Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
If they do, their 4 destinations will be: LGA, IAD or DCA, LAX, and SFO.

You could survive with that route network?
VX is not competing on route network. Their strategy is to cherry pick the best routes. They don't fly to many places out of SFO, but they picked the right places, and those are the cities I tend to fly to most often.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Sadly, I think it's time for me. Just got an unsolicited offer of AA plat, with a really easy challenge to keep it into 2017, plus a bunch of upgrade coupons to get me started.

And having my last trip just post into the devalued MP, plus the service issues, I think I can't justify staying.

Only question for me is if I should reach for plat for 2016 before leaving. I have gold locked in, and the PQMs for 1K, but probably would need the credit card waiver for PQDs. But the AA credit card is offering a 75k sign up bonus...

I'm quite sad, I'm a loyal sort of person and it's been a long time. And I love the *A partners.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
devalued MP, plus the service issues, I think I can't justify staying..... But the AA credit card is offering a 75k sign up bonus...
Get the AA card, but just beware of jumping ship so soon. Right now there's an unconfirmed award chart posted on various AA non-US websites showing significant devaluation of BA/IB earnings that may act as a preview of what AA earning might become :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2015-a-4.html

That award is even worse than what UA provides. At least UA is willing to significant up the premium cabin RDM earning to compensate for the lowered discount Y ones. This new (unconfirmed) chart is nearly bad news on all fronts.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Sadly, I think it's time for me. Just got an unsolicited offer of AA plat, with a really easy challenge to keep it into 2017, plus a bunch of upgrade coupons to get me started.
Curious. Was this a corporate thing from your employer or something from AA directly? Wondering how to come across something like this...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
I am gone, after 20 yrs!

Had it with feeling like a 2nd class 1K citizen to GS members. Had it with cs agents who dont speak recognizable english. Had it with being shoe-horned into overbooked coast to coast flights. Had it with rude flight staff, over-charging for services and zero chance of using GSUs. Had it with the $12,000 mqd.
Platinum with dl. Maybe run for diamond. The friendliness of their cs staff outweighs a geographically undesirable hub, when ewr is home airport.
Buh-bye UA. This ex-Con[tinental] flyer got tired of waiting for changes, courtesy and respect.
Fly 221000 a yr. run a global children's charity and consult on digital best practices. Million miler. 1.4million. Get and can give gold without flying. Canadian husband leaves with me.

Last edited by privacylawyer; Sep 25, 2015 at 1:08 pm Reason: Adding something
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Curious. Was this a corporate thing from your employer or something from AA directly? Wondering how to come across something like this...
No, it was AA directly. I almost didn't open it.

I actually wondered if they'd found a MP mailing list somehow and were poaching.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
No, it was AA directly. I almost didn't open it.

I actually wondered if they'd found a MP mailing list somehow and were poaching.
Interesting. Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Vacated, and found AS really appreciate my business. F9, an airline I was curious about, turned out to be a huge disappointment. No thanks F9. Still fly WN but only on a short hops. Jetblue was good. DL is okay, terrible on award space, but good on timeliness.

Overall, I was able to find a suitable replacement for UA.

Jiburi
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by FlyWorld
VX is not competing on route network. Their strategy is to cherry pick the best routes. They don't fly to many places out of SFO, but they picked the right places, and those are the cities I tend to fly to most often.
I would agree - out of SFO, you can almost make VX work.

I am Gold on VX (my only other airline status besides 1K), and I like T2, their service, and the elite treatment / benefits.

But, ex-IAH/HOU?

I would imagine that the route network would be more or less the same as DFW. (4 destinations)

I would find that impossible to make that work as a frequent flyer.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
But, ex-IAH/HOU?

I would imagine that the route network would be more or less the same as DFW. (4 destinations)

Impossible being the KEY word @:-)

The only other route to/from Texas is AUS, IAH/HOU has no VX serivce

Must be that UA hub .....
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
I would agree - out of SFO, you can almost make VX work.

I am Gold on VX (my only other airline status besides 1K), and I like T2, their service, and the elite treatment / benefits.

But, ex-IAH/HOU?

Even if they only offered flights from IAH to DFW, ORD, and SFO, I could make that work.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
Even if they only offered flights from IAH to DFW, ORD, and SFO, I could make that work.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Impossible being the KEY word @:-)

The only other route to/from Texas is AUS, IAH/HOU has no VX serivce
Maybe in the future.

VX picked DAL because no one serves it (OK, DL 5X to ATL) besides WN, and most business travelers like DAL better due to its proximity to downtown. Fort Worth, not so much, Plano also probably better ex DFW. But EVERYONE flies there @:-)
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jiburi
Vacated, and found AS really appreciate my business. F9, an airline I was curious about, turned out to be a huge disappointment. No thanks F9. Still fly WN but only on a short hops. Jetblue was good. DL is okay, terrible on award space, but good on timeliness.

Overall, I was able to find a suitable replacement for UA.

Jiburi
F9 is only good if you find those $39 steals on o.w. tickets and are only traveling for a weekend (i.e. tiny carry on only).... DEN-LAS is a great example. Otherwise, F9 is a disgrace as they nickel and dime for every little thing... even a cup of sparkling water. Shame.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM

And having my last trip just post into the devalued MP, plus the service issues, I think I can't justify staying.
Similarly, I'm sad to be heading out too (status matched to AS, but I'd certainly go for the AA offer if that was available). I've been 1K for the past 13 years, but the virtual disappearance of the ability to use upgrade instruments (not helped by the advent of the new non-transparent HVF upgrades -- or should that be FAF 'Friends and Family' upgrades) combined with the MP devaluation means that it is time to go...
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by Sydneyair
Get the AA card, but just beware of jumping ship so soon. Right now there's an unconfirmed award chart posted on various AA non-US websites showing significant devaluation of BA/IB earnings that may act as a preview of what AA earning might become :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2015-a-4.html

That award is even worse than what UA provides. At least UA is willing to significant up the premium cabin RDM earning to compensate for the lowered discount Y ones. This new (unconfirmed) chart is nearly bad news on all fronts.
It was a mistake, I received a call from AA corporate after sending an email asking about it. They told me it was something they considered back earlier this year when BA made the changes, decided against it because of the JV and someone pushed them through in certain languages.

Said no changes are being made.

Now will it happen next year, who knows, but for now I'm not worried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.