Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Submit Verification Documentation

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address. Each document must be dated and include your name, as shown on your MileagePlus account*, and your residential address. The new address cannot be a business address and must match the address listed on the submitted documents. Please block out all non-essential personally identifiable information from the submitted documents.
Read our privacy policy

Accepted address verification documents
1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States Postal Service or an international postal service)
2. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
3. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign driver’s license)
4. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
5. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
6. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
7. Payroll statement provided by the member’s employer, dated within the past 90 days
8. U.S. military ID
9. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status

Please allow at least 10-14 days for a response and for your account to be updated. Any updates submitted while the request is being processed may be overridden and therefore may not be reflected in your account. We recommend that you do not submit any additional changes until you receive confirmation that your original request has been completed.

*If the member’s name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the member’s name and the name on the verification document.
How to verify this triggered the PQD waiver?
Go to https://mystatus.united.com to verify.

related thread
MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?
Print Wikipost

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:59 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I'm a bona fide resident of Thailand and have my MP account address registered here. Most of my UA travel has been between US points (I usually fly on LifeMiles award tickets between Thailand and the US) or between US and Mexico. I've not been aware of any audit by UA.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Define "a lot".

United cannot, neither can we. The rules set aside a specific list of evidence to prove foreign residence, but the rules do not set aside a specific % of flying to be made to/from that foreign country. Provide the evidence, you're in compliance and there isn't really anything United can do about it unless they change the rules to say "% of your travels must begin or terminate in an airport located in your country of residence" or some gibberish like that.

Frankly, United has no idea how often any of us "foreigners" travel to or from our foreign residence - sometimes I take UA, sometimes I take a *A partner, sometimes I take an unrelated airline, or use a mileage ticket on Air Canada from a family member's account. United doesn't have a clue how many times I am in my foreign residence, or for how long, unless I am flying them or crediting to my MP account.
If United suspects someone is playing games for purposes of avoiding the PQD requirements, they're going to request proof of said non-United flights to/from the alleged country of residence. The MP terms aren't binding as a lifetime PQD waiver for anyone who comes up with a foreign address one time. Let's be serious here.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 15, 2018 at 1:13 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by joe_miami
If United suspects someone is playing games for purposes of avoiding the PQD requirements, they're going to request proof of said non-United flights to/from the alleged country of residence. The MP terms aren't binding as a lifetime PQD waiver for anyone who comes up with a foreign address one time. Let's be serious here.
Indeed, let's be serious. How many individuals are you aware of that have had this happen? In the years since this policy was initiated surely there are at least anecdotal cases you could produce to back up your claims.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:22 am
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
Originally Posted by wanderingshi
The reason I asked was that 4) says a government ID counts as one of the two documents. I was wondering if a foreign ID without an address on it (not all documents have addresses, think US passport) would work. It sounds like it won't. Just to confirm, that's correct right?
I provided my voter identification card (with address) and for my second document my passport (with no address). Both Mexican documents.
Initially I had sent in my utility bill and my voter id card but they rejected the utility bill for some reason. So I sent over a copy of my passport and it was accepted.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by joe_miami
No they are not, and no they haven't - the number of people potentially "gaming" the system doesn't add up to anywhere near the cost it would take to track them down, nor is there any logical way to prove anything. United has bigger fish to fry than this, which is generally screwing all customers equally worldwide, although they could end up burning everyone and award PQD on partner flights and do away with the PQD exemption altogether.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's try to get back on topic -- the issue how to go about doing a address change.

Other than raising the possibility UA can take preemptive action (which has adequately been done), of which there have been no reported cases, there seems to be little value in debating this hypothetical further. And it is clouding the more timely discussion of how to apply for this PQD exemption.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by fumje
Was your address change foreign to foreign? If so that is an unexpected and impressive level of coordination for UA.
Yup. Granted it was APO to APO so.... Maybe that made a difference.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
If UA should do this is a different issue, but there has not been a single report on FT of an audit after UA has accepted a change of address. While FT is a small universe of UA flyers, one would have thought there would at least one report if UA was doing any of this (at this time) -- as it is clear there are numerous FTers in this situation. So would assess the risk of an audit as low.
So...let's say audit risk is low. (And even if audited, you don't really miss out on much, since you just lose your future PQD waiver.)

My original question had a few other wonderings:
- would UA ever require you to reverify your address after some period of time?
> answer seems to be no, barring returned mail

- would UA get returned / undelivered mail and then change your address back to US? (arguably you could also have moved from one international address to another and UA in this case would also get returned mail)
This one seems only partially answered. What if they just get a mail undeliverable and don't get forwarded to a new address in a new foreign locale? Will they automatically shift you back to your previous US address? To your previous foreign address?

- upsides to this are no PQD requirement. Downsides (beyond the ones mentioned in the other thread about living internationally) would be not getting your UA mail, but the only useful things that come in the mail for me are my annual 1K kit ... and even that doesn't have that much useful stuff in it
Does anyone see any other downsides besides not getting the annual 1K kit?
- no luggage tags and physical card (this would make me sad)
- no alcohol coupons (I never use anyway)
- no extra small gifts (like 2018's coasters! -- this would make me sad too)

But the value of these is small compared to a PQD waiver...
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K IHG Plat Elite
Just received email for Intl address change

How long does it usually take for status to change from platinum to 1k, once the international address has been verified? I am over 100k PQM and PQD should now be waived right?
‘Thanks in advance
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: *A
UA changed my postal address from foreign to USA - why?

I just received an email welcoming me to Premier Gold status. Since I have over 100K in PQM for 2018. I thought that odd so I checked my account. Somehow, sometime my address changed from overseas to USA. I do not see any reference to my correct overseas address in my account. I have lived overseas for many years and my address was a foreign address well before UA introduced PQD. I did use a MP branded credit card with a US address to purchase my UA tickets but I cancelled that card this year.

Any idea why my account address has changed?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by wrenz
I just received an email welcoming me to Premier Gold status. Since I have over 100K in PQM for 2018. I thought that odd so I checked my account. Somehow, sometime my address changed from overseas to USA. I do not see any reference to my correct overseas address in my account. I have lived overseas for many years and my address was a foreign address well before UA introduced PQD. I did use a MP branded credit card with a US address to purchase my UA tickets but I cancelled that card this year.

Any idea why my account address has changed?
I ended up calling MP Service Center in the US today given the holidays have already here and felt I needed to clear this up before the new year if I wanted 1K status next year. After 45 minutes on the phone and getting a supervisor involved, my account has reverted to the correct foreign address.

The cause of the address change, without being notified it had changed, was due to making a booking on united.com and using US based credit card for the transaction. I have made other online bookings in the past so I'm not clear on what I should have done differently this time. Before I make another united.com booking I will need to contact them again to sort things out.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
That’s strange. I use a US credit card (it is a UA card for which I’m an authorized user) all the time for my bookings. Never changed my address.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
That’s strange. I use a US credit card (it is a UA card for which I’m an authorized user) all the time for my bookings. Never changed my address.
+1

I am not going to use a Canadian or Taiwan credit card to buy my tickets in order to make UA happy. I earn and am paid in USD, my banking is primarily in USD given the collapsing Canadian dollar, and my credit cards are ALL denominated in US$ with statements going to either a relative's home, or my seasonal rental in FL....not to mention Canadian or foreign cards have horrible benefits compared with the US cards. I will need to watch my account carefully since this appears to be an issue.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
I used a Citi USA-issued USD credit card to purchase a ticket last year and it changed my address to my US billing address. I called in and had it changed back after an appeal (I do have all the verification documents but was on the road at that time and didn't want the hassle) I'm a foreign citizen with permanent and present residence outside the US.

Since then I've avoided entering my MP number when purchasing a ticket from the USD united.com site and instead add it later-- I do my banking across 3 countries.

i believe there is a warning on unitrd.com that your MP account can be updated with the information you provide during booking.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I hadn't read this whole thread before; just ran across it again while looking for something else.

Originally Posted by gnaget
1. is ridiculous. USPS does not offer mail forwarding to a foreign address.

I am having a hard time understanding 2. So they want a piece of forwarded mail from the US address to the foreign address. Since USPS does not forward to a foreign address this one is also impossible.

There is a prevalent mentality in the US that people moving "overseas" must work for the government and military. Sure, they can forward to an APO address.

So 1,2,8,9 only works for government employees.
Four years later, the verification list/terms remain unchanged, despite the above. Really strange. The way United's list is constructed, most foreigners living in the U.S. can easily score a (fraudulent) PQD waiver, while a lot of Americans living abroad will have a much tougher, if not impossible, time. I've twice lived outside the U.S. for 3+ years — one of those times, I never visited the U.S. for a single day — and neither time could I have produced two items from United's list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.