Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New job w/ 70% travel weekly:Free lounge access anytime? UA challenge? best tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New job w/ 70% travel weekly:Free lounge access anytime? UA challenge? best tips?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tblack15
There's a *A carrier out there that'll match anyone to Gold for a 2 year term with no history. Well documented, but sometimes difficult to hear back, or even GET your credentials.
I have 19,000 miles on Korean air...just shy of 20k enough for elite status with morning calm....unfortunately they raised the requirement to 30k!

Even then, the membership wouldn't allow lounge access.

It's skyteam to incompatible with UA too.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Whose card is it?

Lounge access with status on UA/AA is international-only. Otherwise, the lounges would be insanely full or they'd have to build even more. It's just the model that was settled on.
Don't know but I'm told they picked the best suited card.
If a company purchases the ticket with an elite card with lounge membership access, then I add my frequent flyer miles account to the ticket, can I -partake in the perks as a non-card holder or do I qualify as a guest?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 28, 2014 at 3:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Wow, there's a lot here. A few thoughts from another domestic traveler (typically 85-95 segments per year) to get you started. I'm assuming UA Is your choice.

1. For domestic travel, you have to buy a membership. For me, it's been worth it over the last few years, but others will say not worth the money. For international, you need to have gold with UA (or buy the membership) which is Star Alliance Gold and gets you lounge access. There is also a club access credit card.

2. Check out the Star Alliance website for a full list of partners

3. Sometimes. Call UA, tell them you're starting to travel a lot, and ask for a status challenge. IMO, your goal should be to get to Gold status ASAP.

4. Too much to list here, suggest you check out the benefits on the UA website.

5. "Regularly" won't happen for most people. Most people report little success with free upgrades until they get to 1K status (100,000 qualifying miles). And then it depends on your routes and other factors.

6. To some extent this is true when you compare to 5-10 years ago. But when you travel as often as you will, lots of stuff goes wrong. Having status makes you much less miserable than those without status, and I think you'll appreciate it most then.
Any experience with the American express platinum card?

There is a deal for no annual fee for your first year(450) and it gains you access to all Aispace, Centurion, and Delta sky lounges.

Seems like the best bang for your buck and I can test out all the airport lounges to see if it's worth while racking up tons of points with UA.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ryuker16
If a company purchases the ticket with an elite card with lounge membership access, then I add my frequent flyer miles account to the ticket, can I -partake in the perks as a non-card holder or do I qualify as a guest?
No-the UA Club membership is a benefit of the card for the cardholder only-the cardholder will have a separate card for the UA club membership
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What do you mean by "picked"? Are they giving you the card, or does it belong to someone else? If it's not your card, it's basically useless for you. What card is used for purchasing a ticket doesn't matter for lounge access. There's no such thing as an "elite" credit card, and credit cards do not convey elite status.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
There are other backdoor ways to get lounge access, but they are not worth it. Either pay the fee or pay for the Club Card. If it were me I'd get the Club card since the annual fee is about the same as the membership, plus if you use it you gather up more MP miles. Plus I'm sure there is some kind of sign up bonus.

It will also get you a free bag and group 2 boarding prior to you getting your elite status.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

There is a deal for no annual fee for your first year(450) and it gains you access to all Aispace, Centurion, and Delta sky lounges.

Seems like the best bang for your buck and I can test out all the airport lounges to see if it's worth while racking up tons of points with UA.
If you're flying primarily United, it's usually not a good idea to use AMEX for your primary lounge access. AMEX access lounges are often in separate terminals, which may or may not be accessible with your boarding pass and possibly not connected airside with your UA gate.

There's no need to make this difficult. Just pick the domestic airline you are primarily likely to use and get lounge access for that airline. If you fly on KE a bit, Delta (and therefore the AMEX idea) would be your best bet.

If your company dictates who you fly with and that airline is United, just go with that and make your life easier by getting access to the United Club if you find yourself traveling a lot domestically on United.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 28, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you're flying primarily United, it's usually not a good idea to use AMEX for your primary lounge access. AMEX access lounges are often in separate terminals, which may or may not be accessible with your boarding pass and possibly not connected airside with your UA gate.

There's no need to make this difficult. Just pick the domestic airline you are primarily likely to use and get lounge access for that airline.
I agree with this.

However, I remember the AMEX plat card had a $200 travel credit, not sure if it still does. But if you purchase the UA club membership with the AMEX, you can use the credit for it. That's probably the cheapest way to straight up membership.

In reality, you're playing with about $100 difference though. If the OP is going to be traveling a lot of domestic segments, the club membership may be worth a lot more than that...or a lot less. There are an awful lot of airports I go to in my ~90 segments where there is no club. But it's been worth it for me when I'm stuck at ORD (my home) because of weather or mechanical delays. A quiet, comfortable area with wifi and free beer has helped me get a lot of work done over the last few years!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

just note that DL lounge access only when flying DL. If your regular airports have Centurion, AirSpace or PP lounges then Amex Plat is great.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
I have 19,000 miles on Korean air...just shy of 20k enough for elite status with morning calm....unfortunately they raised the requirement to 30k!

