Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New job w/ 70% travel weekly:Free lounge access anytime? UA challenge? best tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New job w/ 70% travel weekly:Free lounge access anytime? UA challenge? best tips?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by dimramon
I don't know your company (nor do I need to know), but I would be very careful with the "money saving perks are a non issue".

Also, I can't recall any projects I've been on where I had time for sight-seeing.

100% agree with this. If one didn't know the inner workings of my consulting firm, "money saving perks are a non issue" might seem to apply.

But for sure whether you are taking a train, taxi, or limo to the airport for instance (all of which would get approved without issue), these costs are absolutely considered and your expenses are certainly compared with your peers. Your total compensation can/will be effected.

If you have the opportunity to spend less of your company's money, take it. Now if it is going to cost you billable hours or limit productivity, then that's justifiable. But don't think that the bottle line dollars aren't important to someone, somewhere in an executive office.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by BTA
This is the best summary I've seen of the current status of United Clubs. Sad, but true.
But totally irrelevant to the OP who didn't fly in the Golden Age of Nostalgia. I'll take this decade over my first decade of flying, anytime.

The UC is vastly preferable over trying to work at a gate, and for IRROPS, the inside agents are a good perk to get you home.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I pay for the lounge for IRROPS handling. If I don't have work to get done, I'd prefer to sit at any airport bar. The drinks are cheaper and better and at least some of the company is usually cuter.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
UA 1k line takes care of me without doing nothing. Maybe lucky or easy rebookings but it has always got me rebooked with new BP on phone before I ever knew there was a problem. Of course I could see where the lounge desk could help with IRROPS but I would rather work with 1k line any day of the week for this. My experience.

Listen if you like the lounge then awesome. Personally, I think you are being duped into a water down product and I could never ever recommend this price/purchase to a colleague.

Could you imagine a hotel lounge serving cheese and crackers and chex mix as your meal. So many people in here say 'head over to this lounge', much better spread and chairs and drinks choices. It's an inferior product, period, and I do not accept that level of product with that price.

Can you sit there with a straight face and recommend the UA lounge purchase to a friend? I cannot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.