Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:15 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat

Well today< I began my switch over to AA. I had been with UAL for so long---but just worn out the last two years. Last year, I did 139 segments, did over 100K but basically wasn't getting upgraded anymore.

Today--albeit one flight---I was upgraded 100 hours in advance, was served a meal on an RJ (E175), enjoyed the Admirals CLub and actually enjoyed my experience. Hoping for 2015 to continue well!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jpsj
Well today< I began my switch over to AA. I had been with UAL for so long---but just worn out the last two years. Last year, I did 139 segments, did over 100K but basically wasn't getting upgraded anymore.

Today--albeit one flight---I was upgraded 100 hours in advance, was served a meal on an RJ (E175), enjoyed the Admirals CLub and actually enjoyed my experience. Hoping for 2015 to continue well!
Good for you.

Please report back your AA experiences......

Did you get 8 AA SWU?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by jpsj

Whoa...If I was an employee of UA attempting to use social media to determine how many frequent flyers are exiting their airline, this entry would give me pause. Original member of FT, so probably a frequent traveler approaching two decades (and certainly last year), long time customer of the airline situated near a fortress hub, and suddenly he exits.

Unfortunately for UA, the competition starts on a high note.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
subscribing
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:24 am

Responding to the Westin question on the 2014 thread.

Yes I asked and they said it's further out (miles wise yes but driving time wise it's the same 15 minutes). When I asked to be booked into the Westin as well, the agent simply said they can give us a voucher, but cannot guarantee room availability.

I wrote into UA and they gave the standard "We're sorry" response and gave me a paltry 5000 miles as "a token of appreciation".
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Whoa...If I was an employee of UA attempting to use social media to determine how many frequent flyers are exiting their airline, this entry would give me pause.
They don't care. Long-term 100K flyers are a renewable resource. Some even say they're cheaper to acquire than existing customers
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/Million Mile
Staying Star Alliance, but switching carriers over oceans

I don't know that I'm leaving exactly. But being million miler, I have permanent gold status. Even though I'm 1K (140k this year), I'll not fly United on overseas routes - and here is the reason:

With 1K at 11x the airfare, I'm probably looking at 12.1K total redeemable miles for a flight to HKG or PVG on a crusty 747-4, no IFE, no power, pay for alcohol, and a jurassic flight crew.

If I book Asiana, ANA, EVA, or other Star Alliance partner - I get better seat pitch, free alcohol, better meal, IFE, power, and better service, plus. I will pull 12.3k for PVG and 13.8k for HKG both in redeemable miles and advance toward 2 million mile status. Why would I fly UA? To get 1K status - why?

My company will never book me on anything but the lowest fare, hence lowest fare basis code. So, I'll never get any upgrades even if 1K, the fare basis won't put me high enough on the list for upgrade. So what value is 1K?

Essentially - United has given up the back of the bus on over-Pacific flights. For over Atlantic, see above, but substitute Lufthansa, SAS, Swiss or other, better, Star Alliance airline.

I'll stay on UA for the domestic routes, but not International.

Smisek is now in charge of A4A - I imagine now the whining will be louder about "it's not fair" (regarding Asian carriers) - United simply has the worst over-pacific service available. In retrospect - United sounds like the US auto industry in 1985 blaming "unfair" competition while simultaneously offering a vastly inferior product.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kd_LAX
I don't know that I'm leaving exactly. But being million miler, I have permanent gold status. Even though I'm 1K (140k this year), I'll not fly United on overseas routes - and here is the reason:

With 1K at 11x the airfare, I'm probably looking at 12.1K total redeemable miles for a flight to HKG or PVG on a crusty 747-4, no IFE, no power, pay for alcohol, and a jurassic flight crew.

If I book Asiana, ANA, EVA, or other Star Alliance partner - I get better seat pitch, free alcohol, better meal, IFE, power, and better service, plus. I will pull 12.3k for PVG and 13.8k for HKG both in redeemable miles and advance toward 2 million mile status. Why would I fly UA? To get 1K status - why?

My company will never book me on anything but the lowest fare, hence lowest fare basis code. So, I'll never get any upgrades even if 1K, the fare basis won't put me high enough on the list for upgrade. So what value is 1K?

Essentially - United has given up the back of the bus on over-Pacific flights. For over Atlantic, see above, but substitute Lufthansa, SAS, Swiss or other, better, Star Alliance airline.

I'll stay on UA for the domestic routes, but not International.

Smisek is now in charge of A4A - I imagine now the whining will be louder about "it's not fair" (regarding Asian carriers) - United simply has the worst over-pacific service available. In retrospect - United sounds like the US auto industry in 1985 blaming "unfair" competition while simultaneously offering a vastly inferior product.
Only miles on UA/UX/COPA metal count towards the million mile levels. Flying ANA, EVA or any other *A airline will not advance you towards 2 million.

Last edited by Baze; Jan 2, 2015 at 11:46 am
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....747-4, no IFE, no power, .....
While the choice is yours to make .... the most recent data shows all 744's have streaming wifi and over half have economy AC power {& the rest will soon}

.... I will pull 12.3k for PVG and 13.8k for HKG both in redeemable miles and advance toward 2 million mile status. .....
We don't know yet, but I would give high odds the RDM earning will change for partners by March 2015. And as mentioned partners do not count for lifetime credit.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While the chocie is yours to make .... the most recent data shows all 744's have streaming wifi and over half have economy AC power {& the rest will soon}
somehow this doesn't help with their OT% which is a huge factor that was overlooked by the OP @:-)
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 2MM
kd_LAX - I completely understand your thinking. Be careful though. In addition to the point Baze makes, mileage earning on Star Alliance partners may change after 3/1/15 if ticket is not booked as a "016" ticket.

Originally Posted by Baze
Only miles on UA/UX/COPA metal count towards the million mile levels. Flying ANA will not advance you towards 2 million.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1k
I've basically switched to kayaking. I'll try to burn my 7 remaining GPU's but not sure if that'll happen.

I have 3 trips booked this year, flying B6, DL, QR (Paid Biz), UA (award), TG (Award)

The reality is, I haven't had any awful experiences with them since summer of 2012. The gutting of the redeemable miles, moving to brooklyn and the poor departure times for a number of flights out of EWR (hard to make a <630pm flight on a weeknight, from the city) are all going to drop my mileage markedly.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:28 pm

They've started serving prosecco domestically (who knew it came in screw tops?). I think I'll stick around for a little while longer.

Seriously - my first flight of the year was fine. GPU I needed to use before it expires came through (on 1/1, it better!), flight left EWR on time, arrived SFO on time. Crew was very attentive.

Old 757, not that comfortable F seats though I still slept 3 hours, and the old overhead screens for everyone's entertainment. Food was mediocre this time (overcooked steak, broccolini, mashed potatoes, salad, unheated roll). Sundae was good.

It is what it is. It's what I expect, it's what I get.

If you can find another airline that flies from your home airport, to where you need to go, and treats you better, then by all means give them a try.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I'm on target to hit 2MM in 2015, which will then give me Lifetime Platinum, which will then allow me more freedom to "choose" in 2016

But even with that flexibility, I will likely continue to book Star Alliance for my overwater flights and not book UA only like I do today.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
We don't know yet, but I would give high odds the RDM earning will change for partners by March 2015.
And for the worse. Especially on deep discount fare classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.