Even then, the membership wouldn't allow lounge access.

It's skyteam to incompatible with UA too.

If it's the MP Club card only the primary card holder has lounge access (but you can add additional memberships for additional smaller fee I think). If it's amex platinum I think all card holders get lounge access.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note

You only get delta access if you're flying delta.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by Tblack15
There's a *A carrier out there that'll match anyone to Gold for a 2 year term with no history. Well documented, but sometimes difficult to hear back, or even GET your credentials.
Which one is that?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xmlsoa
Which one is that?
The one with the really great lounge at their primary hub
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are really desperate for "free" lounge access:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...up-thread.html
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
So I am in a similar situation as you (except I have a little more control over what airline I am on). 120+ segments annually and nearly every single one domestic.

#1) What ever airline you primarily fly, get a club membership. Just pony up and pay it. In the event of irrops (weather, mechanical, whatever) the club can make the difference between getting home as there are agents inside who can work magic provided you treat them with reasonable respect in the process. Without club access you get to stand in the customer service line/play phone call roulette. With the exception of Delta, all the domestic lounges are a paid membership. Delta is paid as well but they give Diamonds a gratis membership, however since you will have to qualify on segments 140 is a large number to hit (probably damn near impossible if you are located at a delta hub). Even at that it would take you the most of the year to make the Delta requirement so buying one the first year would be a good idea anyway. Provided your credit is sufficient get the Chase United Club card - its a full $100 less than the initial membership fee and you will get some number of bonus miles, the potential to waive the spend requirement (probably not going to be an issue though), and the whole group 2 boarding / priority access crap that everyone and their brother on UA will have. Pretty much the club card gets you most the perks of Status through Gold (minus same day change privileges, and upgrades but at gold upgrades are few).

2.) Domestically forget about other carriers lounges, Something like 95% of my club usage is at the hub during connections. As such the only lounges that are really only ever going to be anywhere near where you need to be are the lounges for your own airline. You don't want to spend 35 minutes changing terminals, leaving security, going back through security just to use some lounge for a different airline even if you do happen to have access to it. When USAir was still friends with UA I occasionally used their lounge in Hartford because it happened to be in the same terminal as where the UA flights departed but that was the rare exception.

3.) Nope. You got to fly them. My first year In my current position started in june. The following june I attempted to get them to bump my status a level as I had flown 136 segments in under 12 months but was still a gold (Stupid reset in January hurts) and it was firmly a no go.
If you are feeling frisky you can try paying for the challenge on AA I believe it is, then once you have the status displayed in your account try to talk UA into status matching. I suspect however that they will want to see proof of activity on that airline prior to matching the status in order to prevent just this type of shenanigans

4.) Check the website, but beyond the boarding stuff, free bags, and chance at upgrades, notable benefits are
a) Same Day Change fee waived (within 24 hours of a flight you can switch to an earlier or later flight and there is no fee, its a very handy perk and if you understand it you can do some pretty nice things with it that other wise would cost $$$). Also status affects your position on standby lists, so if and when things happen you can go standby and make the flight before people with lower/no status regardless of if they were on the list before you.
b) No additional fees for reward tickets and redeposit. You can get reward tickets last minute paying nothing but the security fees. Also as your status increases you allegedly get better award availability.
c.) When you make Platinum UA will pay for Global Entry for you, so if you can wait that long you will save yourself $100 and get Precheck more often. Other wise you can opt into precheck but I have no idea what the status is that triggers them actually putting you on the list, and even at that you wont get it all the time, and your mileage may vary.

5.)If you fly on non-peak days to locations with lower elite numbers you will occasionally make an upgrade as a gold. As a platinum that % will go up substantially as a platinum, but you will still struggle on Monday/Friday and flying to elite dense places like SFO (christ I think even GS dont get upgrades in and out of SFO!) As a 1K it obviously gets better yet, but its still not 100% by any means.

6.)Who gets peanuts??? You get 1 cup of soft drink and a napkin.

If you have to travel regularly its definitely worth it... though from a UA perspective it really isnt that hot until you make Platinum, mostly because you get out of boarding group 1 and have at least a shot at upgrades. Your first year will suck... but I am fairly certain you will survive it.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Read the above wall of text and take it to heart!

My few thoughts as somebody who used to travel weekly for work on United and was Gold at the time:

-Don't expect free upgrades. I think I got upgraded 2-3 times in the span of 5 months of weekly flying, and they were all when I was flying on a Sunday morning or a holiday. If you're flying to/from/between United hubs the upgrade list is stupidly long. When I'd fly between ORD and IAH the upgrade list would often be 50-80 people long.

-Unless they have a UA Club Visa in your name (or you buy one yourself) there is no other US credit card that will get you free access to United Clubs. If you're traveling that often, I'd probably suck it up and get a UA Club visa. I think right now you get a $100 statement credit after approval, which makes the cost <$300. You can drink back that much at the bar with the frat house liquor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.