Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changing the frequent flyer account on UA (paid / award) ticket? Checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Changing the frequent flyer account on UA (paid / award) ticket? Checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
Question Unable to Update MileagePlus for Upcoming Flight

Hi United FT'ers,

I booked a flight a few weeks ago, and only noticed now that my mileage rewards is linked to my Air Canada Aeroplan account, and not my United Mileage Plus number. I tried to edit/update the info in the reservation, but the website is now allowing me to do that.

Would I need to call reservations to update this? Or are there any other workarounds to this? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Hi United FT'ers,

I booked a flight a few weeks ago, and only noticed now that my mileage rewards is linked to my Air Canada Aeroplan account, and not my United Mileage Plus number. I tried to edit/update the info in the reservation, but the website is now allowing me to do that.

Would I need to call reservations to update this? Or are there any other workarounds to this? Thanks in advance!
I personally have had my MP number updated in the system at check-in if there has been an issue trying to get it recorded before hand.

Only issue with this approach is if you are *G on only one of them and are looking for your benefits. In that case I would call in to see if a CS rep can update the plan number.
bcrdukes likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
Thanks for the reply!

I don't have *G anymore on either accounts. What I'm looking to do is do a status challenge on United as I hit Silver Medallion on Delta. I don't think Air Canada Aeroplan will allow me to hit the status challenge while flying on United.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Currently on a trip where I wanted to credit the first leg to TK and the return to UA. Forgot to do this at/before check-in, so I asked the staff in the Polaris lounge to change the outbound from UA to TK - which they couldn't do, even after calling their support people. They ended up having to cancel my checkin, change the number for the entire itinerary, and then check me in again.

Fast forward to today the miles successfully credited to TK so I went in to change it back to UA, and as per this thread the website wouldn't let me. Called in and agent stated she didn't think that was allowed, but put me on hold to check.

Whilst I was waiting I decided to check in Concur, and sure enough it has a "Change Frequent Flyer Program" option. Did that, selected UA, got a message saying they have no idea if it worked or not - but sure enough on UA's website it's updated correctly to show my UA number and status.

Of course I'll check again at check-in, but if you happen to book via Concur it looks like that's the easiest way to change it at any time (pre check-in)
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA MM PG, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum
Cannot add UA MP Number to AV Award {Resolved}

I have always been able to add my United MP number to an Avianca award after booking when I pull up the reservation on united.com (to get elite benefits). However, now when I try to add my UA number, I get an error on both the website and the app.

Has anyone had issues with this recently? Is there a workaround? Maybe calling UA web support or even Avianca? Any luck at the airport?

***UPDATE - looks like MP number is case sensitive?? When I copied and pasted the MP number from my profile, the update worked. I'm sure I had the number right initially, but I didn't have the letters in caps. Weird.

Last edited by otptravels; Aug 1, 2019 at 9:42 am Reason: Solved
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
I haven't seen this question answered recently: Can I change the FFP to Amtrak Guest Rewards for an upcoming international trip? We'll get more use out of the Amtrak miles.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iplaybass
I haven't seen this question answered recently: Can I change the FFP to Amtrak Guest Rewards for an upcoming international trip? We'll get more use out of the Amtrak miles.
I don't know specifically about Amtrak, but generally yes, for revenue tickets you can change the FF plan / number. You need to call, or I think it is also possible to do it yourself at a check-in kiosk.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
This does not seem to work anymore - I can't edit the FF number if I open the locator on United.com - my flights include UA and LH - neither site seems to allow me to add a United number. The UA flight is in Y, so adding the number would help with seats. The other two are F an J so I don't care much about LH having it.

Any workarounds? Does calling UA work?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:10 pm

The best way is to call UA for the UA flights and then LH for the LH flights. Although it can be tedious that is the only way to guarantee the number will be in the reservation.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flying_geek
This does not seem to work anymore - I can't edit the FF number if I open the locator on United.com - my flights include UA and LH - neither site seems to allow me to add a United number. The UA flight is in Y, so adding the number would help with seats. The other two are F an J so I don't care much about LH having it.

Any workarounds? Does calling UA work?
Who issued the ticket? Is it 016 UA ticket? Prior to travel, ticket changes need to be done by the issuing airline? Sometime changing the FF can be done by others but best to work with the issuing airline.
Paid or award ticket?

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
The best way is to call UA for the UA flights and then LH for the LH flights. Although it can be tedious that is the only way to guarantee the number will be in the reservation.
There can only be one FF account on the PNR at one time
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There can only be one FF account on the PNR at one time
Yes that's always been the rule. My understanding from the OP was that he couldn't add his MP number to a AV award ticket. I should have been clearer, the OP can call each airline and have them remove any other associated account number and have them input his MP number only.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Yes that's always been the rule. My understanding from the OP was that he couldn't add his MP number to a AV award ticket. I should have been clearer, the OP can call each airline and have them remove any other associated account number and have them input his MP number only.
Asked UA to change it through twitter - UA MP number shows up (for all flights) - took maybe 10 minutes including them asking a security question. Quite happy with that. Haven't tried twitter with UA before.

Someone asked - was a AV award ticket
Old Aug 9, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I'm going to need to do this soon for upcoming flights, after check-in. I see Twitter mentioned a lot, but has anybody tried doing this with the online chat feature in the app? I had to contact them and ask about a refund for an upcoming HKG trip (impossible for me due to entry / quarantine restrictions), and the agent cheerfully and immediately offered a refund to my credit card.

Based on how easy that interaction was, I was just wondering if anyone has tried to change their FF# through that service.

Thank you!
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:17 am

I need to change the FF member ID on an upcoming flight due to the OZ/KE takeover, but I am not allowed to modify it online or on the app. Should I try and contact UA in advance, or should I just wait for check-in?
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by downinit
I need to change the FF member ID on an upcoming flight due to the OZ/KE takeover, but I am not allowed to modify it online or on the app. Should I try and contact UA in advance, or should I just wait for check-in?
Probably makes no difference if not an UA flight and you have no UA status. But either should work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.