Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
UAX flight on Sunday - EMB175 operated by Republic
No delays - boarding commence right on time.
No attempt at PDB.

Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ari
I had a flight that boarded late and the FA's skipped PDB's but apologized to the F cabin after closing the door explaining that they had to get the flight out on time. That is the right way to do it if there is a lapse in service. We boarded a full 738 in 20 minutes instead of 35 minutes, so I guess it was fair. Service on the flight was otherwise good.
I had this exact thing happen this past weekend on UAx. Inbound was delayed and IAH was slot controlled due to weather. The FA apologized to the whole cabin and explained we needed to turn the plane in under 30 mins or risk losing our slot. I appreciated the explanation and acknowledgment, which I had never gotten before. Maybe its a new trend?

Full drink service once in the air even though this was just 35 minute flight time.
mdtakamine likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Returning to this thread as it is a periodic occurance (pet peeve) where I am not allowed a cocktail at pre-departure service on an INTL flight with FAs claiming that liquor carts are locked on the ground. Only water/oj/sparkling wine. The current case is NRT-ORD. I asked if this was a NRT rule, and the FAclaimed it is policy for departures from all international departures, and he says it with absolute certainty that it is difficult to counter without escalating beyond reason. As I’ve said in previous posts, 90%+ of my international departures don’t have this issue. Previous posters have claimed that it is individual FAs making the decision to break rules and open the carts on ground. I just don’t believe that. Can anyone clarify official policy on this?
LimeyFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No PDB more often now?

Prior to this month, in the past two years I can't recall having had the PDB skipped. Now out of eight flights this month I've had it skipped on three (one UAX, one Hawaii, one standard domestic mainline). Has something happened? Or did lightning strike?

-----

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Returning to this thread as it is a periodic occurance (pet peeve) where I am not allowed a cocktail at pre-departure service on an INTL flight with FAs claiming that liquor carts are locked on the ground. Only water/oj/sparkling wine. The current case is NRT-ORD. I asked if this was a NRT rule, and the FAclaimed it is policy for departures from all international departures, and he says it with absolute certainty that it is difficult to counter without escalating beyond reason. As I’ve said in previous posts, 90%+ of my international departures don’t have this issue. Previous posters have claimed that it is individual FAs making the decision to break rules and open the carts on ground. I just don’t believe that. Can anyone clarify official policy on this?
In short, there are some idiosyncrasies in rules, and those combine with the somewhat common UA FA behaviour of contriving rules, so that it can be difficult to predict whether or not liquor is allowed for PDB

Here are some descriptions from fezzington of SOP, from posts made in a couple different threads:
Originally Posted by fezzington
You're right, that's the new procedure in theory.

However, in reality, catering has not put any ground liquor onboard. It used to be housed in along with the mini champagne and beer. The liquor and beer have disappeared from this atlas carrier and have been replaced by more mini champagne bottles to accommodate the new procedure. The liquor and beer stock is now only found in the half sized drink carts that are going out into the aisle, which are not supposed to be opened until in flight. Some FAs may be willing to open those carts on the ground to alleviate the issue, but others are definitely not -- I believe liability for failure to follow the correct procedure falls on the individual. I've put in a question about it to the tower, but I haven't heard back yet.

The feedback I've gotten from crews is that it does help having the suggestion of the three, and there are few orders for anything else. Waste so far has been minimal.
--
Originally Posted by fezzington
The previous flight's supplies are left onboard when the crew deplanes. If catering doesn't get there in time and the previous flight was domestic, it's not uncommon to use some of those supplies for PDBs (this happens on domestic flights too). IME, liquor is offloaded at any station that would have Polaris service once catering does arrive.

Liability is a customs infraction, which can carry a monetary fine to the company and/or the individual. It's also a pain in the ... to deal with from what I've heard.

exUS flights are bonded carts, as are flights from Europe, Israel, India, GUM, and SIN. It turns out that flights from PEK/PVG/CTU, SYD/MEL, and the rest of the island hopper destinations aren't bonded, which is news to me, as I don't typically work those routes.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Just ask for one, I normally receive one when I ask…
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I really need it, of course I'll ask, but in general it's kind of hard to ask when the FA doesn't come back from the galley at all.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
If I really need it, of course I'll ask, but in general it's kind of hard to ask when the FA doesn't come back from the galley at all.
call button?
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
call button?
Ahh the call button, I call it the placebo button. You think you will get service but you actually don't.
iluv2fly and 19taco78 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So PDB is only available by call button, then?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
So PDB is only available by call button, then?
in the instances that you have described, it appears so. I don’t see the reason for the narrative as to why, rather than remedying the situation with a little assertive gesture. Perhaps in the future, prior to take off you can get the flight attendants attention when they are in the cabin And make your desire known
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

... remedying the situation with a little assertive gesture.

In my experience, using a "little assertive gesture" with a UA FA early on in the flight resulted in "death stares" by that FA for the rest of the flight.
Miggles, 19taco78 and gcashin like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by narvik
In my experience, using a "little assertive gesture" with a UA FA early on in the flight resulted in "death stares" by that FA for the rest of the flight.
I guess it depends on how you ask? I’ve always been received with a cordial reply and it even helped my experience in the cabin for the rest of the flight. I typically state something like the following.” I know you’re busy with boarding, however if you have a moment I wonder if I can have a cocktail “
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

I guess it depends on how you ask?
Not in my experience with some FAs.
Sadly.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:16 am

Prior to this month, in the past two years I can't recall having had the PDB skipped. Now out of eight flights this month I've had it skipped on three (one UAX, one Hawaii, one standard domestic mainline). Has something happened? Or did lightning strike?

They have to pay for the return of Stroopwaffles in economy somehow.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA *G, Marriot Platinum
0 for 3 (almost)

Took my mileage run in paid first and was very much looking forward to 3 PDB's since I paid for them afterall, but would have been 0 for 3 had I not asked on the final flight. She was offering water and I politely asked if they stopped doing "other" beverages and she said they were trying to board quickly but would get me whatever I wanted. So I type this with a Vodka/Soda at my side. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.