Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2014]
Thread on qualiflying for 2015, Global Services 2015 Notifications (ONLY)
and a thread on FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: GS 2015 -- No Word Yet / Still waiting / Why?

Known facts from United:
  • Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
  • We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
  • Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24280055-post276.html

We appreciate your commitment to United® in 2014, and thank you for making us your choice of airline so often throughout the year. We've carefully reviewed your request to be reconsidered for Global ServicesSM status. Unfortunately, based upon your flight activity, we are unable to extend a Global Services invitation for 2015.

As you plan your travel for 2015, here are a few things to keep in mind:

■ Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier®-qualifying criteria.

■ We evaluate your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

■ Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabin or fully refundable tickets.

On behalf of everyone at United, thank you for your commitment and valued business. We appreciate that you make us your choice in the skies, and will look forward to seeing you on many future flights.

Best regards,
Your Global Services team
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by keitherson
They'll say no, but no harm in trying
I tried. They said no. But surely it's not a CA decision? China Air has no reason to care whether you're actually in F or C on UA, I'd assume they just care about UA paying them appropriately for lounge use. It must be UA that has now decided not to compensate CA for a GS pax to enter the F side, no?

And while I'm on the subject, what's this about UA now allowing LH HON C pax into the GFL, when LH won't let GS C pax near their FCLs?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Unless they plan to eliminate GF (which seems like the right thing to do).
Not interested in getting into the GF argument yet again (most GS want it I presume), but regardless of its fate I suspect the GF lounges will be around as GS lounges for longer than the next couple of years. Why would they have just built a brand new GF lounge at LHR?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
GS agent can't work problem off phone?

Yesterday I called GS shortly before the doors closed on my HNL-SFO flight, because my connection was cancelled. I quickly gave her my own and 4 family member PNRs to rebook and told her I had to go because the doors were closing.

She says: "Sorry. As soon as you hang up, I have to take the next call and stop working on your situation." Seriously!!??

I'm amazed that this would be the case even for a non-status customer. But for GS? I am a starting to wonder why folks here are so worked up about whether or not they got GS status.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Yesterday I called GS shortly before the doors closed on my HNL-SFO flight, because my connection was cancelled. I quickly gave her my own and 4 family member PNRs to rebook and told her I had to go because the doors were closing.

She says: "Sorry. As soon as you hang up, I have to take the next call and stop working on your situation." Seriously!!??

I'm amazed that this would be the case even for a non-status customer. But for GS? I am a starting to wonder why folks here are so worked up about whether or not they got GS status.
That's odd. I have had a similar situation a number of times before and they have always worked on my problem even though I had to hang up.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by RealFan
That's odd. I have had a similar situation a number of times before and they have always worked on my problem even though I had to hang up.
I've had a few situations early in the year where they called me back. I also had a few situations in October where they refused to work on it unless if I was on the phone (although I had a feeling that they were 1K agents).
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: united, hilton, marriott, hertz
Originally Posted by refson
My last two electronic boarding passes had the notation 1K *G.
Does this have any renewal significance?
My PQM is 330,000 (almost all business class)"with 105 segments. While I live abroad and do not have a official PQD, my tickets cost well over $80,000
*G means Star Alliance Gold. You live abroad but do you fly mostly United? Your stats seem to add up for GS but if you're flying a lot on Star Alliance partners, you probably won't get it. You need to have a UA 016 ticket to qualify.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:55 am

Hi, are you sure on the 016 ticket stock qualifier? I thought the same thing but I was corrected in the forum last week that only UA Metal matters for GS qualification and that 016 is irrelevant. I hope you are correct as I was buying tickets on less convenient routes in Europe on 016 ticket stock under the impression that it would count towards GS.

Originally Posted by beatlescrazyman
*G means Star Alliance Gold. You live abroad but do you fly mostly United? Your stats seem to add up for GS but if you're flying a lot on Star Alliance partners, you probably won't get it. You need to have a UA 016 ticket to qualify.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
The true answer is we don't know for sure, but there are good indications that:

1. Only UA metal counts
2. 016 stock might count too, but this seems to be in the minority.

Phil
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:48 am

Thanks. Is there any compelling reason to buy a Star Alliance ticket thru UA instead of the Star Alliance carrier direct? More award miles or something like that?

I ask because seat availability is almost always greater when you go direct to the carrier - e.g., could only book business on a Swiss flight through ual.com but could book first on swiss.com.

Originally Posted by philfna
The true answer is we don't know for sure, but there are good indications that:

1. Only UA metal counts
2. 016 stock might count too, but this seems to be in the minority.

Phil
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:09 pm

Does anyone have any success stories of applying for GS?

How many miles had you clocked up and did you have to outright buy any J, C, F, A fares? (Business / First)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by skyhedgehog
Does anyone have any success stories of applying for GS?

How many miles had you clocked up and did you have to outright buy any J, C, F, A fares? (Business / First)
You don't 'apply', they choose. There has been much discussion in the qualification threads. I'd suggest reading through that 2014 one I linked to have an idea of what we 'think' we know.

Originally Posted by porciuscato

Very strange - I've never had that happen. Even 1k agents will 'fix' things when doors are closing and you have to hang up. I really hope I don't encounter that as Ill be quite unhappy.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 6, 2015 at 11:12 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by kb1992
Also, awards using GS miles should inherit GS status regardless who is traveling.
Did this benefit disappear for GS? As a 1K, the status is given to whoever is using my miles.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Did this benefit disappear for GS? As a 1K, the status is given to whoever is using my miles.
Will go away for all in April, still has worked in past month for a gift award itinerary.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Skacorica
You don't 'apply', they choose. There has been much discussion in the qualification threads. I'd suggest reading through that 2014 one I linked to have an idea of what we 'think' we know.
You are right, they do choose, however, if you know the right link, you can send them your information and 'apply' for their consideration.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by skyhedgehog
You are right, they do choose, however, if you know the right link, you can send them your information and 'apply' for their consideration.
'Appeal' is a more appropriate word here, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.