Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

50K miles (& higher) bonus offers for MileagePlus Explorer card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Pretty new here and learning the ropes about where to find which types of posts. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Received a targeted offer for 50K miles upon $2K spent in 3 months. Current public offer appears to be 30K for the same spend.

Would like to ask the veterans here: should I take the offer or, in your experience, have you seen higher offers from United and thus I should hold out? I've reviewed the history of Uniter MileagePlus public offers and haven't seen any this high in a while so given that it's targeted (ends Nov 30), I thought I should do my homework--part of which is asking the community for its opinion.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sac86738
Hi,

Pretty new here and learning the ropes about where to find which types of posts. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Received a targeted offer for 50K miles upon $2K spent in 3 months. Current public offer appears to be 30K for the same spend.

Would like to ask the veterans here: should I take the offer or, in your experience, have you seen higher offers from United and thus I should hold out? I've reviewed the history of Uniter MileagePlus public offers and haven't seen any this high in a while so given that it's targeted (ends Nov 30), I thought I should do my homework--part of which is asking the community for its opinion.

Thanks,

Mike

Take it. This is typically the highest offer (have only heard about a 60K offer, never seen it). The only person who can determine if you need the miles and the card is you - based on your need for miles to travel, need for a card.

But overall, 50K miles is a good deal and the other added benefits of group-2 boarding (If ticket paid by Explorer card), free bag (If ticket paid by Explorer card), Club passes each year, Eligibility for Complimentary upgrades on award tickets in USA (If ticket paid by Explorer card)
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Take it. This is typically the highest offer (have only heard about a 60K offer, never seen it). The only person who can determine if you need the miles and the card is you - based on your need for miles to travel, need for a card.

But overall, 50K miles is a good deal and the other added benefits of group-2 boarding (If ticket paid by Explorer card), free bag (If ticket paid by Explorer card), Club passes each year, Eligibility for Complimentary upgrades on award tickets in USA (If ticket paid by Explorer card)
+1. As far as sign up bonuses go, won't get much better than this.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
It's the normal ask-and-you-shall-receive offer for the card, so I wouldn't worry about it going away. Whether it's worth it (which it often is) is a separate question from the faux-urgency created by the targeted offer. Take your time and make the decision based on your needs rather than the "going out of business sale" effect.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
50K targeted offer for MileagePlus Explorer card--take or pass?

I already have 3 chase ual cards. Is there anyway I can get such an offer? I actually need them more than they need me - I use the credit line, I pay them in full, and use the miles. So threatening to cancel the card isn't something I actually want to do...
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
I already have 3 chase ual cards. Is there anyway I can get such an offer? I actually need them more than they need me - I use the credit line, I pay them in full, and use the miles. So threatening to cancel the card isn't something I actually want to do...
You should be able to request an increase in your credit line
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:45 pm

Pass. Best offer is 50k + $50. Try booking a flight while logged in.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synk
Pass. Best offer is 50k + $50. Try booking a flight while logged in.
Interesting. Did that, but saw an offer for 30K mi + $50 statement credit. Not quite the 50K mi offer with $0 statement credit in my hand. In this case I think the 50k mi offer exceeds the value of the 30K + $50 offer.

Signed in with my wife's MileagePlus account and same offer for her, too. I think we're too low on United's totem pole ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion! I think we'll take the 50K offer, though I'm open to trying other suggestions to get the $50 bonus!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sac86738
Interesting. Did that, but saw an offer for 30K mi + $50 statement credit. Not quite the 50K mi offer with $0 statement credit in my hand. In this case I think the 50k mi offer exceeds the value of the 30K + $50 offer.

Signed in with my wife's MileagePlus account and same offer for her, too. I think we're too low on United's totem pole ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion! I think we'll take the 50K offer, though I'm open to trying other suggestions to get the $50 bonus!
Once you get approved, send CHase a secure message and ask them to match the offer (Say you were offered it in a Chase Branch). They are very good about matching. Worse comes, you dont get a whopping $50 credit! I think you will survive!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:43 pm

I tested it right before posting yesterday and was able to get the 50k + $50 on an account with no status. Did you try clearing cookies beforehand?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synk
I tested it right before posting yesterday and was able to get the 50k + $50 on an account with no status. Did you try clearing cookies beforehand?
Yeah, tried just now using Chrome's incognito mode. Same offer of 30K mi + $50. Same offer whether I'm logged in or not and I search for a flight.

What intrigues me more is the following URL: https://www.theexplorercard.com/30kAFW

The meaning of the 30kAFW is pretty obvious, so I poked around with some other URLs. 50kAFW redirects you back to 30kAFW while other URLs just give a page-not-found error. Kinda fun to go spelunking and see what you find. Never know.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by gaobest
Wait - you have three cards, you need them more than they need you, and you're expecting a bunch of bonus miles?

How about having spouse sign up?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:06 am

I totally took the 50,000. I just charged my expenses to that card, and it was a quick 50,000 miles. I thought it was great.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got an offer for the Chase Ink card @ 70K points, 5K spend in 3 months.
That could turn into 70K miles - in case you can snag it.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cesco.g
I got an offer for the Chase Ink card @ 70K points, 5K spend in 3 months.
That could turn into 70K miles - in case you can snag it.
I've got the ink (with a 60K point offer) and use it monthly for cell phone and internet expenses. Also love getting 5 pts/$ on all my Amazon purchases. Love this card.

In re my original post, went ahead and signed up for the 50K miles offer. Pleasantly surprised to read the details further and find out that I get an extra 5K miles for adding my wife as an authorized user (she must make at least one purchase... shouldn't be too hard )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.