Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA follow Delta's cabin changes incl. removing E+ at booking for gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA follow Delta's cabin changes incl. removing E+ at booking for gold?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arctikjon
This would be a pointless thing to do... and would really have very little impact on anyone. Golds would still have access to to seats in advance of silvers and its not like there is ever a shortage of E+ anyway.
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I mean, when I was a Silver I was 100% getting E+ at T-24, whether it was a TATL flight or a mid-con.
The shortage of E+ seats is not an issue on mainline planes (the ones most often used for mid-cons and TATL flights). It is an issue on regionals, which United tends to use for longer and longer domestic flights. I almost always see E+ availability on mainline planes at T-72. Not so much on RJs.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
On briefly reading the details, my biggest concern is the possibility of UA removing E+ access on lower fare buckets....

A NOTE FOR OUR MEDALLION MEMBERS:
When flying on a Basic Economy fare, Medallion members will continue to enjoy waived baggage fees, Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding and Medallion mileage bonuses. However, please note Medallion members will not receive paid or Complimentary Upgrades or Preferred Seats, or paid, complimentary or discounted Economy Comfort™ when flying on a Basic Economy fare on or after February 1, 2015.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by GroundStop
On briefly reading the details, my biggest concern is the possibility of UA removing E+ access on lower fare buckets....
Holy cow!!!

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Changing benefits due to a merger between airlines is a different scenario than changing benefits due to simple policy preferences. The parameters of that RPU case and those with a potential post-merger United dropping a significant Lifetime Gold benefit would be quite different. A merger gives airlines an excuse to drop benefits that one airline enjoyed and the other didn't. That isn't the case here.

Again, I still doubt that UA would drop the automatic booking benefit for E+ for its Gold and higher elites. Until then, this is all academic.
Oh I am so in if anybody wants to start a new class action. The whole reduction of MM benifits for golds is ridiculous. And now that the programs have been merged for a few years we have an assumed level of benifits for flying those million miles.

Maybe we will be lucky enough and they will drop *A status to silver for golds too!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 8, 2014 at 7:38 pm Reason: Merge
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
What constitutes a "Basic Economy" fare class on DL?

Edit: As explained by DL, seems like they're trying to run a bit of Spirit airlines in with the rest of their airline:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...c-economy.html

But the Basic Economy fares are not widely available. They don't include, for example, advanced seat assignments either.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raehl311
What constitutes a "Basic Economy" fare class on DL? ....
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...c-economy.html
"E" fares are DL's rock bottom fares with lots of restrictions and removal of elite benefits -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-answered.html
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
"E" fares are DL's rock bottom fares with lots of restrictions and removal of elite benefits -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-answered.html
This is another non-starter for me for DL, as my Concur (employer's) booking engine requires the lowest fare be booked.

I'll have to continue to manipulate the system to find the flights/carriers I actually want.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by raehl311
But the Basic Economy fares are not widely available. They don't include, for example, advanced seat assignments either.
Not yet, but DL is planning to expand it to all market whenever matching fares of low fare carriers.

Jiburi
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
why is this even a question? a better thread would have been to just prematurely make the announcement that UA is copying DL again, then when it happens you can claim that you're a prophet
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by kale73
The shortage of E+ seats is not an issue on mainline planes (the ones most often used for mid-cons and TATL flights). It is an issue on regionals, which United tends to use for longer and longer domestic flights. I almost always see E+ availability on mainline planes at T-72. Not so much on RJs.
I dont find this to be true... I routinely am sitting in an RJ and I book only a handful of days out... almost always E+ available. Only exception is the RJ45s that dont really hav E+ expext the bulkhead and exit rows.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only exception is the RJ45s that dont really hav E+ expext the bulkhead and exit rows.
Precisely (and the 135s). Nearly every round trip I take involves a minimum of two legs on a 135/145.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Only exception is the RJ45s that dont really hav E+ expext the bulkhead and exit rows.
Nor CRJ200s, EMB120s (while still in the fleet), Q200s, Q300s, ....
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I actually doubt that UA will remove automatic E+ booking for Golds. With it being harder to qualify for Gold based on the newly increased revenue requirements, there will be fewer Golds. And with fewer Golds, there are more E+ seats that UA already can sell/upcharge.

IF UA were to preclude E+ booking for Gold, that would be a major devaluation of 1 million mile/Lifetime Gold benefits--and probably subject UA to a class action lawsuit since once one qualifies for Lifetime Gold, there is a legal assumption of continuation of comparable benefits.

If you think united will honor past benefits I wouldnt count on it. They will come after the gs next and at some point eliminate status and the program for good which free us all and perhaps we can finally buy on quality rather than an incentive.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
so glad I switched to AA ^
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
I doubt UA will follow. DL's dilemma is that they have very few E comfort seats. UA has a lot more of them, so I dont think they need to make more restrictions on how to obtain them.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SW A-list
What, Jeff would have an original thought this time? Me thinks not. Of course they will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.