FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would guess that a higher percentage of Americans on international flights would have pre-check than those on domestic flights. For example, I typically see much longer lines at SFO international pre-check than at SFO domestic.
Again - what percentage of pax in total do they represent - 5 percent??? As much as we want the tail to wag the dog that's not how you design an efficient airport....
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Those that know the shortcuts make it through quicker - just like at most US airports....
Yes, in general, TSA and the airports make little effort to direct pax to the Pre line through signage or otherwise . . . in most instances you need to figure it out for yourself.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I typically see much longer lines at SFO international pre-check than at SFO domestic.
The lines at the various SFO pre checkpoints depend very much on time of day. Go at 7 am and international will be empty, premier will have 50 pax in line. At 10 am, it's the opposite.

The international pre-check line is the most inefficient one at SFO.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
what percentage of pax in total do they represent - 5 percent?
Whatever the actual number, it sure seems to me to be it's a higher percentage than for domestic flights, so I see no reason to have it in one place and not the other.

that's not how you design an efficient airport....
We're talking about IAH, not an efficient airport. Last time we flew through there, there were only two screening lines to handle multiple inbound widebodies.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Sigh... Threads like this remind me why I might as well stuck it up and stick with UA. It's easy to get frustrated when flying, but ultimately most domestic airlines offer similar products and it's better to have status.

[Disclaimer: I've never tried B6 mint.]
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uanj
If the seatbelt sign has been on a while, there is no turbulence and you need to go, why not get up and go??? That's what most people do. The FA may point out the seatbelt sign is on which is his/her duty. And then two minutes later you will feel relieved!
The "policy" is that you should remain seated when the seat belt sign is on.

In practice, if the FA's are not seated, feel free to use the restroom if you really have to go, although be mindful of food/beverage service.

If the FA's are strapped in, stay in your seat.

I've never had any issue using the restroom if the FA's weren't seated and I sure as hell wouldn't unbuckle my seat belt if the FA's feel they need to be buckled in.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by raehl311
The "policy" is that you should remain seated when the seat belt sign is on.

In practice, if the FA's are not seated, feel free to use the restroom if you really have to go, although be mindful of food/beverage service.

If the FA's are strapped in, stay in your seat.

I've never had any issue using the restroom if the FA's weren't seated and I sure as hell wouldn't unbuckle my seat belt if the FA's feel they need to be buckled in.
This is my policy as well: if it's safe enough for the FAs to be performing service, then it's safe for me to get up and go pee; if it's not safe for the FAs to be up and about, then I'm staying seated. FAs understand that when you've gotta go, you've gotta go.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is my policy as well: if it's safe enough for the FAs to be performing service, then it's safe for me to get up and go pee; if it's not safe for the FAs to be up and about, then I'm staying seated. FAs understand that when you've gotta go, you've gotta go.
Surely if you were in danger of soiling yourself you would ignore that? I certainly would. And I'd certainly want you to if you were sitting next to me!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Surely if you were in danger of soiling yourself you would ignore that? I certainly would. And I'd certainly want you to if you were sitting next to me!
At the point the FAs are belted down, I'd consider it. Your life is worth more than your pants.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Some people have their minds made up, and are looking for any reason, no matter how stupid/silly, to justify their foregone conclusion. That's all I think this thread is.
This thread and the dozens like it...
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Kacee
It seems to be deliberate on the airport's part . . . exiting and re-entering at E (or one of the other terminals) does not seem to be an officially sanctioned option.
You may be right about this being deliberate. The setup is similar at DFW D, where the first security checkpoint after clearing customs does not offer pre-Check, but the next checkpoint does.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by physioprof
Pilots also understand when you've gotta go, you've gotta go also...

We don't like having that seat belt sign on any more than you do.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Agree with complaints about pre-check @IAH Int->Dom (bad signage and often closed when I arrive early am or weekends) but that has nothing to do with my decision on who to fly. Personally flown thru DFW and ATL recently and neither was any better. Am informed JFK and MIA are pretty horrid for Int arrivals. So that covers the major hubs. Personally I like SFO for Int arrivals though was glad to have GE as customs was massively backed up this weekend. There are many factors that go into airline choice but there are easy ways to avoid lines if you qualify for GE and Precheck.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the pre complaint refers to transit security at IAH (where there is no pre). That's an airport/TSA issue, not a UA issue.
I suppose OP could make the case that if he weren't on UA, the transfer wouldn't have been at IAH -- DFW instead, or maybe MIA?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:28 am

Million Miler says goodbye, United

I had an extremely disappointing experience with United this summer that has caused me to take my business elsewhere. I am a Million Miler and typically fly 60-90K miles/year. I was flying from CDG to EWR on a business-class ticket. However, what I experienced should not have occurred at all, neither to me nor to anyone who was flying on the cheapest ticket on the plane and with United for the first time.

I was selected for "special security screening" at CDG - no problems. This meant that I boarded through the economy door rather than the business/first door. As such, I was not sure whether my seat was to the rear or to the front of the door when I entered the plane, and I asked the greeter where my seat was. The individual responded sarcastically and quite rudely.

(This was in sharp contrast with my first flight of the day on Air France, where the flight attendant made me a cup of tea while I waited at the back of the plane to return to my seat during boarding (I had gone back to use the restroom). Never in my life has a flight attendant offered me a beverage during boarding in this situation - a very thoughtful gesture given the 6am time.)

Back to my United flight...I do not expect snarky behavior from a flight attendant when I ask for help in finding my seat upon boarding. I find this to be exceptionally poor customer service. I spoke with the purser, who then apparently sent the greeter to apologize. What followed from him was an outburst from him worthy of a 4-year old child.

I was so unimpressed that I called United's customer service line to express my displeasure. The call resulted in a 5000-mile credit to my account, about which I could care less. I completed the post-flight survey that appeared in my email inbox, and explained the situation; I also submitted a comment/complaint on the web site. Remarkably, I did not receive a single acknowledgement or response to my written communications.

(As a bonus, my return flight to Paris was on a 767 that was dingy and my lay-flat seat was broken and did not actually lay flat.)

I am now actively avoiding flying United. I will travel to Singapore and Taiwan next week and have purchased a business class ticket with Cathay Pacific, and am looking forward to trying their product. I am disappointed and disgusted with United, and I look forward to spending my travel dollars elsewhere.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:13 pm

cannot find

a 1 million miler that can not find their seat???? Most MM
as myself have each aircraft on UA can do on memory

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.