Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, DL Sky Miles, Marriott Rewards, HiltonHHonors
United's Loss of Loyalty is a Two Way Street

I flew almost exclusively with United for the past 7 years and just this year began flying with American again. It has been a very positive change, but I would not have left United if not for the policy changes that recently took place for family members traveling with premier members. In the past five months as a family we flew to South America and Hawaii and despite spending thousands of $ with UA over the years and having what they consider a paltry Gold Status level only two of us could sit in Econo Plus together without paying exorbitant upgrade charges in order for all of us to sit together in EPlus... we declined.

By the end of Feb 2015 I had booked over 4K with United and wound out last year over 15K in total UA flight expenditures. At this point this year I have spent less than 1K and more than likely won't spend more than 5K with United this year. Loyalty is a two way street, and the lack of it is a costly mistake for UA that if multiplied throughout the MP program will speak to the fact of UA's recent disloyal policy changes toward MP premier family members traveling with them.

Goodbye UA.

Last edited by UpNThAir; Feb 19, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:02 pm

On a recent family booking I too was shocked Gold gets only 1 free E+ companion. IIRC it used to be 8. And the type of person who can justify a paid upgrade to E+ could have justified a paid business class ticket at the outset.

Sorry to tell you FlyerTalk is not a very family friendly site (with the stereotypical user a single young professional IT or management consultant) and people here generally favor policies that restrict the benefits of family members.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by davie355
On a recent family booking I too was shocked Gold gets only 1 free E+ companion. IIRC it used to be 8. ...
Never has been, even pre-merger -- Plats/1Ks/Gs get up to 8.
... And the type of person who can justify a paid upgrade to E+ could have justified a paid business class ticket at the outset..
There is an order of magnitude or more difference in costs. Far from the same.

... Sorry to tell you FlyerTalk is not a very family friendly site (with the stereotypical user a single young professional IT or management consultant) and people here generally favor policies that restrict the benefits of family members.
Be careful with stereotypes, many here are very different and do not fit your stereotype.

Plus the Rules guide us to discuss the issues, not the posters.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:26 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

Sorry to tell you FlyerTalk is not a very family friendly site (with the stereotypical user a single young professional IT or management consultant) and people here generally favor policies that restrict the benefits of family members.

Speak for yourself. I couldn't disagree with this more.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a recent family booking I too was shocked Gold gets only 1 free E+ companion. IIRC it used to be 8. And the type of person who can justify a paid upgrade to E+ could have justified a paid business class ticket at the outset.

Have you ever been to a FT function? Do you know a majority of the FT users? What you call stereotypical FlyerTalker is about 180 degrees from almost all the FlyerTalkers I know. I see all walks of life in the FT ranks.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by bitburger
I'm a MM+ on United based in SEA and they treated me fine until 2013 and 2014. While I was consistently 1K, I wasn't never getting my upgrades approved on International flights and at the end of the year, I'd be left with most still intact. Then United reduced the number of SEA flights which made many of my trips 2 segment trips which isn't great.

I moved all my business to Delta in 2015 and qualified for Diamond in Q3.

While flying isn't dramatically different in any of the US based carriers, there are some slight differences. YMMV.

It's marginally more difficult to achieve Diamond which help in my case since I fly a lot. I think it will help me as I'll have fewer peer competitors for upgrades although going in and out of ATL has never given me an upgrade.

In general, my impression is that Delta has happier employees. Some have been an example to us all of enthusiasm and great customer attitude.

Upgrades seem to clear at a slightly higher rate domestically although I don't have enough data point internationally.

Gate boarding is chaos under Delta. United was quite structured and I miss it. Perhaps they need a few cranky gate agents to get the crowd under control.

On-board movies are changed less frequently but there is a greater selection on Delta.

United did a nice job with international travel through the star alliance but Delta doesn't have the same lounge presence/support internationally. I've been stuck at a number of airports without a lounge including HND, UIO, FCO. The LHR situation is confused across two terminals and the arrivals lounges are hard to find. They used to offer the Virgin departure lounge in LHR which was fantastic.

These lounge issues really only impact you as a traveler when you are a level below Diamond because when you reach that level, you are granted membership to their Sky Club which has alliances with partner lounges.

Note the Sky Club lounge is tighter on bringing friends and family so it isn't quite as helpful when you are traveling in a group. One of the optional Diamond selections is upgrading the Sky Club membership to group but then it only allows 2 others to join me in a visit.
The food and drink options are somewhat better. They have a wicked spicy Thai soup that's fantastic.

Free drinks in the Delta version of economy plus. I was given a small number of free drink coupons at the beginning of the year but still haven't had a chance to use them.

For me it was a good move.

Safe travels.
I'm a bit confused by the bold part. SkyTeam for sure has lounge access in HND, FCO and UIO, and as a Diamond you'd have access. Heck FCO is a hub for SkyTeam member Alitalia. As to Heathrow, there's the brand new and swanky SkyTeam lounge in T-4, and Delta flyers with Diamond status or booked on Delta in J cabin can still access the even swankier Virgin Club House.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:08 pm

A reminder why I moved on from UA

Flying MBJ to SNA via IHA today and am reminded of why I chose to move on and use AA for most of my North America travel. No TSA precheck on transfers in Houston is pretty sad and an obvious cost cutting measure. Currently I am flying from Houston to Santa Ana and the fasten seatbelt sign has been on the majority of the flight, even though there is a complete lack of turbulence. Cost cutting measures pushed me away and I am sorely reminded that nothing has changed. I do need to give a shout out to the FA's working Business/First Class as they have been awesome on both flights.
Arguably you might be able to make the same argument with any of the Big 3, however I have not seen it on AA over the last year. While service from some veteran FA's on AA has opportunity, outside of that I will continue to choose AA when it is feasible.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:12 pm

I'm a little confused, but what does Precheck have to do with UA cost cutting?

Same with seatbelt sign.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Same with seatbelt sign.
+1, the whole pre-check with United was a give away from TSA (to drive people to precheck) and has nothing to do with United taking anything away???
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Same with seatbelt sign.
I don't think the comment about cost cutting is related to the comment about the seatbelt sign. More of a stream-of-consciousness.

I have to agree that United does tend to keep the seatbelt sign on longer than pretty much any other airline I've flown, and it's become as meaningless as the boy who cried wolf.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:47 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
TSA pre is available when coming from int'l at IAH, depending on time of day one must just go out and upstairs at terminal E. It requires about 100 feet more of walking...
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think the pre complaint refers to transit security at IAH (where there is no pre). That's an airport/TSA issue, not a UA issue.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Presumably OP went to the wrong security checkpoint at term E, and Pre wasn't available.

Exit customs and go up one floor for Pre.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Yes cost cutting is the key for UA to become more profitable. Could you clarify more on what you're referring to on cost cutting besides IAH & the seat belt sign?

UA aside, you're complaining about IAH when the security situation is 100x worse at LAX. Especially when the terminals have been going under renovation currently.
Speaking of transit, when you're clearing customs at LAX it can be an big nightmare and transferring between partnered airlines requires time.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Currently I am flying from Houston to Santa Ana and the fasten seatbelt sign has been on the majority of the flight, even though there is a complete lack of turbulence. Cost cutting measures pushed me away and I am sorely reminded that nothing has changed. I do need to give a shout out to the FA's working Business/First Class as they have been awesome on both flights.
If the seatbelt sign has been on a while, there is no turbulence and you need to go, why not get up and go??? That's what most people do. The FA may point out the seatbelt sign is on which is his/her duty. And then two minutes later you will feel relieved!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2016 at 1:25 am Reason: repaired quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.