24 hours.

3. Many awards are subject to segment or "transfer" limitations. For example, the North America to South Asia award is currently restricted to four transfers in each direction.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA

Previous thread on this topic:

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Consolidated: Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights [2014]
Print Wikipost

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
All,

I am putting together a trip for next January and wanted some help and ideas.

Leg 1 (miles/stopover)
AUS-IAH-YYZ-DEL on Air Canada 787 business class, might try AUS-EWR-DEL
Stop in Delhi for 3 nights

Leg 2 (miles/stopover)
Del - MAA Air India or Jet airways first class
Stop in MAA for 10 nights or so

Leg 3 paid (it appears to be an all economy flight hence I thought I would pay for this segment)
MAA - MLE Air India
Stay in MLE for 4 nights or so

Leg 4 miles (miles/open jaw)
MLE- XXX-XXX-Aus (might need another transfer city)

1) Is this a valid routing and what would the cost in miles be?
2) Apparently Lufthansa is going to start MLE - FRA. I believe I could also fly MLE - IST on TK. OS flies MLE to VIE but leaves a long overnight layover. Can I even get SQ to Singapore? Are these the best options for using miles for business class or first class to get back to Austin?

Originally, I was going to use United miles to get to Delhi, pay for the rest but then us AA miles to fly MLE- AUH (2 nights) - DFW - AUS. This would have cost 115 K miles for first class plus the 80K united miles going. Thoughts about this routing?

Thanks
ND Traveler
While I can't comment much on the routing, unless you're planning trips to other islands, I'd be concerned about running out of things to do in MLE over 2 days, let alone 4!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
We are actually going to stay at a resort for 3-5 nights. I haven't decided which one yet.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
SQ availability MLE-SIN is usually pretty easy since they have so much lift.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:38 pm

I can never get any award for SQ to show up SIN-NYC any suggestions to seeing that routing?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I am really excited .... I get to fly AC ... business class.
Said noone ever ......

As for the return, MLE-IST-IAH-AUS is the most logical routing if you can find availability.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:07 pm

from what I read in another thread, the brand new all aisle access AC 787 is preferred over the UA 777 2x2x2

I looked at that but it leaves a 7.5 hour (530 AM to 120 PM) layover in Istanbul which I don't think is enough time to get out and see the city.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
I can never get any award for SQ to show up SIN-NYC any suggestions to seeing that routing?
UA pulled all SQ availability from their site, you have to call in for it.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Hi all,

I'm planning something for this year. Is the following itinerary valid?

1. DFW-LAX-ICN (< 24 hour)
2. GMP-HND (Stopover)
3. NRT-FRA-LHR (Destination)
4. ZRH-EWR-DFW (Open Jaw)

I have three concerns regarding that.

1. I will be crossing two oceans (I haven't seen too many example of people doing that, but it's possible according to the wiki).

2. I'm using a different airports in Seoul and Tokyo. Will that count against my open jaw? I could do the second leg as ICN-NRT if necessary. But I prefer the closer airports to the cities.

3. If I understand the max connection each way correctly, I'm allowed 4 connections, which means 5 segments?

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DavidWeb
Hi all,

I'm planning something for this year. Is the following itinerary valid?

1. DFW-LAX-ICN (< 24 hour)
2. GMP-HND (Stopover)
3. NRT-FRA-LHR (Destination)
4. ZRH-EWR-DFW (Open Jaw)

I have three concerns regarding that.

1. I will be crossing two oceans (I haven't seen too many example of people doing that, but it's possible according to the wiki).

2. I'm using a different airports in Seoul and Tokyo. Will that count against my open jaw? I could do the second leg as ICN-NRT if necessary. But I prefer the closer airports to the cities.

3. If I understand the max connection each way correctly, I'm allowed 4 connections, which means 5 segments?
1. Two oceans no longer allowed.
2. 8 segments max
3. You may have a problem with GMP/ICN creating an OJ and thus a stopover, I don't think they're treated as co-terminals (could be wrong here, but this was my conclusion when I last looked into it)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
UA pulled all SQ availability from their site, you have to call in for it.
yay united. making things easy for customers.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:57 pm

Thanks Kacee.

I've to re-route my trip then to take full advantage of the Europe/Japan combo.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
1. Two oceans no longer allowed.
2. 8 segments max
3. You may have a problem with GMP/ICN creating an OJ and thus a stopover, I don't think they're treated as co-terminals (could be wrong here, but this was my conclusion when I last looked into it)
So as ridiculous as this itinerary is, this itinerary is actually more valid?

DFW-LAX-ICN (< 24 hour)
ICN-NRT (stopover)
NRT-FRA-LHR (Destination)
ZRH-NRT-ORD-DFW (open jaw)
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DavidWeb
So as ridiculous as this itinerary is, this itinerary is actually more valid?

DFW-LAX-ICN (< 24 hour)
ICN-NRT (stopover)
NRT-FRA-LHR (Destination)
ZRH-NRT-ORD-DFW (open jaw)
Two oceans. Let us know if you can book it.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Two oceans. Let us know if you can book it.
Two oceans are allowed. I just booked a dummy trip for what I listed above and it worked
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:12 am

Two oceans are allowed. I just booked a dummy trip for what I listed above and it worked
Two oceans are actually not allowed. In fact, the Europe routing to S. Asia is specifically excluded under the fare rules for that award.

That doesn't mean it can't be booked. However, you reference a "dummy booking." Do you actually have a ticket? Sometimes it doesn't error out until the very end of the booking process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.