Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium
I live 30 min from EWR so the coneinvence of direct flights and a UA hub is the main reason why I fly UA. I know people are leaving UA for FF reasons but how are the products at the airlines? The plane, food, employees, etc?

I'm debating if its worth wild to switch and always have to take connecting flights for my routes.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA's 789 has 48 BF seats. It's one of the best J/Y ratios in the fleet.

But your comments about price and operational difficulties make perfect sense.
My mistake and thank you for the correction Kacee!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by JC1976
I live 30 min from EWR so the coneinvence of direct flights and a UA hub is the main reason why I fly UA. I know people are leaving UA for FF reasons but how are the products at the airlines? The plane, food, employees, etc?

I'm debating if its worth wild to switch and always have to take connecting flights for my routes.
Are you much farther to JFK or LGA? Many other options there.

A lot of folks defected from UA to AA and many of them choose connections and found it worthwhile because of better experience and better upgrades.

Personally, I would be hard pressed to choose OAL over UA if UA is direct and OAL is a connection. In my world, direct almost always trumps any other consideration.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I recently flew AA LAX-MIA-LAX and I can't say AA is better than UA. For one thing, the AA restrooms at LAX are disgusting and the boarding process is a mess. I am intrigued by AA's upgrade policy, it seems to be far superior to UAs.
I am doing a 3 month challenge and will earn Platinum on AA giving me more options next year. If upgrades, even paid 500 miles, are much easier to come by, I may switch for good.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:31 pm

I'm glad all these folks left UA. My upgrade percentage has been really high this year. This week, I had my best week all year with six upgrades in six flights.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
I'm glad all these folks left UA. My upgrade percentage has been really high this year. This week, I had my best week all year with six upgrades in six flights.
SShhhh. They will all be back on Feb 19, 2016
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
If all those flights were also on time, run do not walk, go buy a lottery ticket now!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
Originally Posted by FlyWorld

A lot of folks defected from UA to AA and many of them choose connections and found it worthwhile because of better experience and better upgrades.

Personally, I would be hard pressed to choose OAL over UA if UA is direct and OAL is a connection. In my world, direct almost always trumps any other consideration.
I fully agree. For those who defected to DL or AA, to each his/her own. I will only fly out of JFK on a foreign carrier with a direct route and better service. EWR and UA are never a problem for me. I just don't like connecting flights nor do I have the mental stamina to trek out to LGA for domestic flights.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Me , today 2003 -2015 (2016 ?) GS, 3,63 MM .........just bored now with the 3 years of down grading of GS from mediocre service on Irrops and incompetent people picking up the phone.
Final straw , 10 mins holding on the phone from Tokyo because the website could not calculate a simple fare, to be answered by a lady who having took my MP number asked if I had silver status or above
Its the small stuff that counts Oscar ,I might have given you a chance had you not sat on the sidelines watching this debacle for so long....
It is not possible for the grass not to be greener

Last edited by rduer; Oct 9, 2015 at 10:46 am
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:17 am

Is this "normal"?

17 years with United, mix of 1k and GS. 1k now. Somewhere between 2m and 3m lifetime miles.
I used to go out of my way to fly United (e.g., fly NRT-SFO-SEA on UA instead of NRT-SEA on ANA), but no more.
Most of my tickets are RW, in business class. GPUs cannot be used on those anymore, hence useless to me.

My question - maybe some speculative answers...
Booked SEA-ORD-SEA flight, 3 months ago. About $500, T-class. Departure is next Friday. Immediately applied RPUs, and waitlisted since. In July, all 1st class seats seemed available (using seatmap as an imperfect proxy), and every week a few disappeared.
No choice re. flights, since I have connections. Early am flight out of SEA.
Is it "normal"/expected to have that many 1st class seats gone so soon? I suspect they must be $-upgrades at booking?

I just checked again. There is one 1st class seat left. $587. Economy is $488. If that delta has been in place since I booked, I just answered my own question.
Oh - I can also upgrade for $1,211 right now (just the outbound, return can be upgraded for $485). I guess that is why I am "leaving United".

Note - I am not familiar with all the details of checking upgradable space, calling in for manual upgrades etc., so maybe I could have done something differently.

(return flight on 10-26 has open FC space, but shows same effect - goes down every week)
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by FlyWorld

I live in NJ so getting over to JFK is a drag and thats without traffic and also on the return getting back over to NJ. I also prefer direct flights so catching a flight to get to another hub of AA or DL to travel abroad just adds on too much time. I can only hope UA gets better with their FF.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by JC1976
I can only hope UA gets better with their FF.
Gets better in what sense? Many here that are high revenue flyers would argue that the current version of Mileage Plus, with up to 75,000 miles per ticket, meets their needs fine. What do you want them to do differently?

This morning there's a UA flyer on the AA forum who brought in 80,000 miles on an itinerary, which I guess would have been booked as two one-ways. He's wondering if AA will match UA's program because of the frequent flyer miles he receives at UA compared to AA.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by KCRYSTAL
My question - maybe some speculative answers...
Booked SEA-ORD-SEA flight, 3 months ago. About $500, T-class. Departure is next Friday. Immediately applied RPUs, and waitlisted since. In July, all 1st class seats seemed available (using seatmap as an imperfect proxy), and every week a few disappeared.
No choice re. flights, since I have connections. Early am flight out of SEA.
Is it "normal"/expected to have that many 1st class seats gone so soon? I suspect they must be $-upgrades at booking?

I just checked again. There is one 1st class seat left. $587. Economy is $488. If that delta has been in place since I booked, I just answered my own question.
Oh - I can also upgrade for $1,211 right now (just the outbound, return can be upgraded for $485). I guess that is why I am "leaving United".
I've seen the same on other airlines with regards to the price changes.

But your point about United being happy to keep your 1K bottom in coach then honoring your RPU and "losing" $87 is quite valid and doesn't make me happy.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is it "normal"/expected to have that many 1st class seats gone so soon?
It's not uncommon.

Note - I am not familiar with all the details of checking upgradable space, calling in for manual upgrades etc., so maybe I could have done something differently.
Probably not (other than buying discounted F initially).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Gets better in what sense? Many here that are high revenue flyers would argue that the current version of Mileage Plus, with up to 75,000 miles per ticket, meets their needs fine. What do you want them to do differently?

This morning there's a UA flyer on the AA forum who brought in 80,000 miles on an itinerary, which I guess would have been booked as two one-ways. He's wondering if AA will match UA's program because of the frequent flyer miles he receives at UA compared to AA.
What are the improvements in benefits over the past 3 years? Yes you can get alot of more miles now than before but that depends on how you much you spend for the ticket. So UA rather reward flyers that spend alot than flyers that fly alot. At this point I am with UA to use the benefits and proudcts with Star Alliance airlines not because of the benefits with UA itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.