Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Related New Articles for United/Orbitz vs. Skiplagged.com
(Mod Note: While some FTers have chosen to contribute to skiplagged's legal defense we request a direct link to do so not be placed in the wiki.)
Print Wikipost

UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
The airlines have a fair amount of leverage already - ability to confiscate miles from award program, bill the customer for the difference, refuse to issue any future tickets until the amount is paid - so it is not clear why they are going after the messenger. With current identification requirements, it is virtually impossible to hide, even if you do not try to obtain rewards for the flights. By more aggressive enforcement after the fact, the airlines generate the anticipated revenue, word will eventually get around, kill the goose laying the golden egg without forcing both parties to lawyer up, cause unintended consequences.

About the only carrier I would be willing to piss off is Delta, would not risk wearing out my welcome with any other major US carrier...
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Didn't the courts just argue that the DOT was the only channel for airline-related items?

Maybe they should tell UA to go to the DOT on this one then.
I assume you're mostly being facetious, but that's not what the court said...

...the court said the plaintiff didn't have a contract claim, and because ADA pre-empts state-law-based consumer/business fraud claims, their appropriate avenue for redress of their claim was the DoT.

In this case, United is arguing a contract claim.

Originally Posted by Darlox
Legally, the answer is actually "maybe". But it's a VERY different argument than if you're already in a contract, and I come along and say "I'll give you $100 to break your contract with Company X." It's also insanely difficult to prove pre-contract interference with liability attached, even when you have piles of examples where such activity may have occurred.
And in addition to the search being conducted before the contract exists, SkipLagged isn't providing any compensation to the passenger to break the contract, they're just providing the passenger with the information they need to book a ticket that allows the passenger to violate the contract to their advantage.

This all, of course, assumes that the hidden-city ticketing provisions of the contract are even enforceable. If I book a ticket XXX-YYY-ZZZ-YYY-XXX, and I decide for whatever reason not to get on the plane for the YYY-XXX flight, can the airline really force me to pay a higher airfare for that decision?

Can you legally contract someone to sit in a metal tube in the air for some period of time without any consideration?

I think you'd have a hard time arguing in court that a passenger owes an airline anything for not getting on a plane and not going anywhere... it's just no one has forced an airline to make that argument.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by raehl311

This all, of course, assumes that the hidden-city ticketing provisions of the contract are even enforceable. If I book a ticket XXX-YYY-ZZZ-YYY-XXX, and I decide for whatever reason not to get on the plane for the YYY-XXX flight, can the airline really force me to pay a higher airfare for that decision?

Can you legally contract someone to sit in a metal tube in the air for some period of time without any consideration?

I think you'd have a hard time arguing in court that a passenger owes an airline anything for not getting on a plane and not going anywhere... it's just no one has forced an airline to make that argument.
I agree w you. Just because someone writes up a one sided agreement does not mean it is enforceable.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2014 at 5:06 pm Reason: unneeded snark removed
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I just can't imagine anyone saying, in court, with a straight face:

"Your honor, the defendant refused to take a portion of an itinerary they paid us for. As such, according to the contract we wrote that he never saw containing a requirement your average person doesn't understand, we are due an additional fare of an amount we computed after the fact using a method entirely of our choosing."
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by kd_LAX
I just contributed to the Crowdfunding for the owner of Skiplagged's defense against United's greedy and ridiculous lawsuit.

I used my United Mileage Plus Chase Visa so I'll get miles for the contribution!

https://www.gofundme.com/skiplagged/

kd_LAX
Mileage Plus 1K
Million Miler
Originally Posted by pdsales
Thank you for sharing the gofundme.com site, the bigger the number the more United will realize that they just gave Skiplagged tons of free publicity and defacto underdog status. America loves underdogs! I gave $20.
+2. I just contributed too.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
And in addition to the search being conducted before the contract exists, SkipLagged isn't providing any compensation to the passenger to break the contract, they're just providing the passenger with the information they need to book a ticket that allows the passenger to violate the contract to their advantage.

It's not like they're going to detain you in the airplane or airport so you fly on to XXX. But they may send you a bill, and demand you pay that bill before they'll do business with you again.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Darlox
I think you may have missed my point... Skiplagged's alleged activity occurred BEFORE the consumer agreed to (or was even presented with) any contract.

If I run a mapping service, and I inform you that if you drive 60 mph you can make it to your destination in 1 hour, or if you drive 120 mph you can make it there in 30 minutes -- and you subsequently drive 120 mph and cause an accident, am I liable for your behavior because I did the math for you?

Or, maybe more applicable, if I point out to you in advance that signing a contract with Company X, and then breaking that contract later on, would be 20% more profitable to you than honoring your contract, am I liable for informing you of that fact?

Legally, the answer is actually "maybe". But it's a VERY different argument than if you're already in a contract, and I come along and say "I'll give you $100 to break your contract with Company X." It's also insanely difficult to prove pre-contract interference with liability attached, even when you have piles of examples where such activity may have occurred.

Based on how, when and for what stated reasons this lawsuit was filed, it's really difficult to believe that this is anything other than an ill-advised (from a PR standpoint) attempt to crush an un-incorporated startup on un-tested legal grounds.
IMHO Darlox is correct in his exegesis. Also, the kid deserves our support to fight UA. I happily donated $20!
Happy New Year Flyers!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 787fan
if UA really cared about their reputation they would've just done a C&D letter and hope the kid vanishes on his own.
They did. He claimed he was complying but didn't. It is detailed in the complaint document.

