Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Submit Verification Documentation

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address. Each document must be dated and include your name, as shown on your MileagePlus account*, and your residential address. The new address cannot be a business address and must match the address listed on the submitted documents. Please block out all non-essential personally identifiable information from the submitted documents.
Read our privacy policy

Accepted address verification documents
1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States Postal Service or an international postal service)
2. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
3. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign driver’s license)
4. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
5. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
6. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
7. Payroll statement provided by the member’s employer, dated within the past 90 days
8. U.S. military ID
9. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status

Please allow at least 10-14 days for a response and for your account to be updated. Any updates submitted while the request is being processed may be overridden and therefore may not be reflected in your account. We recommend that you do not submit any additional changes until you receive confirmation that your original request has been completed.

*If the member’s name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the member’s name and the name on the verification document.
How to verify this triggered the PQD waiver?
Go to https://mystatus.united.com to verify.

related thread
MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?
Print Wikipost

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA/*A:S,UC DL/ST:S Hyatt:Plat, GE
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I know it's a Canadian term, but UA/OP might have no idea what this hyrdo thing is.
hydro = water bill

When I changed my MP address to the UK a few years back, I had to submit a utility bill (gas, water, electric) as proof of address.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Yes the take four United operated flights is another factor OP must tick off to hit any Premier Status. However, it doesn't matter the fare class of those flights. It could be 4 flights in Basic Economy or 4 flights in Polaris it'll still count as 4 flights on United metal.
The minimum flight segment requirement is also waived with certain co-branded credit cards.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by profintraining
hydro = water bill
In the Canada (or at least Ontario) context, it's actually electricity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Hydro
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
In the Canada (or at least Ontario) context, it's actually electricity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Hydro
Yup..I was going to say. YYZ born and raised for the first ~25 years of my life, and I’ve never heard of hydro referred to as water. Maybe there’s another country that does that?

but back to the bills for address changes, UA has a list of acceptable documents, which you need to provide two of. Utility bills are definitely an option - but as I always warn, note absent from the list are bank or credit card statements, which I’m pretty sure is intentional.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emcampbe
absent from the list are bank or credit card statements, which I’m pretty sure is intentional.
Probably since residency is not required to have a bank account or credit card.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Well, I've been struggling with this but thought I would provide an update. I live in Taiwan and am married to a Taiwanese. I have a permanent resident card that lists my wife's parent's address because that is where their household registration is based and therefore our marriage. We don't live with them though and this has made it a huge PITA to get approved. Utilities are in my wife's name. Lease is in my Chinese name with a Chinese stamp. I've sent them bank bills, auto bill, my resident card (green card), income tax receipts, my entry and exit information, our household registration copy, marriage cert, but because none of these have the same Taiwan address and/or match the documents on their list I'm currently SOL. They are very strict about it and I understand that, but there doesn't appear to be any understanding of how expats actually live or a willingness to be flexible in the face of overwhelming proof that I do in fact reside in Taiwan. If you can't provide two things that have a physical building with your name attached to it, don't bother.

I'll probably just fly EVA.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: United 1K (1 Million Miler)/ SPG Lifetime- Plat-
What is the point of having a waver for anything for a different address? Seems it would just be easier to have everyone playing by the same rules?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dawoz
What is the point of having a waver for anything for a different address? Seems it would just be easier to have everyone playing by the same rules?
Because United wants the business of people who legitimately live abroad, who typically have better options than U.S. carriers when it comes to long-haul flights. It's also harder for such people to attain status under the normal rules, since they have far fewer flight options and EQM tend to outpace EQD on longer flights.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So looking forward to the day I have a non US address so do not need to meet the PQD. I already have a foreign address and could meet the utility bill requirements but it is obvious the majority of my travel currently originates from SAN that I would think that would flag my US address is my primary residence (currently). I am going to be making the switch to when my primary residence is outside the USA but the risk of losing my MP status and points is too great a risk for me. I am risk adverse by nature
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So looking forward to the day I have a non US address so do not need to meet the PQD. I already have a foreign address and could meet the utility bill requirements but it is obvious the majority of my travel currently originates from SAN that I would think that would flag my US address is my primary residence (currently). I am going to be making the switch to when my primary residence is outside the USA but the risk of losing my MP status and points is too great a risk for me. I am risk adverse by nature
Don't want to take the thread further off-topic, but I'll be surprised if the PQD waiver for foreign residents exists for more than another year. A recession might be the only thing that will save it.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Don't want to take the thread further off-topic, but I'll be surprised if the PQD waiver for foreign residents exists for more than another year. A recession might be the only thing that will save it.
There is no evidence of that happening, just speculation. Modifying this now would do nothing more than drive every international MP member away unless we can start earning equivalent PQD on all foreign carrier flights and no airline in *A does that today, and there is no evidence any member airline is interested in starting. There is a strong business case that supports NOT making any changes. The only case that supports making a change is based on spite, rather than good business sense - which I suspect is the core driver of some of the complaints upthread.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is no evidence of that happening, just speculation. Modifying this now would do nothing more than drive every international MP member away unless we can start earning equivalent PQD on all foreign carrier flights and no airline in *A does that today, and there is no evidence any member airline is interested in starting. There is a strong business case that supports NOT making any changes. The only case that supports making a change is based on spite, rather than good business sense - which I suspect is the core driver of some of the complaints upthread.
We can't know if there's a "strong business case that supports NOT making any changes" without knowing the breakdown of legit vs. non-legit waivers. (AA offers no such waiver and seems to be doing fine.) From the wacky way United grants and rejects such waivers, I wouldn't be surprised if there are thousands of foreigners who live in the U.S. who are scamming United. But, again, this is probably a topic for a different thread.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:20 pm

My address has always been based in India. I have bonafide residences in both countries. My employer has offices both in US and India. Every time I use my employer's US CC and billing address to buy a ticket, MP automatically updates the primary address to the US. What kind of stupidity is this? I have to go through the entire process of submitting address documents again. The kicker is that one of the documents which they used to accept (a bona fide national ID) is apparently "not acceptable" anymore. What the fudge?

Last edited by leonidas; Sep 19, 2019 at 12:26 pm
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by leonidas
Every time I use my employer's US CC and billing address to buy a ticket, MP automatically updates the primary address to the US.
I had a similar problem, live in Canada but use US credit card. Solved it by doing the following: go into your profile and fill in the "primary" and "secondary" address fields. For your primary address, have your foreign home. For your secondary, have the US credit card billing address. That solved the problem for me - I buy all my UA tix on a US credit card, but the system maintains my primary residence as my Canada home.
Xyzzy and margarita girl like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
:-(

Well folks - this is the end as we know it. From today's announcement: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...ccordion-faq-6 /. So glad I got my MM last year, since this is getting really bad.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As noted the international address PQD waiver is disappearing for qualifying in 2020 (you will keep the status you earned if you used this waiver in 2019 until Jan 2021). But for discussions of the changes in the 2020 or what to do, please use the existing threads that have excellent wikis and links to further answers on the UA site

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

2020 MP changes — Will you switch loyalty programs? What program will you switch to?

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.