Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rapidly changed fare buckets on United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Anyone else having a problem with fare buckets mysteriously vanishing?? Just found R space for a return flight from Asia going through the East Coast. United.com showed V3 available, rep called rate desk to check on fare difference and during that call V, Q and H vanished with just M1 available and a sudden $1080 fare difference.

Not a happy camper in Osaka right now!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Yeah, but the weird thing is the V space on the TPAC is still available as is the R space but the one flight I could make same day EWR-DEN is the one where the fares disappeared and the magic $1080 M fare appeared!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 29, 2014 at 4:55 pm Reason: response to a deleted message, language
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sometimes people book flights...
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It has happened to all of us -- availability can be very dynamic.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Airlines, train companies apply " dynamic pricing" . These are very sophisticated algorithms that "know" what will happen to a given flight. I think a one time CEO at United developed this system.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Three seats is a family of three or a business sending three people to a meeting. That happens tens of thousands of times a day around the world. It happened on your flight. Early bird got the worm.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Airlines, train companies apply " dynamic pricing" . These are very sophisticated algorithms that "know" what will happen to a given flight. I think a one time CEO at United developed this system.
United and most other airlines basically don't use dynamic pricing at all. And Amtrak certainly doesn't. I think maybe you're talking about a basic fare and availability system.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
United and most other airlines basically don't use dynamic pricing at all. And Amtrak certainly doesn't. I think maybe you're talking about a basic fare and availability system.
beg to differ...perhaps the terminology is not correct.

Elsewhere I have also read that if one first browses fares....comes back later, the same fare goes up. Therefore the advice is clear cookies or use a different browser.
Seen this on foreign airlines and trains also.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Elsewhere I have also read that if one first browses fares....comes back later, the same fare goes up. ....
Urban legend time? Never seen this effect and I tend extensively browse before buying.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Urban legend time? Never seen this effect and I tend extensively browse before buying.
If they did this, the W fare SFO-HKG I've been watching obsessively for the past two weeks would now be up over $50,000
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Kacee
If they did this, the W fare SFO-HKG I've been watching obsessively for the past two weeks would now be up over $50,000
...and is it?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flyingeagle
...and is it?
$1330, same as it's been for weeks.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I had this happen to me earlier today - basically I was told that the web interface is out of sync with the base system. I booked a flight to Austria this morning because it showed PN4 available on the flight I wanted. It ticketed immediately and then the outbound upgrade was not available. I called GS line and they said PN0 is what their system shows - so I made them try and book a one way flight and sure enough it showed PN4 - on the web system....

So, I cancelled the ticket as they refused to open up PN space. Moral of the story - the website isn't always reliable indicator of real space - which in fairness they warn us about when we enable expert mode...
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:50 pm

beg to differ...perhaps the terminology is not correct.

Elsewhere I have also read that if one first browses fares....comes back later, the same fare goes up. Therefore the advice is clear cookies or use a different browser.
Seen this on foreign airlines and trains also.
No, this is just a myth or (sometimes) a website with a bad search feature. Most airlines use simple fares that are widely published to GDS systems. No dynamic pricing.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:46 pm

Seeing weird stuff happening with a flight tomorrow I'm trying to SDC into that I've been monitoring all day...just now, in the span of 10-15 min, it went from Y9 to Y0, only F1 available...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.