Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only water, EWR-BOS?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I flew RT same day in September EWR BOS EWR. Outbound was a United crew, and they only served water. Return was a Continental crew, and they served a full 737-8 a full beverage service and managed to complete it with no problem.

EWR BUF I have been flying everything Thanksgiving and Christmas since 1986, and only once on United did they only offer water, I've always seen it as a full service. JetBlue can't manage it however, for whatever reason, BUF JFK. And I've asked for something else and they wont' budge. Ridiculous.

This week I flew IAH AUS, haven't flown that before. It was 29 minutes, nothing was served in Y.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I recently flew UX RNO-SFO, RJ 192 miles, 1hr17min. Invariably is announced "due to the short duration of this flight, there will be no beverage service". Not even water is served. A few weeks ago my morning flight was held for nearly an hour in the air over Point Reyes, because the Vice-President was departing SFO. Did this prompt an offer of coffee or OJ? Unfortunately not. I then made my way to Asia. Flying PG BKK-USM, a 1 hour flight, again in coach, a full hot meal service with choice of beverage. Finally I get my morning coffee!
RNO-SFO is only 191 miles so I doubt it is anywhere near 1:17 of useable service time for the crew.

I am not condoning lazy F/As who choose not to do a service on a flight that the airline has designated as a full beverage service, and is therefore catered accordingly. But if the company has determined at the corporate level that a flight is too short for a beverage service, it may not even have been catered for coffee and OJ.

Also I do not think it is fair to use 20/20 hindsight to determine that a particular holding delay would have permitted enough time for a service that otherwise would not have happened. Holding is usually unplanned and unpredictable with no way to know how long it will last. Often when an aircraft goes into holding it starts after initial descent has begun (and so any service should have been completed) and when cleared goes right into final approach. Plus, anyone who has flown enough - and paid attention - has probably had experiences where actual holding times turn out to be much shorter than what was originally planned (based on the initial "EFC" or Expect Further Clearance time given by ATC), which can tend to be a worst-case scenario.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Airlines should charge a 50 USD babysitter tax for those who can't hydrate them selves for a 35 minute flight. This belongs in the Least substantial...thread...
You are focusing on the wrong thing. It is about expectations. Serve, don't serve but be consistent and clearly set expectations around the services provided with the ticket. Then deliver. Few other airlines are so challenged with the inability of consistency.

It may not be a big deal to you, but that doesn't mean the line of what matters should be drawn just behind where you stand.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
You are focusing on the wrong thing. It is about expectations. Serve, don't serve but be consistent and clearly set expectations around the services provided with the ticket. Then deliver. Few other airlines are so challenged with the inability of consistency.

It may not be a big deal to you, but that doesn't mean the line of what matters should be drawn just behind where you stand.
I don't for a minute believe that the posters of threads like this are as fragile as they claim - I think its a simple fact that forums beget whining. Maybe thats it...all the water was turned to whining....

I get from EWR to BOS in under an hour about 10,000x safer than driving and at lower cost...but I don't get a 50 cent water - that I can also get at a zillion places in EWR before take off or in BOS on landing.... Seriously?

I just as soon they keep the water in the galley, lest my 3 carryon sarcophagi get wet.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I don't for a minute believe that the posters of threads like this are as fragile as they claim - I think its a simple fact that forums beget whining. Maybe thats it...all the water was turned to whining....

I get from EWR to BOS in under an hour about 10,000x safer than driving and at lower cost...but I don't get a 50 cent water - that I can also get at a zillion places in EWR before take off or in BOS on landing.... Seriously?

I just as soon they keep the water in the galley, lest my 3 carryon sarcophagi get wet.
I'm glad you have a choice to turn down beverage service, lest it ruin your sarcophagi. Seriously.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seanp7
Echo the sentiments if a poster up thread - Asian airlines can do it rapidly / efficiently. RGN-BKK springs to mind - full meal and drink service. Not UA...
You don't even need to go as far as Asia...Southwest can and does it a beverage service on the very short RDU-BWI for a full 737-700. Yet United can't do one on a CRJ-700 from RDU-IAD
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
You don't even need to go as far as Asia...Southwest can and does it a beverage service on the very short RDU-BWI for a full 737-700. Yet United can't do one on a CRJ-700 from RDU-IAD
If the CRJ had a different galley set up it'd be possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.