Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Premium Service Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2015)

p.s. Premium Service Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2015)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 27, 16, 5:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: diburning
Wiki Link
A recap of some of the key features of the p.s. product:
  • 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)



The Global First Lounge at JFK is open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

For other passengers in BusinessFirst, access to United Club at LAX, SFO, and JFK for departure and arrival.

As of 24 October, 2015, the Global First Lounge and United Club at JFK will close, and on 25 October, 2015, p.s. service will be transitioned from JFK to EWR. A mixture of p.s. configured 757 and TATL 757 (with 16 BusinessFirst seats) aircrafts will be used for the transitioned service.

No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

Premier members who request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award on or after 1 February, 2015, for a p.s. route between New York JFK and Los Angeles or San Francisco will no longer be exempt from the co-pay. Same Co-Pay requirements apply following the transition to EWR. LINK

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 15, 11:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LA
Posts: 7,150
p.s. Premium Service Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2015)

Conflicted.

JFK->LAX ps $230 + wait listed RPU, or B6 Mint for $599... What would you do?
anc-ord772 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:06 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Plat; UA 1MM (former 1K)
Posts: 1,234
The wait listed RPU probably won't clear.

A student of mine flew private, and flew B6 Mint, recently. He said B6 Mint was better. Get the solo seat if you can.
Syzygies is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:09 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,540
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
Conflicted.

JFK->LAX ps $230 + wait listed RPU, or B6 Mint for $599... What would you do?
UA only if you care about the miles. Otherwise save the RPU for a flight you can confirm at booking.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:14 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LA
Posts: 7,150
Originally Posted by Syzygies View Post
The wait listed RPU probably won't clear.

A student of mine flew private, and flew B6 Mint, recently. He said B6 Mint was better. Get the solo seat if you can.
I've had tremendous luck with upgrades clearing over the past 6 years. That being said, I've noticed upgrades have become tremendously difficult for some. Flying this Tuesday on ps, upgraded of course. Sad to think it might be my last for some time. My mint option does have the solo seat available.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
UA only if you care about the miles. Otherwise save the RPU for a flight you can confirm at booking.
I no longer care about the miles and I am dropping from 1K to Gold. The ticket is so cheap it wouldn't earn many RDMs anyway.
anc-ord772 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:46 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
Just got off UA233 LAX-JFK 12/2 and everything was fine but as with much wasn't memorable.
The menu (beef, chicken tamale, pasta)is decent, but tired. I've had better & I've had worse.
The crew was pretty nice and friendly for the most part. I've had better & I've had worse.
Flight had Wifi which was fairly decent speed and instead of 2 hours for $14 it was doing buy 2 get 1 free.

I guess the most interesting part didn't happen to me but provided a little entertainment was the mother/son in 5A/B had the father daughter in row 4. Row 4 across from them came on which was a couple so the FA working our back section of J asked if they wanted to switch so the family could all be in one row.
They obliged. When it came meal time the tray table in 5A wouldn't work or come out, two FAs tried it. The woman then got a bit snippy with the FA because it was the FAs fault as they made them swap and it wouldn't have happened otherwise. FA was pretty cool about it, apologized, said they didn't know there was a mx problem and would do the best to serve them still since they were a couple and could sorta work together with the one tray table and the center console.
I saw the blue customer kit come out and gave them each a white card.
JVPhoto is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:59 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,540
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
I saw the blue customer kit come out and gave them each a white card.
Broken tray table? 250 miles
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 4, 15, 2:03 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 598
Food overnight flight

I have a booking for SFO-JFK departing at 22:30 in SFO in BF.

Is there any food served on the red eye?


Last year I flew SFO-IAD with the same flight times in domestic F and no food was served so I was wondering if I should eat at the airport or not.

Any experiences are appreciated.
Tirreg is offline  
Old Jan 4, 15, 4:47 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
I believe it is an expedited snack type service on the red-eye p.s.
JVPhoto is offline  
Old Jan 8, 15, 3:27 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LAX & EWR/JFK
Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Posts: 1,430
Momentary panic attack... checking an upcoming PS reservation and seatmap has gone back to old style without the galley & lav between rows 4 & 5.