And, as someone who has also received a C&D letter from UA and had some conversations with their in-house legal counsel, I'm not at all surprised that the company chose to move forward on this.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
They are conspiring with their customers to violate a contract. That's civil fraud. Conspiracy to commit civil fraud is a criminal act. Skiplagged doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Yes.

Originally Posted by denuaflier
I agree w you. Just because someone writes up a one sided agreement does not mean it is enforceable.
It's not one sided. You agree to certain things. The airline agrees to certain things.

Originally Posted by mduell
It's not like they're going to detain you in the airplane or airport so you fly on to XXX. But they may send you a bill, and demand you pay that bill before they'll do business with you again.
And if they do, they will collect.

If they think you are doing it regularly, or if they are just in a bad mood, they can cancel your FF membership and strip you off all your accumulated miles or points.

Come on, guys. This is not rocket science. There are rules. Quit trying to figure out a way to get around the rules. Play the game straight and it will almost always turn out better for everyone in the long run.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Counsellor
That's called "throw-away" ticketing. It's harder to detect, particularly if you don't request a refund on the unused return ticket. Rumor has it that such is seldom pursued unless repeatedly abused, since the throw-away ticket is usually a cheap restricted (non-changeable, non-refundable) one, and non-use of the return on the scheduled date could easily be explained by a change in circumstances that caused a change in plans.

Edited to add: The situation in Post #109 is called "nested ticketing". That's useful if you fly from home (AAA) to a work location (BBB) and return to AAA for weekends, then back to BBB the next Monday. The airlines would like you to pay businessman price for the Monday out, Friday back ticket but what you're doing is to use the first AAA - BBB flight as a positioning flight, then buy cheap weekend round-trip tickets back to AAA, and use the final BBB-AAA ticket when your work at BBB is done.

The poster's problem arose because he used the same carrier for the nested round trips as for the positioning round trip; it can be avoided by using different carriers for the positioning AAA-BBB-AAA trip and the nested weekend BBB-AAA-BBB trips.
I used to nest tickets. Never called on it but truth is, work flew me AAA-BBB and then BBB-AAA 21 days apart. I flew home same carrier to visit home in the middle weekend of the trip to be with family. If called on it, I'd say that my weekend trip home was not a company paid expense but my dime. It was the truth.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

It's not one sided. You agree to certain things. The airline agrees to certain things.

Come on, guys. This is not rocket science. There are rules. Quit trying to figure out a way to get around the rules. Play the game straight and it will almost always turn out better for everyone in the long run.
It is one sided. There is no negotiation. Just because there is a contract does not mean it is enforceable.

Whose rules? Same people who promise you something and take it away?

Why don't you ask UA to play the game straight? They don't hold up to their end of the bargain on a daily basis. FT is full of threads that outlines horror stories of UA not keeping their end of the bargain.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just can't imagine anyone saying, in court, with a straight face:

"Your honor, the defendant refused to take a portion of an itinerary they paid us for. As such, according to the contract we wrote that he never saw containing a requirement your average person doesn't understand, we are due an additional fare of an amount we computed after the fact using a method entirely of our choosing."
That is hardly the issue before the court in this case.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 787fan
if UA really cared about their reputation they would've just done a C&D letter and hope the kid vanishes on his own. The argument of load balancing is a poor one, but encouraging someone to violate CoC is a strong one.

UA has a strong case here. If HCT doesn't hold up in court, travel agents would've challenged all those debit memos ages ago.
The entire case for UA is weak - the only strong case is between Orbitz and Skiplagged because Skiplagged was using the Orbitz engine to book itineraries where Orbitz could receive a debit memo. Actually, UA has no case at all, and given the negative publicity aimed in its direction by virtually every global news outlet, not to mention the free training the media has given the traveling public on how-to book hidden city tickets, is UA going to sue every media outlet too? The argument is equivalent.

HCT is a contract violation - but one that exists between passenger and airline, or booking agent and airline - not a website providing free information and the airline where those tickets may or may not end up being booked.

UA is just looking incredibly foolish and petty here and now the real issue with Orbitz is being overlooked.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:32 pm

1. UA might very well win in courts if it ever gets to that stage but they most certainly would lose in the court of public opinion on this case. The longer it goes, the worse the PR issue for UA.

2. Cases like this aren't brought about because UA fears this one small site but because of fears that this might become a widespread practice in the future world of Apps. They just want to make an example of this company to discourage others.

3. Seems like there are too many corporate lawyers and not enough consumer advocates on this forum which influences their opinion on legal matters (not to be confused with explanation of the law).

4. Actions like this are futile for the long term because technology evolution is forcing more transparency and access and these legacy industries can fight it only for a short period when their business practice itself seems flawed to an average consumer of their product (not to be confused with making sense to all the people who are vested in the business model of airlines).
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
They are conspiring with their customers to violate a contract. That's civil fraud. Conspiracy to commit civil fraud is a criminal act. Skiplagged doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Yes.

And if they do, they will collect.

If they think you are doing it regularly, or if they are just in a bad mood, they can cancel your FF membership and strip you off all your accumulated miles or points.

remember that just because the airline says it's illegal to not fly hub-bbb it doesn't automatically means it is.....
I don't use hidden city but I did in the past and already booked in the future some RT with the intention of only flying one way, and I couldn't care less what the airline thinks of it

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2014 at 8:07 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not each other

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.