Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 11:14 am

I just got my annual fee applied and was a bit conflicted,as i am every year at renewal time, about this card that I keep only for the PQD waiver up to plat and a few trips to a UC every once in a while, but then:

1) I realized it's still the same $375 annual fee, as ever - no price increase
2) two hours later my annual "$100 Birthday gift credit" posted to my Landry Select account, a freebie that comes as a holdover from the days of being a Morton's VIP (which i got from the PP Card way, way back). And just like that, my $375 became more like $275 and I get to east steak and seafood next week.

and all is right again
Old May 2, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
I just got my annual fee applied and was a bit conflicted,as i am every year at renewal time, about this card that I keep only for the PQD waiver up to plat and a few trips to a UC every once in a while, but then:

1) I realized it's still the same $375 annual fee, as ever - no price increase
2) two hours later my annual "$100 Birthday gift credit" posted to my Landry Select account, a freebie that comes as a holdover from the days of being a Morton's VIP (which i got from the PP Card way, way back). And just like that, my $375 became more like $275 and I get to east steak and seafood next week.

and all is right again
Thanks for reminding. I just logged in and see a $25 birthday credit. I'm also a former Morton's VIP that got converted to a Landry's account. Haven't been to a Landry's establishment in over a year.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Has anyone else received a new card recently? The new look seems quite different to the last few versions. Does anyone have any thoughts about the new design?
Got a new card today as a result of an expiry date coming up and it is the same as my old blue chip one (bottom left). No black card for me.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Got a new card today as a result of an expiry date coming up and it is the same as my old blue chip one (bottom left). No black card for me.
Well count me a a little jealous; I think the blue design looks quite classy!
Old May 23, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
My annual fee went up to 450 this year, darn.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: United
I just want to close the loop on my earlier posts. I had a lifetime President's Club membership and had been paying $100 a year for the Presidential Plus card so I was upset to read that it was going up to $450 a year. While I've used FPQM to bump me up to Premier Status some years and taken advantage of Premier Access on others I couldn't justify the premium over the Explorer Card when I already have United Club access.

Well my annual fee hit last month and it was still $100! I never got any notification that the notice of the increase was in error or anything like that. So it's all good (at least for another year).

I also recently got a new card and it's the classy black one. Seems someone used my number to buy a Coke from a vending machine in California (where I wasn't). So Chase sent me a new card.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Anyone else having a fraud issue with their PPlus card? My card numbers just got
stolen and used for fraud in Mexico for the 3rd time
in the last month. Per Chase, they’re having a problem with people just randomly trying cards using the first 6 digits of the card number (which don’t change when reissued) until they find one that works. It’s all been small dollar amounts - all less than $10, so I’m glad I’ve caught it. We’ve now blocked all foreign transactions and ratcheted up scrutiny of US based ones. Pain in the neck for a card I use for international travel.

Anyone else in the 5466 xxxx xxxx xxxx card range having problems?
Yes, contacted by Chase Fraud. They questioned a $50 in a CA grocery store. Declined the charge, sent me a new card.

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Received a replacement card recently. Doesn't seem as "nice" - thinner, doesn't feel special anymore

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 28, 2018 at 4:49 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Anyone else having a fraud issue with their PPlus card? My card numbers just got
stolen and used for fraud in Mexico for the 3rd time
in the last month. Per Chase, they’re having a problem with people just randomly trying cards using the first 6 digits of the card number (which don’t change when reissued) until they find one that works. It’s all been small dollar amounts - all less than $10, so I’m glad I’ve caught it. We’ve now blocked all foreign transactions and ratcheted up scrutiny of US based ones. Pain in the neck for a card I use for international travel.

Anyone else in the 5466 xxxx xxxx xxxx card range having problems?

I had forgotten about this thread.

Yes I am 5466 ....

My experience is total opposite.

I live in Mexico 7-8 months a year. I always advise Chase of my travel plans and have had no problems until this year.
Now, it is declined prob 50% of the time.

I called Chase a couple times (from Mexico) the 1st CSR said it must be the terminals, tho they were in locations such as a large chain grocery store I always frequent or a particular restaurant, where I always use the PP card. 2nd CSR said the chip must be going bad, and offered to send a new card. Since I was returning to the States in a couple weeks I said just wait, and since returning have had no issues at all.

The last time they detected fraud was when I was in Ohio a couple years ago and someone tried using the card number at a restaurant for $30 at Disney World in Orlando. When I was notified of that incident I was amazed, they said Disney World seemed out of my normal spending habit, haha.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The new card looks like an old Continental Elite Card.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cova
The new card looks like an old Continental Elite Card.
It's the same design as the mileage plus club card. This new card design pretty much rips another CO memory.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
It's the same design as the mileage plus club card. This new card design pretty much rips another CO memory.
On my 1K card the CO globe design is only on the lower, left side of the card (1/4 of the card). On the PP card, the CO globe covers the entire card.

As a CO fan, I love the continued good memories of CO and its great workers (particularly out of IAH and CLE and DCA).

My UA club card also has the same CO globe covering the entire card like the PP card.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: CO Plat, Hertz Gold, Hilton & Avis Gold, Starwood Gold
Fraud - I had the card replaced 3 times in the last year due to fraud in Mexico. With permission, Chase cut off transactions from that country. I simply use a different card when I am in the area. But they have not found a solution to their problem, and it is a major pain if you have auto-pay transactions denied when they shut down an account.
FEE - On the fee, the costs did go up last year for most people. If you have lifetime President's Club membership (now United Club), the cost is still $100 annually.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bartonhill
Fraud - I had the card replaced 3 times in the last year due to fraud in Mexico. With permission, Chase cut off transactions from that country. I simply use a different card when I am in the area. But they have not found a solution to their problem, and it is a major pain if you have auto-pay transactions denied when they shut down an account.
FEE - On the fee, the costs did go up last year for most people. If you have lifetime President's Club membership (now United Club), the cost is still $100 annually.
Glad it's not just me, and it's the same problem from the same region... just happened again 2 weeks ago, and is really starting to tick me off something fierce. I'm ready to tell Chase where to stick this card..
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Glad it's not just me, and it's the same problem from the same region... just happened again 2 weeks ago, and is really starting to tick me off something fierce. I'm ready to tell Chase where to stick this card..
I and some friends with the card all had very small transactions from the same merchant in Mexico show up on our PP cards around November 2017. This happened over the course of a few days. The charges were immediately declined and we each had our card replaced. A cuple of us had this happen twice. It seemed to me as if someone had a list of cards and was trying them all to see what would stick. Chase seems good about detecting such fraud -- but the downstream annoyances of having to replace the card are exgtremely frustrating.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
When mine was a Mastercard 5466 I had a case of fraud annually, all domestic (Target, Michael Kors, Kroger), from the year I opened the card until 2015, when, since I was getting a new card number anyways I switched it to Visa so I could use ApplyPay. Since it has been Visa, I have had no fraud (knock on wood). I did some analysis and the only unique place I had visited in the month before each fraudulent charge was the EWR Terminal C garage payment kiosk. Coincidence?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.