Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
It appears that United is now able to determine if you are using a VPN and will not let you purchase a GC if you use one.
A lot of websites block VPN access - including FT!!!!
Old May 24, 2021, 9:30 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by phkc070408
A lot of websites block VPN access - including FT!!!!
I'm well aware of that but until recently there was a work-around that enabled MPX users to buy GCs using a VPN but with a 3-day delay in delivery (I wrote about it further upthread). Now, it doesn't work and I believe it is because United has found a way to block it.
ryandelmundo likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I'm not physically in the US but I have a US account address. I used to be able to buy GCs with the MPX app using a VPN but it took 3 days to receive them. Now, it doesn't work anymore. I emailed mileageplusx-agent as United requested. It took a few days to get a reply that said "MilagePlux X gift cards can only be purchased or redeemed when the user is physically located in the 50 United States (or District of Columbia). To process an online gift card purchase also requires a domestic US account address." It appears that United is now able to determine if you are using a VPN and will not let you purchase a GC if you use one. If you are physically located in the US, you shouldn't have a problem.
When you launch the app the first thing it does is locating all nearby merchants. That means it’s not IP, it’s GPS. You’ll have to turn location off too if you want it to not know you’re not in the US.
Old May 24, 2021, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
When you launch the app the first thing it does is locating all nearby merchants. That means it’s not IP, it’s GPS. You’ll have to turn location off too if you want it to not know you’re not in the US.
Sorry I wasn't so clear about this in my earlier post, because you cannot buy GCs on the MPX app using a VPN, the work-around (if you live outside the US) below is how you can buy GCs that appear on the MPX app but you actually buy them at the MP gift card website using a VPN. However, this recently stopped working, it seems that you cannot use a VPN to buy from outside the US anymore.

There is a way to use the app from outside the US. I discovered this recently and have been using it to buy numerous gift cards while traveling outside the US since. I do it from my desktop PC, but there should be no problem doing it from your mobile phone. Here's the solution:

1. Go to this website: https://giftcards.mileageplus.com/
2. At "Payment type" near the top, select "credit card"
3. Every card available with the earn rate will display
4. You can filter by "earn/redemption rate" to find the highest earn rate. You can also filter by category if you are looking only for restaurant GCs, etc.
5. You will need to sign in to make the purchase.
6. Click on the desired card
7. Enter gift card value
8. Select form of payment (if you have multiple cards registered)
9. Click Yes or No next to "Is this a gift?"
10. Click "Next"
11. Click "Purchase" (You will see a message saying that it will take three days for the purchase to process).
12. On the next screen you will see "Purchase is being processed" and "Transaction summary" showing miles earned for purchase, 25% Chase bonus, and total award miles earned.

It takes three days for these purchases to process and after three days the GCs will show up in the MPX app.
Actually, you are not using the MPX app from outside the US (as mentioned above), you are using the MP gift card website to buy the same GCs that appear on the MPX app while still getting the same point bonuses provided by the MPX app..

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; May 25, 2021 at 2:33 am
Old May 25, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
It really depends on your VPN. When outside of the US I have bought GCs when connected to a server back in the US though my company's Cisco based VPN. None of the basic consumer or freeware stuff like NordVPN, ExpressVPN or any of the like will work for you. UA or their provider has blocked those.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4
It really depends on your VPN. When outside of the US I have bought GCs when connected to a server back in the US though my company's Cisco based VPN. None of the basic consumer or freeware stuff like NordVPN, ExpressVPN or any of the like will work for you. UA or their provider has blocked those.
Thanks for the DP, but you are an exception to the rule. Since most people use commercial or freeware VPN, then, as I previously stated, you're basically out of luck trying to buy MP giftcards from abroad using a VPN, unless they can ask you to buy the cards for them, or they too can connect to a company server in the US when traveling abroad.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:52 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Has anyone been denied MileagePlus Shopping miles when using an egift card purchased through MileagePlus X with the triple dip?

I made a purchase of just over $100 at UnderArmour for a memorial day promotion providing 12x miles per $, plus 500 miles when you spend $100. Nothing posted automatically for this or a purchase with another merchant a few days later (I almost always have to follow up).

MP Shopping customer service is trying to deny my MP Shopping miles due to using a gift card where the terms state "Purchases made with a gift card may be ineligible." It does not say they will be, but MAY be.

Triple Dip has been around for a very long time and I am amazed that they are trying to deny miles due to this... especially when the gift card is purchased from them. I would have paid by CC instead of gift card if this was now the case.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
I'm about to make a big purchase, and GCs through MileagePlusX are capped at $250 each. I successfully bought 2, but started getting error messages when I attempted to buy the 3rd. Is this typical (fraud prevention?), a bug, or something else?

I wrote this AM to the email address provided on the MileagePlusX app error message. How long does a reply usually take--a few hours, days, or weeks?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:51 pm

I have often bought 2 gift cards (Petco) at the same time but never tried more than that.

It's been a while, but the few times I had to email them they always did respond, I think within 3 to 5 days.

Make sure you have done your due diligence to ensure your purchase qualifies for miles. Things like the newest model electronics (especially iphones) are sometimes excluded.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
I'm trying to purchase gift cards, and every single card gets declined. I tried it from both the MileagePlus X app as well as the gift card store in my browser on my laptop, and neither of them work.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Delta 764
I'm trying to purchase gift cards, and every single card gets declined. I tried it from both the MileagePlus X app as well as the gift card store in my browser on my laptop, and neither of them work.
I was able to buy a Walmart GC around 11am EST.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
MPX spending / Chase UA CC Welcome Bonus

Hello: After a several-year hiatus, I am returning to both FlyerTalk and United MP, and have a bit of catching up to do. For example, I just learned of the MPX app this week, and am still trying to wrap my head around how it works. The following seems like a question that must have previously been answered somewhere on FT, but after searching the Chase forum, the MP forum (for Quest) and here I have not been able to find discussion of it, so I apologize if it has already been asked and answered, so to speak.

My question is whether the purchase of "eGift Cards" through MPX will count toward my $4000 "spend" requirement for receiving the initial bonus miles offered to new holders of a Chase UA-branded credit card (specifically, the Quest card). . I can see now that the MPX app has been out for a number of years, but my old-fashioned brain is trained to think of gift card purchases as being "iffy" in terms of both miles accumulation and welcome bonus spending. But MPX seems to turn that assumption on its head, by categorizing its eGift Cards as "intended for purchase of products and services.". I understand from this thread's Wiki that purchases made through MPX with a Chase UA card will accumulate miles, but am curious to know whether they will also qualify as part of the required bonus spend. And if so, does that apply equally to eGift cards that are purchased for spending in the future, without being followed by an immediate purchase from the merchant? E.g. if I purchase 4 $250 eGift Cards through MPX, will that count toward $1000 of spending toward the welcome bonus?

Per the terms and conditions (screenshot below) the definition of what's excluded for bonus spend purpose seems virtually identical to what's excluded from mileage accumulation (i.e. "other cash-like transactions"), so my assumption would be that a purchase that qualifies for one would qualify for the other. But I feel like I must be missing something . . .

Thanks in advance for any wisdom and data points you can share

ZF

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Oct 6, 2022 at 4:04 pm
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:26 pm

IME, MPX spend counts as regular spend and it should count towards your sign-up bonus. Also, frequently the spend counts as spend towards the underlying merchant. Purchases usually post as MPX*merchant-name.

Since you have several months for the SUB spend, you can try for yourself and see how it posts. I don't remember if Chase has some sort of ticker for the sign-up bonus progress or not. If they do, you should see it advance if it's counting properly.

-David
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
IME, MPX spend counts as regular spend and it should count towards your sign-up bonus. Also, frequently the spend counts as spend towards the underlying merchant. Purchases usually post as MPX*merchant-name.

Since you have several months for the SUB spend, you can try for yourself and see how it posts. I don't remember if Chase has some sort of ticker for the sign-up bonus progress or not. If they do, you should see it advance if it's counting properly.

-David

Thanks so much for the reply LIH Prem -- very helpful!
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:23 pm

Cardholder bonus before your physical card arrives

I don't yet know the answer to the question I posted about app purchases counting toward SUB spend on the Quest card, because the *bleep* *bleep* thing has yet to arrive in the mail. However, I discovered today that even though I haven't received or signed the physical card, the MileagePus X app "knows" that I am a cardholder, and gave me the 25% cardholder purchase. Happy days
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.