Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Garten
It's not "freaking me out", it just doesn't taste good and I don't know why UA doesn't try harder to serve meals that people like.
It's a matter of taste, I suppose. There's an absolutely phenomenal salad place in NYC -- my two favorite salads from there both have quinoa in them. In fact, that's where I was planning on picking up dinner tonight so it's fresh on my mind...

That being said, I've had the new UA side salad with quinoa and it's just okay. Not spectacular, but definitely more interesting than the old side salad, I think.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by jewels421
It's a matter of taste, I suppose. There's an absolutely phenomenal salad place in NYC -- my two favorite salads from there both have quinoa in them. In fact, that's where I was planning on picking up dinner tonight so it's fresh on my mind...
Of course it's a lot different to add something to a menu with several options than to have it as the one and only one choice.

None of the UA side salads have ever been particularly good, I will give you that, but dumping a scoop of grains into there just seems like an odd way to try to improve it. If you're going that route I'd rather have an interesting, flavorful "salad' with no greens at all. Rather than adding some flavorless quinoa to some wilted lettuce.

I keep thinking about finding some single servings of salad dressing and bringing my own onboard.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Vancouver - SFO, dinner flight (no pics)

Choice of tandoori chicken or soup & salad (cream of mushroom & cold chicken salad)

i opted for the tandoori, which was actually quite tasty. Perfectly heated and served with green peas (indian spiced, quite delicious) and white rice. Seatmate opted for the salad. He loved the soup, but the chicken on the salad looked artificial, if that makes any sense.

Warm chocolate cookie and a Baileys for dessert. For a 1hr 54m flight, I was quite impressed.

(edited to add - small green salad (balsamic dressing) and a mini-pretzel roll also served on same tray)

Last edited by NoLaGent; Apr 21, 2015 at 8:12 pm Reason: Updated sides
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Apr. 21, YVR-SFO lunch flight. Choice was cheeseburger on pretzel roll or chicken salad with mushroom soup.

When I heard several pax take the salad without the soup, I asked whether I could have the soup with my cheeseburger. No soup for me! Was told that the soup was only served with the salad, and not the sandwich main course.

New rule or made up rule?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:09 pm
Suspended

It sounds right but you could ask one of the other passengers to take both the soup and the salad and then give you their soup.

Not sure why the crew wouldn't just give it to you rather than throwing it out.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
Apr. 21, YVR-SFO lunch flight. Choice was cheeseburger on pretzel roll or chicken salad with mushroom soup.

When I heard several pax take the salad without the soup, I asked whether I could have the soup with my cheeseburger. No soup for me! Was told that the soup was only served with the salad, and not the sandwich main course.

Made up rule - the soup is suppose to be served with the meal regardless of entree, it's been that was for over a decade going back to PMCO.

FLL-IAH choice was salad with chicken or chicken teriyaki. I don't eat meat so that left me with the salad sans chicken which was a very sorry looking bowl of lettuce with a few carrot shreds, a couple tiny tomato pieces, a few other tiny vegetable pieces and a thimble of blue cheese. I thought the inflight meals were improved, but this wasn't one of them.

Mushroom soup was pretty good - but not like the old PMCO mushroom soup that had big pieces of mushroom.

Totally disinterested crew left salt and pepper shakers and butter off the trays and dessert was an undercooked cookie, most of which stuck to the paper napkin it was served on, but they sure fawned over the two FAMs sitting in 2B and 3B. I thought paying customers were suppose to get the attention
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Was told that the soup was only served with the salad, and not the sandwich main course.

That's the new system. From UA Insider's http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24207486-post1.htmlpost:
Lunch service will consist of a choice of a protein salad served with soup or premium sandwich paired with a side salad, and dinner service will consist of a choice between a hot entrée served with a side salad or a protein salad with hot soup.
That said, it seems like the correct response would be to give you one if they had them leftover.

Something like "we only have enough soups to pair with the salads, but if someone chooses not to eat it I'd be happy to give it to you." But that would be, like, logical and stuff.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FortFun
That's the new system. From UA Insider's http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24207486-post1.htmlpost:

That said, it seems like the correct response would be to give you one if they had them leftover.

Something like "we only have enough soups to pair with the salads, but if someone chooses not to eat it I'd be happy to give it to you." But that would be, like, logical and stuff.
I must have missed this - so it's official that soup is restricted to salad entrees? If so, that really needs to be changed.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I must have missed this - so it's official that soup is restricted to salad entrees? If so, that really needs to be changed.
Sounds like it. And I agree that it's a bit odd. They do seem to have increased the size of the sandwiches (or at least the bread), so that might have something to do with it.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I think the new salads are mediocre. The new bowl looks nice, presentation much better, but the quinoa isn't my cup of tea. I know it's good for you and everything, but I'd prefer a different garnish
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think this is the official rule; I've heard and seen it offered this way several times in domestic F this year.

So where did the bonus soup go? Bonus soup vortex? Reused for soup later in the day?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jewels421
I'm with JVPhoto. The fact that quinoa in salad is freaking you guys out is kind of hilarious. And I would argue feta and watermelon is relatively old news as a flavor combination at this point (I just looked and there are 17 different recipes for watermelon/feta salads on allrecipes).
+1. Fruit & cheese can be an excellent flavor combo. I am glad to see a little innovation. Kinda funny how these relatively tame menu items are causing such angst here.

Last edited by Bear96; Apr 22, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:51 pm
Suspended

I'm probably biased because I dislike feta and airlines use too much of it already.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

The crew has to eat too!

Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k
4/20 SFO-ORD 11:49 departure: soup/salad, tandoori chicken or butternut ravioli for lunch. Lemon sorbet for dessert. I was in 1A and chicken was served not completely heated. FA recognized problem before I had first bite and replaced the whole meal. Apparently one oven was not working correctly. This made service a bit slow but the crew was great and worked hard to keep everyone happy.
All food tasted fine but would be nice to have a non-creamy salad dressing option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.