FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Flying MBJ to SNA via IHA today and am reminded of why I chose to move on and use AA for most of my North America travel. .
I'd have been mad too if I was flying from Jamaica to California via Niihama Japan

Actually no I wouldn't have been mad, I'd have been looking at all of the great PQMs!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Flying MBJ to SNA via IHA today and am reminded of why I chose to move on and use AA for most of my North America travel. No TSA precheck on transfers in Houston is pretty sad and an obvious cost cutting measure. Currently I am flying from Houston to Santa Ana and the fasten seatbelt sign has been on the majority of the flight, even though there is a complete lack of turbulence. Cost cutting measures pushed me away and I am sorely reminded that nothing has changed. I do need to give a shout out to the FA's working Business/First Class as they have been awesome on both flights.
Arguably you might be able to make the same argument with any of the Big 3, however I have not seen it on AA over the last year. While service from some veteran FA's on AA has opportunity, outside of that I will continue to choose AA when it is feasible.
75 segments UAL and 25 AA imo there is no difference, both mediocre
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:30 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Flying MBJ to SNA via IHA today and am reminded of why I chose to move on and use AA for most of my North America travel. No TSA precheck on transfers in Houston is pretty sad and an obvious cost cutting measure.
next time take the inter terminal train to concourse a b or c where there is pre check. concourse e is always slow.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, there is no Pre-Check in IHA because it is in Japan. If OP meant IAH (Houston), there is Pre-Check, he just took a wrong turn and missed it. But, even if there were no Pre-Check or if Pre-Check is closed, that is a TSA issue, not a UA issue and, OP won't find it any different at stations served by DL or AA.

Second, the seat belt red herring is just that. US carriers may be a bit more conservative on the issue, but UA is no more conservative than DL or AA, it may just seem so on any given flight. It is just a risk management issue so that when a passenger heads to the lav, is warned by crew and is still injured by sudden turbulence (which may be predicted), UA stands a bit better off on the liability or damages front.

This just sounds like someone looking for a reason to fly another carrier. But, you don't need a reason. If you prefer another carrier, you just fly that other carrier. It's that simple.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2016 at 11:26 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by cur
next time take the inter terminal train to concourse a b or c where there is pre check. concourse e is always slow.
C is the safest bet to have Pre open, that's my normal routine too. At least at IAH you have this option. Dulles on the other hand....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2016 at 11:27 am Reason: remove comment on thread title after thread re-titled
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
If OP meant IAH (Houston), there is Pre-Check, he just took a wrong turn and missed it.
Actually, if you follow the directions when transiting IAH I => D, you will wind up in transit security where there is no Pre-check. So OP did not take "a wrong turn" at least not according to the airport markings.

Of course readers of this forum know not to follow the signs at IAH but to exit international arrivals and re-enter through regular security.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome crew but didn't find Precheck and an easily-resolveable (and common on many airlines) triviality with the seat belt sign = a reminder why someone left UA???
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:11 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, if you follow the directions when transiting IAH I => D, you will wind up in transit security where there is no Pre-check. So OP did not take "a wrong turn" at least not according to the airport markings.

Of course readers of this forum know not to follow the signs at IAH but to exit international arrivals and re-enter through regular security.
My husband transited Houston yesterday, international to domestic. When he got to security, it was obvious it would take at least a half hour to get thru. He asked an agent about precheck. The first agent said there was none. He eventually found one that was more knowledgeable. He followed the directions given above and ended up first in line at the precheck line. Based on this thread and his experience, it seems there needs to be better signage.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My husband transited Houston yesterday, international to domestic. When he got to security, it was obvious it would take at least a half hour to get thru. He asked an agent about precheck. The first agent said there was none. He eventually found one that was more knowledgeable. He followed the directions given above and ended up first in line at the precheck line. Based on this thread and his experience, it seems there needs to be better signage.
And better staff training!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Based on this thread and his experience, it seems there needs to be better signage.
It seems to be deliberate on the airport's part . . . exiting and re-entering at E (or one of the other terminals) does not seem to be an officially sanctioned option.

The advice to exit international arrivals and avoid transit security is regularly offered in the Consolidated Connection Time/Logistics Domestict/International at IAH thread.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bear96

Awesome crew but didn't find Precheck and an easily-resolveable (and common on many airlines) triviality with the seat belt sign = a reminder why someone left UA???

Some people have their minds made up, and are looking for any reason, no matter how stupid/silly, to justify their foregone conclusion. That's all I think this thread is.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kacee
It seems to be deliberate on the airport's part . . . exiting and re-entering at E (or one of the other terminals) does not seem to be an officially sanctioned option.

The advice to exit international arrivals and avoid transit security is regularly offered in the Consolidated Connection Time/Logistics Domestict/International at IAH thread.
It is deliberate - so few (relatively speaking) international connecting passengers would have US pre-check that to add this option to permanent signage just doesn't make sense.... Those that know the shortcuts make it through quicker - just like at most US airports....
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
so few (relatively speaking) international connecting passengers would have US pre-check that to add this option to permanent signage just doesn't make sense....
This statement doesn't make sense to me. Americans don't travel internationally?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This statement doesn't make sense to me. Americans don't travel internationally?
Lol - think percentages not US based frequent travelers that post here....
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Lol - think percentages not frequent travelers...
I would guess that a higher percentage of Americans on international flights would have pre-check than those on domestic flights. For example, I typically see much longer lines at SFO international pre-check than at SFO domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.