FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Only water, EWR-BOS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1624337-only-water-ewr-bos.html)

lipoff Oct 28, 2014 11:37 pm

Only water, EWR-BOS?

I was on UA 994, EWR-BOS tonight in Y, and I was very surprised that the only service during the flight consisted of an FA walking up and down the aisle twice with a tray of cups filled with water. I realize that it's only a 50-minute flight, but if memory serves me there's usually a soft-drink service and a bag of peanuts NYC-BOS. Certainly on B6, but I thought on UA as well. If it's really just water, remind me never to book a connection through EWR if I can help it. I was really looking forward to a Diet Coke --- I would have just brought one on if I knew I was only getting water! (As far as I can tell on United.com it indicates for this flight, "Economy: Beverage Service", which implies more than just water to me, anyway).

Maybe this also seemed worse because of the extreme contrast, since I had just flown 15 hours on NH, PVG-NRT, and NRT-JFK.

aacharya Oct 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Not the norm.

bdlman Oct 28, 2014 11:57 pm

I have seen the same thing on EWR-BTV and EWR-YUL morning flight the were only offering water and coffee recently all pre-poured in those little cups. Did you actually ask though? I didn't ask. They might just be doing this to save time or they might only load water?

Its 200 miles......the goal is to make sure everyone gets a cup who wants one on such a short flight i guess. I bet you they would have given you one if they had one on board, if its loaded. I havn't flown ewr-bos in forever i avoid those short routes like the plague, im Amtrak all the way anything between DC and Boston! Way too many delays in the air

100% Green Oct 29, 2014 12:04 am

Recently saw the same thing (operate by UA Express) tray of water, tray of OJ/Water and tray of coke.

Another flight, same routing (operated by GoJet on behalf of United), offered the full beverage cart.

anc-ord772 Oct 29, 2014 12:30 am

DL offers full cart service.

Often1 Oct 29, 2014 12:55 am

Usually full cart on this route. But, all it takes is a little turbulence or a weird routing and there can be almost no airtime useable for service.

That said, I've never seen a FA deny someone what they ask for except, on occasion, coffee when there's turbulence.

kettle1 Oct 29, 2014 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 23754456)
Usually full cart on this route. But, all it takes is a little turbulence or a weird routing and there can be almost no airtime useable for service.

That said, I've never seen a FA deny someone what they ask for except, on occasion, coffee when there's turbulence.

The question is was there turbulence? Sounds more like lazy FA's.

mgcsinc Oct 29, 2014 1:11 am

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 (Post 23754403)
DL offers full cart service.

As does UA.

sannmann Oct 29, 2014 4:27 am

Only water, EWR-BOS?

I've experienced water-only service on EWR-DCA.

songzm Oct 29, 2014 6:12 am

Last month I flew BOS-EWR in Y cabin there are only water and OJ:td: despite we had a very smooth flight!

aindfan Oct 29, 2014 6:48 am

My limited experience (~6 segments per year) on this route is that it varies between water only and full cart service in Y. Surprisingly, even though BOS-EWR is a longer flight (southbound route is generally BOS-BDL-SWF-EWR at around 50 minutes, instead of the northbound EWR-HVN-PVD-BOS at around 40 minutes), I've seen more water-only service on the southbound flight than the northbound flight.

In F, I've had the pre-departure beverage service and another drink service almost immediately after the double-chime on departure. Inflight service comes with a bag of nuts or biscoff cookies.

lipoff Oct 29, 2014 6:52 am

I asked for a Diet Coke and was told "it's only a 40 minute flight, no time to bring out the cart". There was no turbulence and the captain left the seatbelt sign off for at least 25 minutes.

I also prefer to stay on the ground between NYC and BOS, but yesterday's flight was part of a connection back to BOS from PVG!

TPJ Oct 29, 2014 6:56 am

Originally Posted by sannmann (Post 23754867)
I've experienced water-only service on EWR-DCA.

The same on LAS-LAX some time ago. The following week I flew from VIE (Austria) to KRK (Southern Poland) on an OS flight - which is even shorter than LAS-LAX - they did snack service (complimentary) plus full drink service (including complimentary wine/beer). Just an indication how low level US Airline industry reached...

avi8tir Oct 29, 2014 7:40 am

Whats crazy is when you fly airlines in Europe and Asia (especially asia) that do a full meal service in Y on 45 minute flights. It may be a simple sandwich or something of that sorts, but they serve the entire cabin like clockwork.

EnvoyBoy Oct 29, 2014 7:41 am

Fly on AC YOW-YYZ this morning.

38 minute flight on a 319.

12 of us in F with one FA got the drink of our choice served on a tray with a continental breakfast (no choices). There was one round of refills.

2 FAs in Y and they got a full cart service with some sort of packaged cookie.

38 minutes in the air! 1hr, 8 mins blocked gate to gate.