Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare Class E finally answered??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold

Just searched a DTW-MCO fare and had this come up as options to purchase.

Basic Economy E Fare, no pre assigned seats, even elites, non refundable, etc. I guess this finally answers what E Class is, I did not see if it earns full MQM or not, as I did not purchase the fare as the T was only $15 more and was well under my approved amount for purchase.

I does appear to earn full mileage after some further review.

Last edited by kss5555; Mar 20, 2012 at 10:48 am Reason: More Info
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
And DL takes one more step toward becoming FR. For those who want to see it in action (it splits fares into three columns now, which explains all the excess whitespace in the recent update), check 25ARP12 outbound and 26APR12 return on DTW-MCO. The really weird thing is that on the dates in question, it's only $12 cheaper than an L outbound/T return ticket.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by mtkeller
And DL takes one more step toward becoming FR. For those who want to see it in action (it splits fares into three columns now, which explains all the excess whitespace in the recent update), check 25ARP12 outbound and 26APR12 return on DTW-MCO. The really weird thing is that on the dates in question, it's only $12 cheaper than an L outbound/T return ticket.
Thanks for posting an example.

I guess you get what you pay for...

Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From dl.com:

Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
It doesn't allow any changes, even for a fee! Wow. I guess rev mgmt is willing to give up the $150 potential change fee in exchange for the small possibility of being able to sell the whole ticket again or offer fewer VDBs in the case of no-shows.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:18 am

I'm sure that this will become the norm within a few years. At least there will be more open seats for selection now.

I also love how the above chart mentions peanuts and pretzels, but no biscoff...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
From Delta's website (Fare Info and Ticket Rules):
Basic Economy Fare Features
Delta's new Basic Economy fares are our lowest-priced fares and are available in select markets in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin islands. We're able to keep these fares low by limiting certain benefits found in other Delta Economy class fares. For example, Basic Economy fares are non refundable and no cancellations or changes may be made once the ticket is purchased. However, this fare is eligible for Risk Free Cancel and our Same-day Travel Changes programs.

Advance seat selection
Advance seat selection is not available with Basic Economy fares. Seat assignments will be auto-assigned for Basic Economy fare holders during check in.
At only a $15 discount (and seemingly a great deal of advance purchase required), the discount doesn't seem worth the restrictions.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Beat me to it... no changes, no refunds, no seat assignments.

You know what though, if DL wants to do this I have no problems, as it'll free up more seats for the rest of us to select... as long as it remains restricted to this lowest fare class and there is no creep into other fares.

I also saw on the booking page a banner for:

EASE INTO AN ECONOMY FARE
Add more convenience

Select your seat in advance
Change flights when plans change

Trade up to Economy Class for only $6.00 more per person each way
Includes taxes & fees
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dcline414
From Delta's website (Fare Info and Ticket Rules):

At only a $15 discount (and seemingly a great deal of advance purchase required), the discount doesn't seem worth the restrictions.
I imagine the fare difference will vary by market. For the extremely price sensitive traveler purchasing through a GDS portal or aggregator, even a small savings can make a big difference.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan

You know what though, if DL wants to do this I have no problems, as it'll free up more seats for the rest of us to select... as long as it remains restricted to this lowest fare class and there is no creep into other fares.

I also saw on the booking page a banner for:

EASE INTO AN ECONOMY FARE
Add more convenience

Select your seat in advance
Change flights when plans change

Trade up to Economy Class for only $6.00 more per person each way
Includes taxes & fees
I figured that chart summed it up really well....
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:26 am

The problem is that tons of people today are booking with sites like Kayak, Expedia, etc. Here, they see the lowest price and grab it. That will create a perceived sense of high demand to Delta, which will likely influence them to expand these "savings" to other fare brackets. Time will tell...

I also find it interesting how that chart mentions "redeemable mileage," but says nothing about MQMs...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:30 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by akonradi
The problem is that tons of people today are booking with sites like Kayak, Expedia, etc. Here, they see the lowest price and grab it. That will create a perceived sense of high demand to Delta, which will likely influence them to expand these "savings" to other fare brackets. Time will tell...
Exactly. People will buy the cheapest, not realizing they are totally non-refundable and totally non-changeable. Then you will have families on two PNR's and their "auto-assigned" seats will be separate from each other, creating headaches for GA's and pax on board as they try to switch seats.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oh good point, didn't think about people getting hosed by booking lowest fare from a 3rd party and not knowing about the catches and then making DL think it is really popular.

I looked at the fare rules and it doesn't say anything regarding lower/restricted mileage/MQM earning. The purchase page also shows full MQM for the flight, although we all know how that is not accurate.

EDIT:
Other thing... is a $12 savings really worth it to buy this fare for no seat assignment and no changes?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:36 am

I looked at the fare rules and it doesn't say anything regarding lower/restricted mileage/MQM earning. The purchase page also shows full MQM for the flight, although we all know how that is not accurate.
I can't remember ever seeing any mention of mileage accrual in a DL revenue fare rule. Maybe I just have a bad memory, though.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Oh good point, didn't think about people getting hosed by booking lowest fare from a 3rd party and not knowing about the catches and then making DL think it is really popular.

EDIT:
Other thing... is a $12 savings really worth it to buy this fare for no seat assignment and no changes?
The way the chart rwoman has so kindly shared with everyone is worded makes me think we're going to see MQMs removed from E fares before too long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.