Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: diburning
A recap of some of the key features of the p.s. product:
  • 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

For other passengers in BusinessFirst, access to United Club at LAX, SFO, and JFK for departure and arrival.

As of 24 October, 2015, the Global First Lounge and United Club at JFK will close, and on 25 October, 2015, p.s. service will be transitioned from JFK to EWR. A mixture of p.s. configured 757 and TATL 757 (with 16 BusinessFirst seats) aircrafts will be used for the transitioned service.

No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

Premier members who request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award on or after 1 February, 2015, for a p.s. route between New York JFK and Los Angeles or San Francisco will no longer be exempt from the co-pay. Same Co-Pay requirements apply following the transition to EWR. LINK

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Isn't that basically priced at where B6 offers Mint? I haven't flown it so I can't speak to product differential, but if I wanted to pay up to J on UA that's not a terrible deal.
Mint starts at $599 and climbs quickly from there.

Not withstanding the IFE, Mint hard and soft product are better than ps.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Mint starts at $599 and climbs quickly from there.

Not withstanding the IFE, Mint hard and soft product are better than ps.
Does Mint get you Airspace lounge access at JFK? Is there a lounge at the other end of the route?
Old May 18, 2015, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Does Mint get you Airspace lounge access at JFK? Is there a lounge at the other end of the route?
No and no.

You can pay to access the lounge in JFK, but it adds (very) little value over the terminal.

LAX terminal (4) is pretty junky.

Last edited by anc-ord772; May 18, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
No and no.
You can pay to access the lounge in JFK, but it adds (very) little value over the terminal.
T5 concessions cant compete with that lounge inbound to JFK on a redeye. With Amex plat it's free; otherwise $20.

That shower in that lounge is better than most F lounges. Breakfast included too.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
T5 concessions cant compete with that lounge inbound to JFK on a redeye. With Amex plat it's free; otherwise $20.

That shower in that lounge is better than most F lounges. Breakfast included too.
Yes the (1) shower is the value add IMO. Although better than most F lounges?
Old May 20, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
No and no.

LAX terminal (4) is pretty junky.
LAX Terminal 4 is the AA terminal. That's pretty junky???

Perhaps you mean LAX Terminal 3, which is the terminal from which B6 flies?
Old May 21, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
It's a pretty big space in there for the shower, plus a TV, the Japanese toilet. The towels are good too. On the downside: the amenities are not a brand that anyone recognizes.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:06 pm

How do I know if a flight is p.s.?

I have been surprised with paid first tickets on an SFO-JFK itinerary. (My partner wants me to visit him in NYC for the weekend, and he knows I hate flying that far for that short of a trip. So I think it's more of a bribe.)

Anyway, I was looking at how one would book those tickets and noted that I didn't see any PS flights on the dates in question - at least not obviously from the booking screen. How does one book those flights, or tell what kind of flight you're on? If it helps they're flights 758 on 6/5 and 514 on 6/7.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
All flights from SFO/LAX to JFK are p.s.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:13 pm

"In the future, all restaurants are Taco Bell."

Thanks - I guess if I'm gonna fly SFO-JFK this will be as good as it gets.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JakiChan
"In the future, all restaurants are Taco Bell."
STOP!!!!!!!!!
I just made my Facebook status "How about dinner and dancing at Taco Bell?" about 2 hours ago.

And regards to not seeing the flights when you searched maybe your search was only using "EWR" and not "NYC"?

Yes it's a nice way to get back and forth from coast to coast. You'll also get lounge access at each airport before your flight which would normally be reserved for international travel or Club members.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
I have been surprised with paid first tickets on an SFO-JFK itinerary. (My partner wants me to visit him in NYC for the weekend, and he knows I hate flying that far for that short of a trip. So I think it's more of a bribe.)
Definitely PS flights, and definitely a very nice surprise.

One suggestion: when the time comes to return the favor , and have him come over to SFO for the weekend, get him tickets on JetBlue's JFK-SFO Mint service. It is likely to be nicer - and cheaper. (Now I am a spoilsport, sorry!)
Old May 26, 2015, 7:08 pm

Anyway, I was looking at how one would book those tickets and noted that I didn't see any PS flights on the dates in question - at least not obviously from the booking screen. How does one book those flights, or tell what kind of flight you're on? If it helps they're flights 758 on 6/5 and 514 on 6/7.
Neither UA, DL or B6 offer a first class product between JFK-SFO/LAX. Best they have is business class.

AA offers a new A321 with a dedicated first class product (as well as business class and economy).
Old May 26, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Neither UA, DL or B6 offer a first class product between JFK-SFO/LAX. Best they have is business class.

AA offers a new A321 with a dedicated first class product (as well as business class and economy).
Isn't that simply semantics? Almost seems willfully misleading to 99% of the population, particularly when run-of-the-mill domestic first still bills itself as a "first class product."
Old May 27, 2015, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Isn't that simply semantics? Almost seems willfully misleading to 99% of the population, particularly when run-of-the-mill domestic first still bills itself as a "first class product."
Not semantics in the slightest. If it is misleading to anyone, it is because they don't appreciate the service on the routes.

Service between JFK and LAX/SFO on AA, B6, DL and UA is a completely different animal than their other domestic flights.

AA has F on a 3-class of service aircraft on those routes. UA used to have F on those routes and dumped it. AA is presently the only airline with F on those routes. The other carriers only offer a business seat/service.

That is not semantics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.