Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EUA system screws up, supervisor gets horribly rude

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EUA system screws up, supervisor gets horribly rude

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
Either that, or there was a stall, like in the OP's situation, and the 1K/GS folks didn't clear until the Platinum window.
I've observed plenty of flights that were, say, R>5 and stayed that way until one of the intermediate windows (e.g., T-72 or T-48) and then processed a batch of apparent CPUs. There may be "stalls", but I also suspect that either the sweep wasn't set to run for that flightor, perhaps more likely, Rcpu (the hidden bucket that CPUs come out of) was set to 0 during previous sweeps.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A
The sweep is supposed to run at T-96, and then repeatedly after.

The destination was partly chosen because of the open availability - as space is clearly available.

I've personally only a UDU or EUA not clear on Hawaii one time, and that was a flight that was R0 from the start. The flights with R have always cleared at the window.

And again, my real gripe is with how much of a jerk the supervisor was.
Hawaii CPUs have gone from reliable for 1K to dicey at best. Worse, it is often impossible to find any R>0 to even throw an instrument at. Big change here over last year.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
To summarize: if you are waitlisted for CPU and the CPU doesn't clear within the window while R>0, the only (productive) thing to call UA about is to make sure *your* reservation is not out of sync. If your reservation is fine, then you are stuck waiting for the computer to do its thing. UA agents will not clear your CPU.

When using an instrument however and R>0, you can do the "remove the instrument and reapply" maneuver, and that is worth a call and that should get the upgrade confirmed for you, potentially skipping the waitlist queue.

I think the strong reaction to the OP is that this scenario (waitlisted for CPU that doesn't clear within the window while R>0) has been so common over the past 3 years that it's old news. Few are happy about it, but we've adjusted to the ways of this new system. Perhaps the OP has been lucky and it hasn't happened on routes he flies, and he's now going through the freak-out that many of us did 2-3 years ago, in compared to the PMUA system we had become used to. And in this case the OP was lucky and got the upgrade at T-96. Many times in that scenario it won't clear till T-24, at the gate or not at all. Just one of the MANY things that changed from the days of the Tulip.

Also, as relates to the DL/AA comparison, I think it's worth pointing out that not only does DL not have transparency of its upgrade bucket, they don't even allow their revenue fare classes to be displayed on sites like EF.... Which in some ways is more arrogant and customer-unfriendly than these UA upgrade glitches, which have lingered now for 3 years and while certainly imperfect at least offers some benefits to those with the time and patience to closely monitor their flights.

Last edited by Tracer_SEA; Dec 4, 2014 at 8:30 am
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by N1120A
My CPU cleared at the Platinum window.
Well that was predictable.

A temper tantrum and false accusations of lying over a 24 hour delayed upgrade

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I think the strong reaction to the OP is that this scenario (waitlisted for CPU that doesn't clear within the window while R>0) has been so common over the past 3 years that it's old news. Few are happy about it, but we've adjusted to the ways of this new system.
I agree this is old news. It also seems people are not happy about it.

On the "not happy" part, many folks are missing the big picture. If you are a 1K, it is in many respects better for you if UA waits until T-24 to run the sweeps. You can snag the upgrade if you purchase late or SDC, as opposed to having all the F seats filled by Plats and Golds.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
The CPU holdback is getting worse in recent months (for my routes anyway - BUF/EWR/FLL). 1K and I clear at T-24 or the gate some of the time. Sell, sell, sell those upgrades!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well that was predictable.

A temper tantrum and false accusations of lying over a 24 hour delayed upgrade
For all we know, the out-of-sync bug was the cause (quite likely, IMO, based on the R9 situation), and by the OP posting this thread alerted one of the UA Insiders to notify one of the few people in the organization who can actually do something about it. It's possible they fixed the problem record (if it didn't get fixed via some other mechanism) before the next sweep (72h/Platinum), and the OP got he upgrade he should have received at the 96h/1K sweep.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For all we know, the out-of-sync bug was the cause (quite likely, IMO, based on the R9 situation), and by the OP posting this thread alerted one of the UA Insiders to notify one of the few people in the organization who can actually do something about it. It's possible they fixed the problem record (if it didn't get fixed via some other mechanism) before the next sweep (72h/Platinum), and the OP got he upgrade he should have received at the 96h/1K sweep.
I appreciate your views, but do not consider that a realistic scenario

My sweeps run at T-96 considerably less than half the time. I stopped freaking out about it a long time ago and my CPU percentage remains just fine.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I appreciate your views, but do not consider that a realistic scenario
How is it not a realistic scenario when UA themselves acknowledged said bug?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:40 am

How is it not a realistic scenario when UA themselves acknowledged said bug?
Well for one thing, OP never shared specific flight details. So not sure how UA Insider was supposed to have known which flight had a an out-of-synch reservation (assuming that was even the issue, which has NOT been established).

Nor do I think it realistic to suggest that UA Insider would actually get involved on this type of issue. I would hope that intervention is reserved for more worthy causes
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well for one thing, OP never shared specific flight details. So not sure how UA Insider was supposed to have known which flight had a an out-of-synch reservation (assuming that was even the issue, which has NOT been established).
You'd be surprised how much UA knows about every one of us. All they need to know is who the OP was from a previous interaction, and they they can look up upcoming flights within 96 hours. Quite simple, actually.

You'll also note, I suggested that the problem may have been "fixed via some other mechanism" outside of UA Insider.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:50 am

You'd be surprised how much UA knows about every one of us.
That's a stretch. The more accurate statement is that there is sufficient information provided in this forum for UA to identify many of us if it wishes to do so.

I respect your views on a wide range of subjects. But I completely disagree with you on the idea that any "injustice" was done here or that OP's FT rant had anything to do with the fact the CPU cleared at the next window.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a stretch. The more accurate statement is that there is sufficient information provided in this forum for UA to identify many of us if it wishes to do so.
This goes back to the CO days, CO most definitely associated FT accounts with OP numbers and kept records of such. Seeing that present-day UA is for all intents and purposes, CO, I would not be surprised to see this practice continue.

I respect your views on a wide range of subjects. But I completely disagree with you on the idea that any "injustice" was done here or that OP's FT rant had anything to do with the fact the CPU cleared at the next window.
Given the above, I think it is a serious possibility. Not saying it did happen, but it's not terribly far-fetched either.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by docbert
That might carry more weight if not for comments from you like this one - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23927941-post390.html
What I've come to realize on FT is that when one has lost the "debate" on FT, one then searches for previous posts from those whom one has lost the debate to, to discredit the poster.

Think character assassination of a witness...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
I completely disagree with you on the idea that (...) that OP's FT rant had anything to do with the fact the CPU cleared at the next window.
Given the above, I think it is a serious possibility. Not saying it did happen, but it's not terribly far-fetched either.
With all due respect, this presupposes the level of customer service responsiveness that is not very likely in UA's case. (Especially given that this thread originated because OP was yelled at by UA CS supervisor - a HUGE no-no for any customer service.)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
What I've come to realize on FT is that when one has lost the "debate" on FT, one then searches for previous posts from those whom one has lost the debate to, to discredit the poster.
Not sure how you came to the conclusion about who "won" or "lost" the debate. But if you count the number of FT members who voice support for OP's position in this thread, I think you may reach a different conclusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.