Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Would UA entertain a status boost in lieu of agreed baggage comp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would UA entertain a status boost in lieu of agreed baggage comp?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The problem with giving every delayed-bag complainer 2 more levels of status than he/she deserves is the future costs, not just $600 bucks. Why would UA possibly want to give 4 RPUs, 6 GPUs, twice the RDMs he deserves, and displace/annoy real 1Ks, Plats, higher fare-paying Golds?
They wouldn't - my point is that it's not the concept but the ask that is ridiculous. For $600, one might reasonably ask for 6000PQM instead, but not 50K PQM.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
It's one thing to ask for an extra couple thousand miles of EQMs instead of the $$s (or simply use the $600 to buy EQMs), but to ask for a jump from Gold to 1K? This may be the funniest thing I've ever heard.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
They wouldn't - my point is that it's not the concept but the ask that is ridiculous. For $600, one might reasonably ask for 6000PQM instead, but not 50K PQM.
I agree 100%. If UA gave me a chance to buy 4 levels of Premier status for $1200 and 2 misplaced bags, I'd be all over it...but so would everyone else and being Premier 1K would mean absolutely nothing.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 19, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
This thread/request should be given the "Reach For The Stars" award, should one ever exist.

Or the "I'll Have What He's Smoking/Ingesting/Injecting" honorary mention.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by northpole999
Hadrian35: Take a deep breath and smile, my friend! You'll be happier that way, and you know the whole shtick about more muscles to frown than to smile

The question here is not what a bag loss is worth to me, but what not paying over $600 is worth to UA. As I said, I wouldn't take that deal if I were the airline. But I was wondering what other FTers thought UA's reaction would be. I sure received it - you really gave it to me on this one! (yes, double entendre intended). Thanks, folks!

Oh, and the offer wouldn't be double my current status, but maintain it. I'm 1K now and have been for 5 of the last 6 year, using very few bottom-feeder fares.
I didn't attack you. Why are you so defensive about answers you don't like? The request is unmeasured, which you have admitted, and yet you're playing innocent about trying to get one over on UA.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
I think you guys are missing that you are just bring trolled....
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, get Delta to do it first. According to the prevailing wisdom on the board United will surely follow.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
This thread/request should be given the "Reach For The Stars" award, should one ever exist.

Or the "I'll Have What He's Smoking/Ingesting/Injecting" honorary mention.

I LIKE it!! :-:^ This one has had some of the best responses I've seen on FT -- definitely worth making the post. Thanks guys/gals and cheers!!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
By the way, UA accidentally scuffed my Tumi Spinner and gave me a year of GS as compensation.
OP - Here you have it.

Go ask for an early 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.