Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Michael D
Previous threads: 2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
Print Wikipost

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Just to clarify, can you call in and ask for an upgrade for cash if R>0?

I thought that was a website feature, which triggers with some combination of capacity policies and/or probabilities.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Just to clarify, can you call in and ask for an upgrade for cash if R>0?

I thought that was a website feature, which triggers with some combination of capacity policies and/or probabilities.
I think you would want to see what available / relevant F/J buckets are available if you want to buy up to another fare class. R is strictly for instrument upgrades. In a logical world, if there was R availability, you should be able to buy up to F/J as well, but given the inscrutable nature of the booking system, that maybe isn't always the case
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
When I used to waitlist for TATL upgrades, I would often note that R opening up would coincide with a drop in the buy-up price online. Have not waitlisted for TATL in about two years, though.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:52 pm

This one is two months old but thought you all would find it interesting...

MCO-ORD
Already checked in at T-24 in E+ (L class)
Find my seat has been changed on day of flight, check the app and see my 757-200 is now a 3 class 767
$100 for BF on mobile app

Accepted - I was sick as a dog and wanted to sleep so it was worth every penny.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:35 pm

SFO-JFK
V Fare
$299 offer with 27/28 seats booked

Accepted and booked into ZN. The offer is not amazing - BF is worth ~$375 on P.S flights if booked far enough in advance - but I had to do a last minute schedule change today (was originally going to depart next Friday) so I was more than happy to pay for the upgrade.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm booking two RT tickets for myself and a colleague on the same itinerary and I want to upgrade only my economy fare at time of booking. Can I do so or do both of us have to upgrade of neither of us can?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JaysonW
I'm booking two RT tickets for myself and a colleague on the same itinerary and I want to upgrade only my economy fare at time of booking. Can I do so or do both of us have to upgrade of neither of us can?
Not if you book them together. You'll have to split the PNR to upgrade only one ticket.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: CX SL
A friend of mine (silver) traveling with his girlfriend got the offer to upgrade to F on PIT-EWR on Aug 13 for $9. That's DIRT CHEAP considering only 2 seats were left in E+ at the time of booking.

I envy him.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by michaelworchid
A friend of mine (silver) traveling with his girlfriend got the offer to upgrade to F on PIT-EWR on Aug 13 for $9. That's DIRT CHEAP considering only 2 seats were left in E+ at the time of booking.
That depends what fare class his ticket was. If it was a Q or higher, probably just the fare differential to heavily discounted F.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
Does it makes a difference in the offer if I have non elite UA FF versus an AV * Silv

I have heard in the past that if You were elite and You had your UA FF number attached to the reservation You were normally getting higher prices for upgrades than non elite, is still happening? Should I add my non elite UA FF number wait for the offer and change the FF after I get the upgrade? or I can add the Avianca elite silver status FF and will get the same price.

I am asking this because I am hoping to purchase an OLCI upgrade for my SAP-IAH it normally has a lot of Business class seats available.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
It would be even easier to just not use a FF# to begin with, and then add it after the upgrade, or claim credit for it after the flight.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
BOS-ORD - K fare. Offer at purchase was $139 to PN. Declined.
ORD-BOS - N fare. Offer at purchase was $169 to PN. Declined.

I'm assuming that it UGs to PN based on the fine print underneath that says mileage earning is still based on the original fare paid.

After the reservation ticketed...

BOS-ORD - $193, UG to A/P? Declined.
ORD-BOS - $247, UG to A/P? Declined.

The current A fare would cost less. I'm assuming the post-ticketing offers map to either A or P since the fine print says that mileage earnings are based on the new fare class.

I'll wait until the travel date is closer to see if the offers come down. F is wide open at this point.

I have no status, but if UA keeps throwing me bones, I'll have it in no time.

Last edited by diburning; Aug 2, 2015 at 10:00 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Upcoming CLE-DEN flight:

K fare
Offer at purchase: $374, declined.
Offer after purchase: $342, will not upgrade at this price.

Maybe that price will change between now and check in, but I'm not holding my breath.

An interesting observation is that the current upgrade offer is priced $171 each way; or $374 for the entire itinerary. Anyone see something wrong with that?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I checked in goalie-dad SFO-EWR-PBI this morning for his travel tomorrow on an award ticket (miles from his account and goalie-dad is MP gold). Offered $229 for the entire outbound trip. goalie-dad said nyet
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
I checked in goalie-dad SFO-EWR-PBI this morning for his travel tomorrow on an award ticket (miles from his account and goalie-dad is MP gold). Offered $229 for the entire outbound trip. goalie-dad said nyet
Damn! I would have paid it myself for him!

My own: LAX-ORD in October, not sure what the original fare class was.

After booking, pop up upgrade offer $329 to an Int'l configured 757 (hope it sticks).

I accepted. Booked in to P.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.