Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by entropy
10 pages...
seriously, who cares? its a couple of CR2's a day.
I care. Not that I give UA any business these days but I've often in the past flown JFK-IAD-NRT-xxx or JFK-SFO-NRT-xxx (v.v.) depending upon price, upgrade space etc. I could fly exLGA (or into LGA accordingly) but this further limits any utility as there's now little in hte way of backup plans when UA's IAD-NYC ops go pear shaped.

This route has been a savior and villain on so many occasions.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Right, as posted upthread, it existed back in the day to feed IAD longhaul flights from JFK area.

Anyone paying real money (like GS type spend) for transcon flights is going to value their time enough to not route IAD-sit around JFK for 2-3 hours-PS flight. They'll just take a non-stop from DC area to the West coast.
Are you saying that United should only be serving customers with "GS type spend"? United cannot survive with only OD traffic and business customers paying GS-level spend.

It takes a robust network (including connection traffic) to support all the routes and frequencies that those GS-spend-type folks like to spend money on.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Reading this thread, it appears I am supposed to be thankful United dropped this route.

Perhaps I should send in a request that they drop a few more?
^
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:19 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kkg
Second that. The elimination of JFK-IAD makes it impossible for me to experience the PS flights...
Technically (and unless they've changed the routing rules), you should be able to fly into LGA and catch the bus or a cab over to JFK (or v-v).

Pain in the butt, but I have done it several times when the nearest IAD-JFK flight was nearly sold out (and the later ones broke the 4 hour connection rule).

I think those of us who flew p.s. out of the WAS area via this flight were very few; it's more IMHO about the *A connections they're closing off.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
What UA should do is bring PS service to ex-IAD routes like SFO/LAX (and my personal preference to SEA). But I would imagine EWR would get the PS service before IAD.

-RM
And, more likely, neither will see it. The fares and yields on the premium cabin p.s. traffic justify the service. There is not similar demand at a similar price point ex-IAD or ex-EWR for that service.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Well, so much for getting on the PS birds for WAS-SFO/LAX. That used to be my itinerary -- IAD-JFK-SFO, just so that I could get on the PS JFK-SFO instead of doing IAD-SFO on a A319.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Just saw this. No good. Wonder what the numbers are for IAD feeds into PS?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Likely de minimis given IAD-SFO/LAX have 15-20 daily nonstop flights between them, plus a DCA-SFO.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Reading this thread, it appears I am supposed to be thankful United dropped this route.

Perhaps I should send in a request that they drop a few more?
Well said. Captured the sentiment perfectly.

Just ground the entire fleet and sell pizzas and codeshares.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Well said. Captured the sentiment perfectly.

Just ground the entire fleet and sell pizzas and codeshares.
Don't forget shilling for Chase credit cards.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by entropy
10 pages...
seriously, who cares? its a couple of CR2's a day.
Amen to that. Half the posters here appear upset that UA should run an operation from IAD to JFK just so they can upgrade to PS. Just that hour on a CR2 - is it really worth it?

Whatever UA's plan's are for JFK, we are losing the most inconsequential third. Who cares.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Friend of mine is pretty happy about the discontinuation of JFK...he had accidentally booked JFK instead of EWR (where he needs to go) in December and was now able to rebook onto the desired EWR-flights for free with a bump in booking-class to boot...

He might be one of the very few people actually liking this cut...:-)!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:29 am

I too wonder if there are plans increase PS flights out of EWR and IAD. Probably not, and even more far fetched but could be interesting - a single daily LGA flight to SFO and LAX in PS.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Basically zilch -- flyers on the more expensive tickets tend to value both time and simplicity in their travels, and will take the nonstops to the West Coast.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
What UA should do is bring PS service to ex-IAD routes like SFO/LAX (and my personal preference to SEA). But I would imagine EWR would get the PS service before IAD.

-RM
The p.s. product has a very narrow, specific niche, and almost certainly won't be expanding beyond those routes.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:52 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adambrau
Whatever UA's plan's are for JFK, we are losing the most inconsequential third. Who cares.
Those who were affected?

It is a shame to lose one of the options to get to NYC for o/d traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.