Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?
Print Wikipost

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Yesterday, I used a kiosk at LHR to retrieve my boarding pass for UA Flight 935 LHR-LAX. I am five year member of Global Entry and a UA MM flyer. Nevertheless, when the machine at the kiosk printed my boarding pass, I received the dreaded SSSS code on the pass. While I don't mind security measures, it doesn't make sense to me that I would get the code on my BP given that I already went through the scrutiny of being vetted as a trusted traveler. I probably make at least a dozen international arrivals in the US annually since I've held Global Entry status, without any such occurrences. At the United Club in Terminal 2, I asked staff there about and they said there was nothing they could do, indicating that UA does not control that and that is up to US security systems and that it might just have been random. If this is the case, it does not make sense and perhaps indicative of security systems that do not talk to each other. Upon arrival at LAX, I used the Global Entry kiosks and everything worked normally and was hassle free. Can any forum members comment on the apparent discord between having Global Entry status and being subjected to additional scrutiny by getting the dreaded SSSS BP?
It's been known to happen.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-ssss-ua.html

And while trying to locate that thread, I found you've had trouble before!

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Seems like TSA 'likes' your profile.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:44 am

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by fumje
It's been known to happen.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-ssss-ua.html

And while trying to locate that thread, I found you've had trouble before!

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Seems like TSA 'likes' your profile.
Yep, at that time I was a newly minted GE and thought that it might have been an initial "test". I've probably done about 100 entries to the US by air and land land since then without any issues.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Can any forum members comment on the apparent discord between having Global Entry status and being subjected to additional scrutiny by getting the dreaded SSSS BP?
Sorry about the hurt ego, but this appears right on the Global Entry homepage (cbp.gov). This was also made clear to me when I signed up myself:

"While Global Entrys goal is to speed travelers through the process, members may still be selected for further examination when entering the United States."
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I've seen deadheading pilots and flight attendants get the SSSS designation internationally -- they, too have GE, as well as the company background checks (and, y'know, flight deck access when working)

It sucks, but such is the world we live in.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
It happened to me a few weeks ago too LHR-SFO. I've been a member of GE since the very beginning and have subsequently renewed with a second interview.

That being said, I have an idea of why this might have happened, but won't post it here. (If I'm right, it's a positive thing.) I'll never know for sure, but there might actually be some method to the madness...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Because of this:

it might just have been random.
It does make sense.

Having Global Entry is no guarantee that you will not be subject to further security measures ever again. One would hope that these extra steps would be kept to a minimum, but to expect none is not realistic.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
If you're still a part of the Trusted Traveler program (GE, Pre, etc.) then you can probably rest assured you aren't on a no-fly list, or suspected of any nefarious connections.

SSSS is sometimes completely random. However, other aspects of your ticket or travel, anecdotally, result in a higher incidence of SSSS:

- One way tickets (especially if inbound to USA, with no checked bags and solo traveler)
- Tickets paid in cash
- Same-day bookings
- Travel to/from regions 'of concern' (or tickets issued by travel agents in such areas)
- Documentation discrepancies (incorrect #s , non-matching names)

There are others too, but speaking from experience, the only times I've been subject to SSSS have been in cases like those I outline, plus once that I am convinced was totally random.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:20 am

I believe this is related to this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...usa/494818001/

Over the last few months there seems to be a lot more SSSS and additional gate screening going on, including for trusted travelers.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What does pre-flight security in London have to do with CBP entry into the US?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
My father got SSSSd as a GE this summer from VIE-JFK. He'd been spending the past year in Kyrgyzstan though, so living in an "evil" Muslim country probably played a role. He hasn't been SSSSd since then thank goodness.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
Three weeks ago I was going home to LAX from EDI and got the SSSS. I have had Global Entry for about 6 years and never had any issues. The security people at EDI said it is totally random and not to worry about it. When I connected in ORD, I went through the GE kiosks and had no problem. I then went to the CSR and got a new boarding pass to get my Precheck status as the boarding pass that printed in Scotland did not have precheck on it. The new boarding pass had precheck and saved me much time when re-entering security.

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Did you happen to be seated in the first couple rows of first/biz or perhaps you were on a one-way ticket?

Had this happen CDG-IAD; the two of us who got extra screening at the gate appeared to be 2A and 3F on the 752. We were the first to board and yet somehow our seatmates were already on the plane

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
What does pre-flight security in London have to do with CBP entry into the US?
You mean, does a DHS Trusted Traveler program have an influence on security required by the DHS at international stations just like it does at US security checkpoints?

I suspect anyone that knows the answer to that can't tell us, but it doesn't seem at all unreasonable that there should be some relationship between the things.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jordyn
You mean, does a DHS Trusted Traveler program have an influence on security required by the DHS at international stations just like it does at US security checkpoints?

I suspect anyone that knows the answer to that can't tell us, but it doesn't seem at all unreasonable that there should be some relationship between the things.
I would imagine that they "talk" to each other, but I guess I don't come with the expectation that GE ensured 100% hiccup free travel.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
My father got SSSSd as a GE this summer from VIE-JFK. He'd been spending the past year in Kyrgyzstan though, so living in an "evil" Muslim country probably played a role. He hasn't been SSSSd since then thank goodness.
This. Backtrace your travel and see if you traveled through any 'suspicious' countries (for back of a better term).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.