Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions on the ABE-EWR bus service segment (ABE-EWR-XXX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Questions on the ABE-EWR bus service segment (ABE-EWR-XXX)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Filler03
Starting/ending in ABE isnt often cheaper but when it is or when it is close in price I always book through there.
Same here; the drive to ABE vs. EWR is way closer for me (45 minutes vs. 2 hours) and I'll always take the extra 500 PQM.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I 'flew' the ABE-EWR bus 2 weeks ago. While the miles for the other segment that day have posted I received nothing for the bus ride. When I try to report the missing mileage, the website tells me I have received credit for that itinerary. (Obviously, I only received credit for the on-going from EWR, not ABE-EWR). What is the next step?

Not that 500 miles will affect my status at all, but the principal matters.

Former 1K, now just a MM, living in the same boat (or bus) as a credit card holder. UA doesn't care about loyalty, why should we?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wildbill412007
I 'flew' the ABE-EWR bus 2 weeks ago. While the miles for the other segment that day have posted I received nothing for the bus ride. When I try to report the missing mileage, the website tells me I have received credit for that itinerary. (Obviously, I only received credit for the on-going from EWR, not ABE-EWR). What is the next step?

Not that 500 miles will affect my status at all, but the principal matters.

Former 1K, now just a MM, living in the same boat (or bus) as a credit card holder. UA doesn't care about loyalty, why should we?
Call in for credit. It'll probably be processed right over the phone (though they'll probably say 24 - 72 hours to show up).

The message about already having received credit is SOP when you've already received credit for part of the trip.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Same thing just happened to me. Miles posted for the air segment but not the bus segment. Looks like a phone call is in order.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PE, Hertz PC, National EE
ABE -> EWR

Is anyone familiar with how the current United Express Bus Service between ABE and EWR works, particularly with making connecting UAL flights?

Do I go through TSA in both ABE and EWR, or does the bus drop you off at EWR inside the gate areas?

Are my bags checked all the way through, or do I have to re-check in EWR?

Same question, in reverse, when flying RIC-EWR-ABE - do I retrieve my bag in EWR and recheck on the bus, or is it checked all the way through?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Already addressed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ight=allentown
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MrRST
Is anyone familiar with how the current United Express Bus Service between ABE and EWR works, particularly with making connecting UAL flights?

Do I go through TSA in both ABE and EWR, or does the bus drop you off at EWR inside the gate areas?

Are my bags checked all the way through, or do I have to re-check in EWR?

Same question, in reverse, when flying RIC-EWR-ABE - do I retrieve my bag in EWR and recheck on the bus, or is it checked all the way through?

You do not go through TSA at ABE, only EWR. Bags are checked at ABE and loaded into the back, you can not get at them for the rest of your trip until destination. No need to get your bag either direction, its checked through.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:01 am
GJ7

Has anyone used the ABE-EWR bus service recently?

I just found out it was a bus service yesterday, my bus leaves ABE at 5:05pm on a Friday and arrives at 6:30pm assuming we have no traffic. My flight out of EWR leaves at 7:10pm. I have spoken to many United Airlines reps on the phone who keep saying I only have to do security at ABE and not EWR, that I will be dropped off at my gate?

From all of the forums I have read, everyone has said you have to do security at EWR which if that is the case I do not think it is very possible to make my flight.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
I haven't taken it in the last year, but when I went ABE-EWR, I had to go through security at EWR.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott T, HH D, IHG SA.
Originally Posted by GJ7

I just found out it was a bus service yesterday, my bus leaves ABE at 5:05pm on a Friday and arrives at 6:30pm assuming we have no traffic. My flight out of EWR leaves at 7:10pm. I have spoken to many United Airlines reps on the phone who keep saying I only have to do security at ABE and not EWR, that I will be dropped off at my gate?

From all of the forums I have read, everyone has said you have to do security at EWR which if that is the case I do not think it is very possible to make my flight.
Based on last December, ABE-EWR-XXX, go through security at EWR. Bag checked at ABE and no need to pick up at EWR.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GJ7
I have spoken to many United Airlines reps on the phone who keep saying I only have to do security at ABE and not EWR, that I will be dropped off at my gate?
Not true on 2 levels: You do NOT go through security at ABE - the bus picks you up at the upper level curb outside of the UA check-in desk. Therefore it is not possible to drop you inside security at EWR. The confusion might be that the bus departs EWR from inside security. It's a small bus and they load you pretty close to scheduled departure time. You are dropped at the regular passenger drop curb at EWR, similar to a shuttle bus from a hotel. I took it in both directions several times last year, most recent in Nov, including that 5:00 flight. I never had a problem with traffic - it runs on time or slightly early. There is free wifi on the bus.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by GJ7

GJ7, are you able to provide an update? United seems very apt to selling <60 minute connections ABE>EWR>XXX, so I have two booked in the coming months. One is 40 minutes and the other is 41 minutes. Barring no IRROPS I should be fine (one time the inbound bus broke down and ABE>EWR was operated with a very late party bus that had no air conditioning in the middle of a July heatwave...because it wasn't the normal bus they had no way of securing the luggage so we all had to check-in at EWR). I wrote a complaint and received $75 ETC. Thank God I had a generous connection time and was fine for my EWR>XXX. Quite a few on the bus were not, however.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:20 pm
GJ7

Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
GJ7, are you able to provide an update? United seems very apt to selling <60 minute connections ABE>EWR>XXX, so I have two booked in the coming months. One is 40 minutes and the other is 41 minutes. Barring no IRROPS I should be fine (one time the inbound bus broke down and ABE>EWR was operated with a very late party bus that had no air conditioning in the middle of a July heatwave...because it wasn't the normal bus they had no way of securing the luggage so we all had to check-in at EWR). I wrote a complaint and received $75 ETC. Thank God I had a generous connection time and was fine for my EWR>XXX. Quite a few on the bus were not, however.
I spoke with a United rep on Facebook messenger, who actually took the time to look into my concern and found out you had to go through TSA at EWR. Funny how every United rep on the phone just lied to me and said I did not have to do TSA at EWR, that would be directly taken to the gate. The rep on Facebook was kind enough to switch me to an earlier flight that had a 2 hour layover at EWR and did not make me pay the $200 fee to change. My bus ride was from 1pm-2:15pm, arriving a few minutes early. Every seat was taken, packed full and assigned seats don't count on the bus. TSA took about 20 minutes. I'd say a 40 minute connection may be possible depending on the bus time and when gates to the plane close. I think United does not realize you have to go through security after the bus ride so they don't focus on the short layover times.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by GJ7
I spoke with a United rep on Facebook messenger, who actually took the time to look into my concern and found out you had to go through TSA at EWR. Funny how every United rep on the phone just lied to me and said I did not have to do TSA at EWR, that would be directly taken to the gate. The rep on Facebook was kind enough to switch me to an earlier flight that had a 2 hour layover at EWR and did not make me pay the $200 fee to change. My bus ride was from 1pm-2:15pm, arriving a few minutes early. Every seat was taken, packed full and assigned seats don't count on the bus. TSA took about 20 minutes. I'd say a 40 minute connection may be possible depending on the bus time and when gates to the plane close. I think United does not realize you have to go through security after the bus ride so they don't focus on the short layover times.
Either they "lied" to you, or "Unites does not realize", it can't be both.

Thanks for clarifying this issue . I usually don't mind short connections but 40 minutes at EWR with TSA is pushing it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Aliquot

Thanks for clarifying this issue . I usually don't mind short connections but 40 minutes at EWR with TSA is pushing it.
Trip update! Took the "basement bus" recently ABE>EWR>XXX with success. Bus arrived 10 minutes early, TSA Pre took about seven minutes, and arrived at the gate just as pre-boarding started. (35-minute board time).

40 minutes IS doable, but no room for error.

SAP
SS255 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.