Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by IlanB
Very newbie follow up question - Where is the best place to check on R>0 seats? Through united.com and look for that specific flight every time?
Following up on this - Is KVS/EF/AN can help tracking if R (or is it RN?) seats become available?

Thanks!

Last edited by IlanB; Apr 29, 2018 at 4:58 am Reason: Phrasing
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by IlanB
Following up on this - Is KVS/EF/AN can help tracking if R (or is it RN?) seats become available?

Thanks!
No, they do not have access to R inventory. Can only do through searching united in expert mode
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by findark
You'll be hard-pressed to find R space on a weekend and waitlisting is always a dangerous game. If possible, I would also consider a split ticket connection to MEL as MEL-LAX tends to be a bit better than SYD.
Update - booked SYD-LAX-SFO-LAX-MEL and when my friend with a few leftover GPUs applied them they cleared 6 hours later. Now my goal is to try and move to SYD-SFO closer in to avoid a 40 min connection in LA. Thanks all for the great info.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by drew in the air
No, they do not have access to R inventory. Can only do through searching united in expert mode
Got it, thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Chase Club Infinite, Global Entry
MUA Waitlisting Question

Hi everyone. I'm new here (have been an avid reader though!), so please pardon if this is being posted in the wrong place. My family and I (2 PS, 1 PG, Club Card) are looking at EWR-OPO (July 4th) and LIS-EWR (July 10th). Looking to do an MUA (40K miles R/T). System booking into V outbound and S inbound. Plenty of R/RN on the return (763), which would clear upon purchase. Unfortunately only 2 on the outbound to OPO on a 752 (16/16 open at the moment). My thought was to book two PNRs, and have the remaining family member who is the PG as the waitlist on the outbound as a standalone PNR, if that makes sense? Of course, if it's just one person remaining for an upgrade on a single PNR of 3 pax, I'm not sure if the system would read that as one waiting, or would look at it as 3, and skip over us?

I've been down this road before. Waitlisted 9 months out for LAX-SYD with entire Polaris open. We never got the upgrade, unfortunately. Of course this is all a hit or miss, so I'm hoping you all could give me some advice, more specifically how I should request with premier agents as how to best waitlist the last MUA, with the best chances for it to to clear asap. There's a bunch of P/PN for the outbound, if agents would be willing to waitlist as that for a PG? I'm working off of expert mode and a very basic understanding of codes, terms, and policies, so bear with me.

Thanks all. Much appreciated!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 757CO
if it's just one person remaining for an upgrade on a single PNR of 3 pax, I'm not sure if the system would read that as one waiting, or would look at it as 3, and skip over us?
It can't be booked that way. All pax on a single PNR must have the exact same itinerary, including class of service. If the outbound is R2, you can book the two upgraded tickets on a single PNR. The two waitlisted pax can either go on a single (different) PNR, or on two separate PNRs (for a total of three).

July 4 is a great day for upgrades due to zero business travel.

And . . . Welcome to FT!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It can't be booked that way. All pax on a single PNR must have the exact same itinerary, including class of service. If the outbound is R2, you can book the two upgraded tickets on a single PNR. The two waitlisted pax can either go on a single (different) PNR, or on two separate PNRs (for a total of three).

July 4 is a great day for upgrades due to zero business travel.

And . . . Welcome to FT!
Thank you!

Sorry, to clarify: Outbound is R2, inbound is R9. So out of 3 pax, it would be just 1 pax that would be waitlisted for the outbound. Everything else would clear. Best to split the PNR for the 1 pax that is waitlisted, or is it fine to keep all 3 on one PNR? I'm cautious, as I don't want the system to see 3 pax in a single PNR, and look at it as 3 and skip over as seats become available one by one, even though it is just 1 pax waitlisted for an upgrade (if my concerns even make any sense/are valid in this case).
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you!

Sorry, to clarify: Outbound is R2, inbound is R9. So out of 3 pax, it would be just 1 pax that would be waitlisted for the outbound. Everything else would clear. Best to split the PNR for the 1 pax that is waitlisted, or is it fine to keep all 3 on one PNR? I'm cautious, as I don't want the system to see 3 pax in a single PNR, and look at it as 3 and skip over as seats become available one by one, even though it is just 1 pax waitlisted for an upgrade (if my concerns even make any sense/are valid in this case).
You'll need to split the PNR in order to get any of them to clear separately.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
You'll need to split the PNR in order to get any of them to clear separately.
Got it, thank you.

And lastly, what's the best direction in terms of that last pax on a separate PNR being listed for the upgrade? I'm reading that having it listed as R is best because they clear more quickly? Also reading of some lucky low-status folks getting placed into PN (thanks to a great premier agent, which is hit or miss from past experience).

Soliciting all advice on this part.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it, thank you.

And lastly, what's the best direction in terms of that last pax on a separate PNR being listed for the upgrade? I'm reading that having it listed as R is best because they clear more quickly? Also reading of some lucky low-status folks getting placed into PN (thanks to a great premier agent, which is hit or miss from past experience).

Soliciting all advice on this part.
By policy, the correct fare class for upgrades is R, except when using an upgrade from a Global Services member's account, which would clear into PN. I'm not really sure there's much else to ask about.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
or is it fine to keep all 3 on one PNR
Again, that is not possible.

Also reading of some lucky low-status folks getting placed into PN.
That doesn't happen. It's R.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is August a generally low month for TATL traffic, business in particular? I've found a bit of R space but none in September and I'm trying to gauge if that's because it's closer-in now, or if it's a demand lull. Also, the -H- fares stop after July, which suggests someone considers the month "not high season".
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Is August a generally low month for TATL traffic, business in particular? I've found a bit of R space but none in September and I'm trying to gauge if that's because it's closer-in now, or if it's a demand lull. Also, the -H- fares stop after July, which suggests someone considers the month "not high season".
August is not a high demand business travel period to Europe. September/October are difficult. Lots of trade fairs and events.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
August is not a high demand business travel period to Europe. September/October are difficult. Lots of trade fairs and events.
Thanks. Have to disassociate that with the idea of Jun-Aug being crush season for tourism, albeit not a business demand driver
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
August is not a high demand business travel period to Europe. .....
Many Europeans vacation for much of Aug, so there are few folks available for business meetings. But tourist sites are jammed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.