Then I checked, and all the other flights are also showing the old style seatmap...

... but my gut reaction was equipment downgrade.


Upgrades (with RPUs) cleared at T-6 days ^

Last edited by Phil Level; Jan 11, 15 at 9:20 am
Phil Level is offline  
Old Jan 8, 15, 3:31 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, Hilton
Posts: 736
Originally Posted by Tirreg View Post
I have a booking for SFO-JFK departing at 22:30 in SFO in BF.

Is there any food served on the red eye?


Last year I flew SFO-IAD with the same flight times in domestic F and no food was served so I was wondering if I should eat at the airport or not.

Any experiences are appreciated.
I took this flight on 12-27 redeye and was served the beef burrito kind of thing
jasonp622 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 15, 2:43 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY/HK/SG
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 2
Booked JFK - LAX for next weekend today. Fare bucket at time of booking showed R(N)0. Used a RPU showing waitlist but was cleared immediately. Probably because of GS status?

Also took a look at the seat map. The lav/galley is missing but it still shows angled seats, instead of the boxes. What does this mean?
luckymonkey is offline  
Old Jan 23, 15, 3:14 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,540
Originally Posted by luckymonkey View Post
Booked JFK - LAX for next weekend today. Fare bucket at time of booking showed R(N)0. Used a RPU showing waitlist but was cleared immediately. Probably because of GS status?
Because GS don't book into R, they book into PN.

UA releases very little R inventory on ps, but quite a bit of PN.

Also took a look at the seat map. The lav/galley is missing but it still shows angled seats, instead of the boxes. What does this mean?
That's how ps always displays. It doesn't mean anything. You don't worry about a swap unless they're showing the square boxes as seats.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 23, 15, 3:20 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY/HK/SG
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Because GS don't book into R, they book into PN.

UA releases very little R inventory on ps, but quite a bit of PN.



That's how ps always displays. It doesn't mean anything. You don't worry about a swap unless they're showing the square boxes as seats.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
luckymonkey is offline  
Old Feb 11, 15, 7:29 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LAX & EWR/JFK
Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Posts: 1,430
My apologies if this is a little off-topic.

LAX-JFK PS flights on Saturday Feb 21, and Sunday Feb 22 are really $$$$$. I've been going to NYC in Feb for the last 7 years in Feb for meetings and usually this is off season and ticket can be had for under $200 o/w.

I booked in late January, and the best I could find was the Sunday night LAX-JFK red eye for $326, while the return flight was a "normal" $160.

Usually the weekend red-eye is an easy UG to clear, but at the rate J is filling up, I'm not so sure. Y seats on Saturday & Sunday (Feb 21/22) are now quoted mostly $700 and up. By contrast, tickets for this weekend (Feb 14/15) are only $450.

There must be some event going on in NYC driving up the demand, but I can't figure it out. Surely someone on FT must know what is causing this unusual demand and pricing.

Thanks,

Phil
Phil Level is offline  
Old Feb 11, 15, 8:21 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Posts: 4,631
Originally Posted by Phil Level View Post
My apologies if this is a little off-topic.

LAX-JFK PS flights on Saturday Feb 21, and Sunday Feb 22 are really $$$$$. I've been going to NYC in Feb for the last 7 years in Feb for meetings and usually this is off season and ticket can be had for under $200 o/w.

I booked in late January, and the best I could find was the Sunday night LAX-JFK red eye for $326, while the return flight was a "normal" $160.

Usually the weekend red-eye is an easy UG to clear, but at the rate J is filling up, I'm not so sure. Y seats on Saturday & Sunday (Feb 21/22) are now quoted mostly $700 and up. By contrast, tickets for this weekend (Feb 14/15) are only $450.

There must be some event going on in NYC driving up the demand, but I can't figure it out. Surely someone on FT must know what is causing this unusual demand and pricing.

Thanks,

Phil
It is a holiday week. With Presidents' Day on Monday there are lots of schools in the East that have the week off.
sfozrhfco is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: