Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's second class first class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:01 pm

Question United and Shanghai

I have been traveling to Shanghai for 12 years, 2 or 3 times a year to visit my son. For the first time, ever, my husband and I were upgraded to business class, for free. I had prepaid economy plus and I am only a silver member. How can I get this to happen again?
Csilla
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Csilla
I have been traveling to Shanghai for 12 years, 2 or 3 times a year to visit my son. For the first time, ever, my husband and I were upgraded to business class, for free. I had prepaid economy plus and I am only a silver member. How can I get this to happen again?
Csilla
Might as well go to vegas and bet it all on black. Better chances than that happening again.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Originally Posted by olouie
Might as well go to vegas and bet it all on black. Better chances than that happening again.
Betting it all on black does not actually give you bad odds, something like a 47-48% chance.

You must have lucked out because they oversold the coach cabin or they needed your seats, or something like that. At least 10 years ago I was asked at the gate for a UA flight if I would be willing to give up my seat so that a family could sit together and I said no problem, and the gate agent then surprisingly upgraded me to first. But it hasn't happened since. The only way you can "get this to happen again" is to use your miles or GPU's.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by mikelcf
Betting it all on black does not actually give you bad odds, something like a 47-48% chance.

You must have lucked out because they oversold the coach cabin or they needed your seats, or something like that. At least 10 years ago I was asked at the gate for a UA flight if I would be willing to give up my seat so that a family could sit together and I said no problem, and the gate agent then surprisingly upgraded me to first. But it hasn't happened since. The only way you can "get this to happen again" is to use your miles or GPU's.
Exactly! I know the odds was just saying that all on black is way better than 1 in 24-36 ;-)
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Originally Posted by olouie
Exactly! I know the odds was just saying that all on black is way better than 1 in 24-36 ;-)
Got it, but OP was referring to getting upgraded "for free" - meaning she didn't use any miles, GPU or pay anything, she just got a free upgrade. Chances of that happening (on two tickets no less) are far less than 1 in 24-36. (Unless I am misreading her original post)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.