Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Related New Articles for United/Orbitz vs. Skiplagged.com
(Mod Note: While some FTers have chosen to contribute to skiplagged's legal defense we request a direct link to do so not be placed in the wiki.)
Print Wikipost

UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
They are also offering point to point bookings inside 24hrs travel time... at some really cheap fares. But when I click on the link it forwards to cheapoair.com a company that has left several of the Customers I've dealt with stranded with non-payment after confirmation. Customer is made aware of that at ticket counter on a now full flight with no recourse.

I've also seen cheapoair.com book stupid connections with different airlines that could not possibly be made with no interline baggage agreements.

I thought cheapoair.com was done for good several months ago when the domain went dormant. And it's alive again. Could this be a ruse to resurrect cheapoair.com in a different way with it's GDS access? My apologies if this time around they prove responsible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CheapOair

Last edited by traveller001; Dec 31, 2014 at 2:46 am
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Flyer1M
At the end of the day, he exposes a loop hole in the airline pricing structure. United is clearly the bully here.
There is no loophole in pricing products to market vs cost plus basis.

This is industry wide practice and has saved consumers $$$$$ since deregulation.

Even if the lawsuit is dismissed, hidden city claw backs will continue, and I suspect will be more aggressively pursued.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, SWA Free Companion Award Winner, UA
THE WEBSITE HELPS THE AIRLINES.

1. Most flights are oversold.
2. When I enter into a contract for carriage with an airline, I am basically entering into a contract for transportation.
3. When a flight is oversold, that means my contract has been sold twice.
4. When I book a one way flight and skip the final segment, I am leaving a seat empty.
5. Chances are, I have just opened up a seat on an oversold flight.
6. The airline has profited by having already sold someone else my seat (overselling);
7. The airline now doesn't have to pay someone Denied Boarding Compensation because of my actions.

How does my skipping a flight HELP the airline? Simple the airline saves the cost of the fuel not spent to transport me (on a non-oversold flight) , and they still have the revenue. And on an over-sold flight, the airline may have simply had to NOT pay denied boarding compensation under DOT250.5 et.seq. The website HELPS THE AIRLINES.

Last edited by woolfson; Dec 31, 2014 at 6:30 am Reason: bold
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woolfson
Simply:

1. Most flights are oversold.
Err, you lost me at # 1.

Cite?

Originally Posted by DarF2001
No, but you can pay for the six-pack, only take the four cans you want, leave the other two in the cooler, and they are happy to sell them to another customer. They won't attempt to sue you for the price of two cans, or refuse to sell you any more until you pay up.
This type of analogy is way off base. With a plane ticket, you are paying to fly from AAA to BBB, not for the privilege of traveling through a certain hub.

A more apt comparison is taking a six-pack of Bud Light to the counter, paying for that, and then going back and exchanging it for a six-pack of Sam Adam's Utopia before leaving the store.

What's the big deal? I paid for a six-pack - why should it matter which one? *I* think they should be the same price.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 31, 2014 at 7:24 am Reason: Merge
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I used to nest tickets. Never called on it but truth is, work flew me AAA-BBB and then BBB-AAA 21 days apart. I flew home same carrier to visit home in the middle weekend of the trip to be with family.
Nesting tickets is generally on prohibited if it is done to circumvent ticketing restrictions such as minimum stay requirements. If that is not the case then you're free to nest tickets just as you did.

Originally Posted by perezoso
The mere fact that such ticketing practices are pervasive enough to create a market for such a service reeks of an under-regulated market to me.
One of the reports on this story used an example of buying a ticket from EWR to CHS with a connection in MIA in order to get from EWR to MIA at a lower price. EWR-CHS is significantly shorter than EWR-MIA so it makes sense that that ticket would cost less however, not all airlines will have EWR-CHS flights so to provide service they must offer connections through their hubs. At least one airline does offer non-stop EWR-CHS service. That airline also offers non-stop EWR-MIA service competing with the airline the airline who's EWR-(MIA)-CHS price they quoted as the hidden city oppertunity.

Please tell me how more regulation would result in these two airlines offering competative fares on both the EWR-CHS and EWR-MIA routes without hidden city fares being created? The math just doesn't work.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
$32000+ and climbing in the legal defense fund. That's over 15K in contributions in one day.

United's smartest move at this point is to buy the site out. It might have been chump change to defeat him legally before, but now, it's gonna cost a penny.

Granted, 30k is still chump change to their lawyers, but the dynamic has changed and he can now make the litigation draw on for quite a while. More to the point, he could actually get it to court now without bankrupting himself, and he might *gasp* win!

Fundamentally, United and Orbitz are demanding that a website be held responsible for providing information that some individual used to violate a contract that did not exist at the time the information was provided.

It's entirely possible the court will rule:

"Nope, you can't enforce a contract before it exists."
and/or:
"You can't hold someone liable for providing information before a contract exists after the contract exists."

At which point, all the other airlines and booking sites are giving United the serious frowny face since UA just hosed them all and hidden city becomes a ton more common. Hell, Orbitz will start showing it because why not?

