Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Old Sep 20, 14, 6:49 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,879
I had several itineraries hit with schedule changes last night.

They seemed to have totally dropped IAD flights to/from JFK. That eliminates JFK as option for most of the Eastern USA as there are no JFK flights from ORD either. Seems to be effective from late October.

So much for access to P.S. flights. Totally kills one of my itineraries. No way to get to JFK.

More network shrinkage....

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 20, 14 at 1:03 pm Reason: I believe this is worthy of it's own thread. Title added with effective date
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 7:17 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 60,611
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
I had several itineraries hit with schedule changes last night.

They seemed to have totally dropped IAD flights to/from JFK. That eliminates JFK as option for most of the Eastern USA as there are no JFK flights from ORD either. Seems to be effective from late October.

So much for access to P.S. flights. Totally kills one of my itineraries. No way to get to JFK.

More network shrinkage....
I wonder if this is a glitch, or a permanent problem? IAD-JFK still shows up on the PDF timetable, but I can't find it on the interactive timetable after 10/15.

I suppose one could still fly to LGA and take the bus over to JFK, but what a pain.
exerda is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 8:31 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LA
Posts: 7,150
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
They seemed to have totally dropped IAD flights to/from JFK. That eliminates JFK as option for most of the Eastern USA as there are no JFK flights from ORD either. Seems to be effective from late October.
via twitter

@united r u ending all IAD flights to/from JFK after 15OCT?

@anc-ord772 The last day is the 25th of October.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Sep 20, 14 at 8:36 am
anc-ord772 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 9:08 am
  #4  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,593
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
via twitter

@united r u ending all IAD flights to/from JFK after 15OCT?

@anc-ord772 The last day is the 25th of October.
That really sucks as IAD-JFK (and vv) was a nice "out" under irrops at either airport. So does that leave JFK with only PS flights as the only UA presence?
goalie is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 9:18 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,387
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
That really sucks as IAD-JFK (and vv) was a nice "out" under irrops at either airport. So does that leave JFK with only PS flights as the only UA presence?
Yes

Bigger question - what happens to those slots? Doubt they add PS frequency.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 10:36 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,879
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
That really sucks as IAD-JFK (and vv) was a nice "out" under irrops at either airport. So does that leave JFK with only PS flights as the only UA presence?
I took my first crack at a call with the (fake) 1K desk. The agent had no idea of the JFK eliminations and was at a loss for what to do with my itinerary.

I purposefully just asked for options to see what they would suggest. The only option they offered was a refund.

I told them I would do some searching for options, so they left it intact for now.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 12:55 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Posts: 1,117
UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Just saw a red alert on my reservation and the change was that JFK-IAD segment of JFK-IAD-AUA was dropped.
Called the 1K line the first rep was only willing to change to LGA-IAD-AUA and not EWR-AUA, and she also checked other days and so no other JFK-IAD flights.
Her thought was that UA pulled out of that market.
A quick check with KVS and other tools confirmed it.
dsauch is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 1:00 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 60,611
Originally Posted by dsauch View Post
Just saw a red alert on my reservation and the change was that JFK-IAD segment of JFK-IAD-AUA was dropped.
Called the 1K line the first rep was only willing to change to LGA-IAD-AUA and not EWR-AUA, and she also checked other days and so no other JFK-IAD flights.
Her thought was that UA pulled out of that market.
A quick check with KVS and other tools confirmed it.
HUACA re: getting EWR-AUA. They ought to allow that switch.
exerda is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 1:15 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,387
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
HUACA re: getting EWR-AUA. They ought to allow that switch.
Seriously. Why the never-ending pushback on the most obvious substitutions?
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 1:16 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Posts: 1,117
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
HUACA re: getting EWR-AUA. They ought to allow that switch.
yep, HUACA was in progress - second rep not only changed the outbound to direct, but also the return. And in a higher bucket as well. So I lost 2 hours on a beach (1 in, 1 out) but gained peace of mind avoiding 1h connections in IAD and PTY :-)
all in all, I'd say a win :-)^

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Seriously. Why the never-ending pushback on the most obvious substitutions?
her reasoning was: "if you wanted a non-stop you would have bought a non-stop". And - "we have other alternatives".
I was not going to argue with her - just glad she didnt put notes in my PNR and second rep was much nicer.
In the same vein - if I wanted to fly from LGA I would have bought LGA...

Last edited by dsauch; Sep 20, 14 at 1:19 pm Reason: combined reply
dsauch is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 1:22 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London; Bangkok; Las Vegas
Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 8,266
Yeah, enjoy EWR.

Not a win in my book.
Always Flyin is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 1:33 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 60,611
Originally Posted by dsauch View Post
her reasoning was: "if you wanted a non-stop you would have bought a non-stop".
IMHO this is worthy of a complaint. UA screws up your res by cancelling the JFK-IAD segment, and the agent blames you for booking a connection?
exerda is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 1:58 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,120
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Bigger question - what happens to those slots? Doubt they add PS frequency.
I wonder if these can be sold? Maybe it'd swap with Frontier: Frontier's 2 LGA slot pairs for the 4 UA JFK slot pairs. LGA seems to hold greater value so maye a good ratio is 2:4. This would guarantee also that Frontier doesn't swap out it's LGA slots for EWR slots and UA having to deal with a ULCC in EWR.

UA can also add ORD and IAD into ISP (Long Island) airport. Fares wouldn't be competitive and more like how UA sells high fares on MHT-ORD and PVD-ORD even though Southwest offers much lower fares to MDW, but UA keeps the flights for connections.
rtalk25 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 3:03 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 1,083
I always thought it was an odd route. JFK to nowhere else, no ORD, IAH, but IAD.
blug is offline  
Old Sep 20, 14, 3:16 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Posts: 2,756
Originally Posted by blug View Post
I always thought it was an odd route. JFK to nowhere else, no ORD, IAH, but IAD.
NYC is the financial capital of the United States, and home to the United Nations. WAS is the political capital of the United States. Makes sense from that perspective alone.

As much as I despise the CRJ200's this is a loss to the network. I hope it is replaced by some other service; either to some other UA hubs or international destinations.


SunLover
SunLover is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: