Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Michael D
Previous threads: 2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
Print Wikipost

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Kacee
You took them both, right?
Um UA has offered this to me many many times, but after much debate......NO!

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Maybe they were priced in HK $? If priced in USD, these make no sense whatsoever, but then this is UA we're dealing with.
Definitely priced in USD. At check-in on the mobile app, the price offered is $679 as I have posted multiple times before.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:16 am

Recent SEA-SFO priced consistently at $189 leading up to the flight.

After my CPU cleared, I stopped checking.

(And, no, would never pay $189 to upgrade to F on this route.)
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:50 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
1K on a K fare.
ORD-SEA
$99 upgrade offer on app with note saying "1 First seat left, 29 people on upgrade list"

Offer accepted
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AJLondon
$99 upgrade offer on app with note saying "1 First seat left, 29 people on upgrade list"
That is very effective marketing
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:25 pm

$128 SFO-LAS
$155 LAS-SFO

Base fare (R/T) was a ridiculous $108.

Declined the UFC; CPU looks probable, if not I can handle E+.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I'm on an A fare SFO-LHR, but D fare FRA-SFO.

They offered to upgrade the return for $3,999.

Declined -- I'll take my rear-facing C seat!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
I've done it. It wreaks havoc with their IT systems and your PNR.
Yes it do. I was checking in @ FRA > ORD last year on paid BF and the check-in agent said "You can upgrade to GF if you like. Let me see what it will cost or use GPU..." I immediately declined the offer but he'd already started typing. BOOM goes the dynamite. Seat assignment lost, PNR had to be completely resurrected over the next 30 minutes with supervisors attending. Lesson Learned: Do not let anyone into your PNR at either this point in the process or this close to flight time, especially international. FWIW, I got the feeling this guy was inexperienced.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:33 am

LHR to EWR

Flying LHR to EWR on 09/13, flight UA16.

Offered $1029 to upgrade to BusinessFirst. Checked 18 hours before check-in.

Seat map showed 3 un-assigned seats.

Looks like a rather steep price to me!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Wow - now that is some creative marketing.

I have found BOS-IAH to be a very easy upgrade in the past, as both 1K and GS, although I have not flown the route for six months or so, and I know they are using smaller aircraft on some flights now.
I sat in the back on that route on a H fare with an instrument waitlisted ... not sure what easy means for you ... really tough route in my books.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO-PHX
1K on a G fare
$229

Did I take it? Are you kidding? The RT ticket only cost me $182!

F booked 12/16, #1 on the WL. But UA's going to sell this upgrade out from under me.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:13 pm

IAD-LAX on a 3 class 777
Buy-up to Global First $2262 (2 seats available at that price)
Silver, Z fare booked as part of IAD-LAX-MEL (sitting in J)

(annoyed because I've had a mileage upgrade request pending for a month which I'm guessing won't clear)
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Sorry if this is a dumb question: I see numerous reports in this thread of people continuing to check for UFC offers after they have already checked in for a flight. I didn't even know it was possible to accept such an offer if you already declined to upgrade when offered at check-in.

How do you do this? Is the upgrade tab on your reservation still active?
Did this last week on EWR-LHR. Checked in with no offer. When I went to the mobile app to pull up my boarding pass in security, it kind of made me go through some of the "check in" process again. At that time I was offered BF on a 2-class 777 from a K fare for $679. I bit and the boarding pass the app spit out included my new seat.

On a bit of a side note, I had put in a miles+co-pay request a couple weeks prior and have yet to see that charge and my miles get re-deposited. I'm hoping they're just slow and I didn't screw myself there. Anyone have experience taking a paid upgrade when they've already put a miles+copay request in?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Silver
PHX-ORD. $326 total for RT K Fare. $109 to upgrade one-way to ORD.

Bought the ticket a week or two ago and was checking to see if there were any better seats to change to, and offer popped up. They wanted $300+ to upgrade when I made the reservation.

Accepted.

I'll check the app on the way back to see if I can get it again. Right now they want $324 for the ORD-PHX leg.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bizzarODog
On a bit of a side note, I had put in a miles+co-pay request a couple weeks prior and have yet to see that charge and my miles get re-deposited. I'm hoping they're just slow and I didn't screw myself there. Anyone have experience taking a paid upgrade when they've already put a miles+copay request in?
You're probably going to have to request that refund.

Originally Posted by Kacee
F booked 12/16, #1 on the WL. But UA's going to sell this upgrade out from under me.
As indeed they did. Died at #1 on the WL.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by CMK10
That is very effective marketing
Well, it is also extremely offensive to the person who is #1 on the list out of loyalty and pricing that for the low price of $99, we will let ANYONE pass you on the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.