Plus he's eliciting huge sympathy, and likely more donations of financial or other nature. This is becoming a PR headache for United/Goliath vs WebDude/David. In the realm of the unlikely but side-splitting, maybe Google will come along and buy his algorithm for google.com/flights and then just give UA and it's lawyers a "What, punk?" look. That'd be hysterical.

UA needs to now make this go away. The fastest way to do that, is buy the kid out. It'd probably be cheaper than litigation, and definitely cheaper than the PR nightmare and it might be a ton cheaper than if they lose (which is actually possible).

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by doug68
what if you have to turn around and go home due to an emergency? what if you have diarrhea of biblical proportions at the hub and can't fly onwards?
you can only use these excuses if you bought the ticket in good faith, then a scenario arose that prevented you from completing the itinerary (i.e. fulfilling your end of the contract). that's why airlines don't go after flyers who only have the rare occasional no-show.

Skiplagged is entirely different because the website encourages customers to book these tickets with malicious intent and bad faith to begin with. the website directly provide instructions on "how to get off at the middle".

Also, this website provide directly bookable links through to Orbitz, so just because they don't act as a ticketing TA themselves doesn't shield them from liability.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:16 am

Can I book an airline round trip fly from A to C with stopover connection at B, but only want to use the portion of B to C returning fly ? Will the airline refuse me boarding at B (or at C when return) as I am not flying from A ?

Last edited by yocea; Dec 31, 2014 at 8:30 am
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by takeahike66
Safety or Security Concerns?
I read all the post poop pooping safety concerns like it all make up as false pretense but consider these operational concerns.

If a passenger is missing from the flight that he is checked in (count is off), the airlines usually has to determine who the person is, did he check luggage? if yes, the luggage may need to be pulled, depending on the circumstances (miss-connection, skipped last leg). If miss-connection or other unpublished reasons, the luggage will continue, if for unknown reasons, the luggage is pulled. That a lot of background work going on to determine action to take when a checked in passenger is missing from the flight.
Under the current FAA regulations, "bags must fly with you" is not required for domestic US flights anymore. If you don't fly the last leg (missed connection, VDB to later flight, or missed connection), your bag WILL fly without you. They WILL NOT pull the bag off the flight. So the "safety concern" is utter BS.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I used to nest tickets. Never called on it but truth is, work flew me AAA-BBB and then BBB-AAA 21 days apart. I flew home same carrier to visit home in the middle weekend of the trip to be with family. If called on it, I'd say that my weekend trip home was not a company paid expense but my dime. It was the truth.
I did as well, long ago. Mine was MCI-LHR and LHR-MCI ten months apart on AA, with tons of EoE and traditional nesting back to MCI in the middle, some of it on AA ticket stock and some of the short-hop EoE on BA stock crediting to my AA account.

My hunch is that since I wasn't circumventing a minimum-stay fare rule, their queries didn't flag me. (The original MCI-LHR-MCI ticket was actually a bit on the expensive side of things...) Or maybe it did get flagged, somebody looked at it, and decided there was no trickery taking place. Who knows...

I'm still curious why Delta objected to a DFW EoE inside an R/T that originated in Detroit. I don't understand what their beef is with that. I might understand it if the embedded ticket had gone back to GRR or something, but Dallas?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by yocea
Can I book an airlines fly from A to C returning with stopover connection at B, but only want to use the portion of B to C returning fly? Will the airline refuse me boarding at B as I am not flying from A?
If you're describing A-B-C and only want to fly B-C, then no it won't work. the ticket would've been long cancelled the moment you no show at A.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yocea
Can I book an airline round trip fly from A to C with stopover connection at B, but only want to use the portion of B to C returning fly ? Will the airline refuse me boarding at B (or at C when return) as I am not flying from A ?
Generally speaking, no-showing anything is bad. That usually cancels the rest of the entire PNR.

If you have specifically ticketed a stopover (multi-segment itin as opposed to a normal round-trip with a standard connection), look at your specific fare rules, which may or may not differ by segment. You may have greater ability to cancel one segment and leave the rest intact. But even if you do, I'm pretty sure you'd want to take the action to cancel unwanted flights ahead of time...not just no-show them.

(I'm honestly not 100% sure which flight you want to cancel.)
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by kd_LAX
I just contributed to the Crowdfunding for the owner of Skiplagged's defense against United's greedy and ridiculous lawsuit.

I used my United Mileage Plus Chase Visa so I'll get miles for the contribution!

https://www.gofundme.com/skiplagged/

kd_LAX
Mileage Plus 1K
Million Miler
That's brillant!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:33 am

Perhaps I am also violating an airline's policies if I purchase a ticket from AAA to CCC via BBB and don't show up for either segment.

After all, just because I chose not to use something I paid for doesn't mean I am free to avoid the flight altogether.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:34 am

1. Return fly from A to C stopover at B cost 370.00.00,
2. Return flies from B to C cost 530.00 (all in Canadian).
In no. 1 the B to C portion is using the same airplanes as in no 2. How ridiculers.
I am flying from another place X, just want to visit B and C.
Year 2012 when I wanted to visit A, B, and C , the airline allowed me (I ask, they emailed me back suggesting me to do that.) to book the A to C ticket and forfeit the last leg B to C. (instep of one way A to B, + B to C return, costing 300.00 more). My whole trip was: X to A, A to C, C to B, and B to X.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.