Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How can 3rd parties offer such high mileage rewards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I used to spend $10K to get 1K status and earn about 200,000 miles. Under the new RDM earning system, I'll get about half that. So I'm earning about 10 miles per dollar (after factoring in fees not counting).

However, I'm getting all these offers which offer far better value.

I just got an offer that if I buy flowers from FTD for $100 I'll get 3200 miles. That's 32 miles per dollar and I get some flowers. WTH? So I have two questions:

1) How can a 3rd party value miles at 3 times the value UA does?
2) I'm getting tons of these offers, so not only people earn less RDMs, the market is getting flooded with UA miles.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 11, 2014 at 8:23 pm Reason: Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive - http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#threadtitles
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by inpd
How can a 3rd party value miles at 3 times the value UA does?
Because they have such huge margins? FTD is the best way to spend 3x-4x on flowers.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I just got an offer that if I buy flowers from FTD for $100 I'll get 3200 miles. That's 32 miles per dollar and I get some flowers. WTH? So I have two questions:
FTD is charging you $100 for $10 worth of flowers, $10 of delivery and they pay United $32 for miles.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by entropy
FTD is charging you $100 for $10 worth of flowers, $10 of delivery and they pay United $32 for miles.
Its not that bad. I checked a dozen mixed roses is $29 at FTD and locally (at least here in CA) they are $15-$20.

But I've also got all sorts of ads for cruises, dining etc. which are all at 20-30 miles per dollar.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... But I've also got all sorts of ads for cruises, dining etc. which are all at 20-30 miles per dollar.
Suspect a key motivator for the 3rd parties is to get access to UA email lists which seems a benifit for making these deals with UA. You buy enough miles from UA and get access to the mailing lists. A win-win for the 3rd party and UA.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Suspect a key motivator for the 3rd parties is to get access to UA email lists which seems a benifit for making these deals with UA. You buy enough miles from UA and get access to the mailing lists. A win-win for the 3rd party and UA.
+1 That makes sense. Companies will pay good money for good mailing list. Also once you buy something form them, you have a business arrangement with them and hence your do not call registrar listing is not an issue. So I buy the $30 roses from FTD for the 1000 miles, but FTD now have my details and are allowed to cold call me.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Its not that bad. I checked a dozen mixed roses is $29 at FTD and locally (at least here in CA) they are $15-$20.

But I've also got all sorts of ads for cruises, dining etc. which are all at 20-30 miles per dollar.
And wholesale on those dozen roses about 3-4 usd. It's all in the margins.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... Also once you buy something form them, you have a business arrangement with them and hence your do not call registrar listing is not an issue. ...
No such limitation (in USA) for emails, although you should offer a removal link.

However, when most organizations sell access to their e-mail lists, they don't actual provide the emails address for future use. It is usually a one time use agreement.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too wonder about this. If UA makes miles so much harder to earn for its own customers, it will probably ask 3rd parties for more money for the miles.

At the end, it is win-win for UA - fewer miles to the customers and making more money from 3rd party. For most of us who earn fewer miles, it is lose-lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.