Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 7:32 pm

At ~T-48 hours, the situation for my flight (UA 872, TPE to SFO) looks like follows:

J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN3 PZ0; O9 ON9 A9 R9 RN0

We are 4th and 5th on the upgrade list to Polaris (upgrading from originally purchased R fares). Capacity of 60, with 44(+1 blocked) booked. With the Prem+ oversell (Prem+ currently full), I guess I could be somewhat optimistic that we'll be upgraded?
Old May 27, 2023, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by e_chappy
At ~T-48 hours, the situation for my flight (UA 872, TPE to SFO) looks like follows:

J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN3 PZ0; O9 ON9 A9 R9 RN0

We are 4th and 5th on the upgrade list to Polaris (upgrading from originally purchased R fares). Capacity of 60, with 44(+1 blocked) booked. With the Prem+ oversell (Prem+ currently full), I guess I could be somewhat optimistic that we'll be upgraded?
I’d say your chances are excellent.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
May 25 SFO-EWR 9:30pm

No. 3 with 50+ people on WL, and J was full. Nobody cleared.

Purchased B fare, no less.

PVG-SFO: barely cleared upgrade. Booked in premium economy.

I guess life is hard even for GS!
Old May 28, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I’m on UA 760 from DEN to MUC on Tues in Premium Plus with plus points for the upgrade. Any idea of when they will do any upgrades to Polaris ?
Old May 28, 2023, 10:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I’m on UA 760 from DEN to MUC on Tues in Premium Plus with plus points for the upgrade. Any idea of when they will do any upgrades to Polaris ?
Total seats 48, Booked seats 38 (+6 blocked) , 9 waitlisted
Appears PremPlus is oversold, hence the block.

Baring a major irrops issue, you should clear but it may be not until Check-in
Old May 28, 2023, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I’d say your chances are excellent.
We were cleared when I checked the United app at T-34 hours. Funny enough, there was still quite a list at T-36, but the next clearing took about 10 people off the waitlist.

We were automatically assigned a pair of adjacent seats, though we are able to pick and choose other remaining seats (~5 after the last clearance).

An email from United confirming the upgrade would have been helpful. I'm hoping that getting better shut-eye en-route and in SFO would make for a less intrusive jetlag.

Thanks again to you and the other forum regulars for the helpful insight.
Old May 29, 2023, 12:42 am

I'm interested in booking HNL to MNL on Oct 24 for four people. Award flights for the following route is going to cost about 110,000 points per person. If I were to just buy economy tickets, what do you guys think my chances of upgrading to business using plus points and miles for four people on this flight below:

Old May 29, 2023, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelman0
I'm interested in booking HNL to MNL on Oct 24 for four people. Award flights for the following route is going to cost about 110,000 points per person. If I were to just buy economy tickets, what do you guys think my chances of upgrading to business using plus points and miles for four people on this flight below:
It’s too early to say for sure, but as long as the 77W sticks on HNL-GUM, it should remain a fairly straightforward upgrade.
Old May 31, 2023, 8:29 pm

2 days away from EWR to MXP. 1k with +1, both applied PP. Now the upgrade list shows we are 5 and 6 with a family of 4 ahead of us, there are only 3 seats left. What is the chance we will clear? i.e., will the family of 4 be split and we could jump over some of them, or do they always have higher priority than 2 of us?
Old May 31, 2023, 8:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brandenz
2 days away from EWR to MXP. 1k with +1, both applied PP. Now the upgrade list shows we are 5 and 6 with a family of 4 ahead of us, there are only 3 seats left. What is the chance we will clear? i.e., will the family of 4 be split and we could jump over some of them, or do they always have higher priority than 2 of us?
If the group of 4 keep their upgrade request and check-in, if space opens up, they will be split. Depending on their willingness to be separated, the safe move is to delay checking in and hope for cancellation. However, the counter concern is UA selling a / multiple cash upgrade skipping all the upgraders.
Old May 31, 2023, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What is the chance we will clear?
Pray for thunderstorms at EWR, because a bunch of misconnects is your only realistic chance.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
AMS in JUL/AUG?

I'm seeing ominous inventory indications for these months and I'm loath to take a chance with the high P+ fares of ~2.8K (from ORD/East Coast) when I can just buy J on DL/KLM for ~3.9K outright.
Is anyone successfully using PPs to AMS lately?

Does the KLM 777-300ER have an OK J seat? I know it's 2-2-2.

Edit: It's now 0150 AM (another UA delay has me sitting at an airport with nothing to do) and UA just loaded a bunch of P fares to AMS for 3.9K, matching DL, so I'll go with UA. I'm still interested if FTers are getting PP UGs to AMS in the summer months though.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 1, 2023 at 7:50 am
Old Jun 1, 2023, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If the group of 4 keep their upgrade request and check-in, if space opens up, they will be split. Depending on their willingness to be separated, the safe move is to delay checking in and hope for cancellation. However, the counter concern is UA selling a / multiple cash upgrade skipping all the upgraders.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Pray for thunderstorms at EWR, because a bunch of misconnects is your only realistic chance.
Also the following waiver/alert may affect seat availability across all flights in/out of Italy in the next few days: Travel Waiver/Alert: Italy Industrial Action (June 4, 2023 - June 5, 2023)

David
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:04 pm

IAD/GVA

Flying UA974 IAD to GVA on 12/15, booked O fare

No PZ/PN availability, but plenty of open seats in Polaris. Thoughts on if PP upgrade will clear? Currently on wait list. 1K if it matters. Thanks so much in advance
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ajcrflyer
Flying UA974 IAD to GVA on 12/15, booked O fare

No PZ/PN availability, but plenty of open seats in Polaris. Thoughts on if PP upgrade will clear? Currently on wait list. 1K if it matters. Thanks so much in advance
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'd guess near-0% probability of clearing.

12/15 is the #1 travel day for those taking the final two weeks of the year off.

Many expats (allowed to fly family in J) and embassy staff will be flying home.

J will likely sell out on that flight and if it doesn't, GS will be ahead of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.