Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA follow Delta's cabin changes incl. removing E+ at booking for gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Seems like since United is in the habit of copying Delta's devaluations they will follow Delta in bumping gold elites from E+ at booking to 72 hours before flight. But I am guessing they won't match the free drinks and premium snacks part
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
E+ is sounding more and more like like a separate cabin.

Remember when a Premier Executive would try to upgrade to F 72 hrs in advance.... Now it's (on DL) trying to upgrade to E+.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by olouie
...But I am guessing they won't match the free drinks and premium snacks part
The free drinks are internationally and JFK-LAX/SFO only, but it's something that UA probably won't match. I bet they do eventually emulate DL w/ shorter Gold "free" window and pre-window discounts for Golds/Silvers. I'm sure a lot of of travelers (especially those traveling with others) probably would pay to sit together if a discount was offered to avoid the seat lottery.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:01 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I hope not!!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
If so, it would be yet another cut to the Million Miler benefits.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The free drinks are internationally and JFK-LAX/SFO only, .
All DL international Y pax already get free booze today. The free drinks and comp premium snacks are now for all Y+ pax systemwide.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Ugh...please don't say that. I'm dropping from 1k this year for a number of reasons. It looks like I'm going to be just short of Platinum and trying to decide if a MR after Christmas is worth it.

If E+ were to go the way of Silver, I'd probably do the MR. If they do this, maybe they can wait until 2016 when I should be 1k again.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Where do I send my money to place my bet on this? There is NO DOUBT in my mind that UA will match the devaluation side of DL's announcement, but not the added amenity side of the announcement.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Geez I hope not, this will make Asia MR's unbearable
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Continental
I'll say it again....If Delta jumped off a bridge...
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The free drinks are internationally and JFK-LAX/SFO only, but it's something that UA probably won't match. I bet they do eventually emulate DL w/ shorter Gold "free" window and pre-window discounts for Golds/Silvers. I'm sure a lot of of travelers (especially those traveling with others) probably would pay to sit together if a discount was offered to avoid the seat lottery.
My understanding is that the change is free drinks on domestic flights other than the JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA nonstop transcons.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by olouie
Seems like since United is in the habit of copying Delta's devaluations they will follow Delta in bumping gold elites from E+ at booking to 72 hours before flight. But I am guessing they won't match the free drinks and premium snacks part
On the assumption they will readily ape the other airline, another unfortunate development and devaluation of MM status. On matching the snacks and drinks, I doubt it. The ready use of the stick without a carrot has characterized the whole UA march to the bottom (and made the Smisek, "changes you will like" one of the more hypocritical/fantasy remarks to emerge from a Fortune 500 CEO mouth).
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: United Silver
In my opinion SDC/E+ are by far the best benefits of Gold. If they take away one of them I'd expect major backlash (which as has been shown UA doesn't care about).
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
The change is free drinks for all domestic flights and free snacks on flights >900 miles for those in Y+.

I find it funny that as soon as DL makes a change there is always a will UA match the change thread.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I find it funny that as soon as DL makes a change there is always a will UA match the change thread.
+1. Although it turns out more often than not true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.