Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Yes. 2 pax will be skipped when PZ1 is available. Booking separate reservations increases the chance of UG clearing with the risk that only 1 may ultimately clear.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Bottom line...yes, you want to use separate reservations if you are fine with just one possibly being upgraded. If you're both on the same reservation and the flight is only PZ=1 then you will both be skipped over.

-RM

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2023 at 2:08 pm Reason: clean up after merge; thanks for the link
Old Sep 6, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone had EWR-DXB clear? I'm currently in PY, trying to get a sense for how hard this route is.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
For those who are relatively new to looking for upgrades and saver awards available at booking, this it what a good flight looks like. Unfortunately, one does not usually see something like this when one usually wants to book

Even a non-status person could get a mileage upgrade on this flight. This is for Thursday. Of course, the numbers were pretty much zero for the buckets of interest a couple of days ago.
LAX/LHR has been very upgrade friendly.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 7:42 pm

I have not been in the upgrade game for a while on international flights. Therefore, I am looking for some pointers on what fare to book to maximize chances to end up in Polaris. I am 1K

I am planning to book a multi leg flight to (ZRH) and form (Rome) Europe to ORD.

1.) Does YBM instant upgrades apply to Europe flights?
2.) If I request point upgrade after booking will this decrease or increase upgrade chances?
3.) What are my upgrade chances in M?
4.) I am assuming when when we talk upgrades it is always meant to Polaris and not that new premium economy?

Currently I ma looking at a M fare that is higher than premium economy. Will I get a default seat in the premium economy. Currently, I can only select more or less standard eco seats when tryign to purchase.

Last edited by nikleb; Sep 6, 2023 at 7:49 pm
Old Sep 6, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nikleb
I have not been in the upgrade game for a while on international flights. Therefore, I am looking for some pointers. I am 1K

I am planning to book a multi leg flight to (ZRH) and form (Rome) Europe to ORD.

1.) Does YBM instant upgrades apply to Europe flights?
2.) If I request point upgrade after booking will this decrease or increase upgrade chances?
3.) What are my upgrade chances in M?
4.) I am assuming when when we talk upgrades it is always meant to Polaris and not that new premium economy?

Currently I ma looking at a M fare that is higher than premium economy. Will I get a default seat in the premium economy. Currently, I can only select more or less standard eco seats when tryign to purchase.
1. No. Domestic CPU routes only (so no SFO/LAX-EWR)
2. Irrelevant since instant upgrades don't apply. You must use some form of 'currency' to request an upgrade (PlusPoints or miles)
3. Can't help with that unless you give us dates and flights. ZRH is generally an easy upgrade. Rome is generally not. But, again, depends on dates (day of week, etc.)
4. You can upgrade separately to PremPlus or Polaris. You can request both and hope for the best. Upgrades discussed in this thread deal with both.

Why would you book an M fare if it costs more than PremPlus? Does your corporate travel policy dictate "lowest economy fare"? Purchasing PremPlus already greatly increases your chances of an upgrade over any coach fare.

-RM
Old Sep 6, 2023, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
1. No. Domestic CPU routes only (so no SFO/LAX-EWR)

Why would you book an M fare if it costs more than PremPlus? Does your corporate travel policy dictate "lowest economy fare"? Purchasing PremPlus already greatly increases your chances of an upgrade over any coach fare.

-RM
Thanks. I just looked at M base for the instant upgrade idea (that I learned now does not apply). So premplus (O or A) are the way to go?

Oct 19th: ZRH-ORD UA direct
Nov 5th: Rome - ORD (through IAD)
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
3 days out, 5th on waitlist:
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P7 O4 A4 R4 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9

United says booked to 52/60 in J, decent chance here?

Last edited by RedPanda5; Sep 6, 2023 at 8:51 pm
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Thanks. I just looked at M base for the instant upgrade idea (that I learned now does not apply). So premplus (O or A) are the way to go?

yes - PremPlus fares are all higher in priority for upgrades to Polaris than any economy fare, regardless of status other than GS. As 1K with P+ ticket you should be high on upgrade list if you apply plus points or miles.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any PremPlus fare is better. O/A/R.

ORD-ZRH is currently J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 O8 A6 R3 but PN0 and PZ0 meaning no immediately confirmable upgrade. You will have to waitlist. But right now it looks very good for a 1K in PremPlus.
FCO-IAD is currently J9 C9 D7 Z4 P1 O5 A0 R0. Also PN0 and PZ0. As mentioned above, this is going to be the much harder flight to upgrade. Chances are not great right now but not 0%.

The PremPlus fare on this itinerary is likely pretty high given O5 R0 on the return leg. But married logic connecting IAD-xxx may allow at least an A fare for sale.

-RM
Old Sep 6, 2023, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
yes - PremPlus fares are all higher in priority for upgrades to Polaris than any economy fare, regardless of status other than GS.
Not quite. Anyone with a GS upgrade instrument, not just any GS.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

…Currently I ma looking at a M fare that is higher than premium economy. Will I get a default seat in the premium economy. Currently, I can only select more or less standard eco seats when tryign to purchase.
As YBM-ups don’t work on long-haul int’l, buying an M fare makes zero sense for the reason you pointed out. Buying the cheaper PremEconomy fare would actually put you ahead of any M fare buyer on the upgrade waitlist outside of a GS. You’d have to apply miles or Plus Points to request the upgrade.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedPanda5
3 days out, 5th on waitlist:
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P7 O4 A4 R4 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9

United says booked to 52/60 in J, decent chance here?
With P7, chances better than 50/50
Old Sep 6, 2023, 11:49 pm

Currently booked into R as a 1K. Pretty slim pickings on EWR-DXB 09/23. If flexible on dates, would you change dates to a flight that's J9 JN9 C9 D5 Z1 ZN1 P0 PN0 PZ0 instead?
Old Sep 7, 2023, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
yes - PremPlus fares are all higher in priority for upgrades to Polaris than any economy fare, regardless of status other than GS. As 1K with P+ ticket you should be high on upgrade list if you apply plus points or miles.
btw. is there a difference in me (1k) booking or my spouse (GS) on separate itineraries?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.