Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by unavaca
Call me crazy, but the 1K line is alive and well.
You're crazy. Hey, you asked for it.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by BearX220
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/u-s-a...OmRFt_uow.html

Rainey is first asked about the fuel price outlook, but then the anchor asks about UA possibly getting rid of F class like Delta. Answer: "We're moving more toward a two-cabin plane, with Economy Plus."

Rainey does not do much of a job justifying either the existence of GF or paying extra for it:

"It's effectively the same service: you've got essentially the same food... even the seat is very similar."

He concludes by complaining about taxes. "A crushing tax burden.... higher rate than alcohol, tobacco, firearms... we shouldn't be discouraging air travel in our country."
This is the same guy that goes on in public about over-entitled customers and now he's trashing their high yield products? They need to shut him up or at least keep him out of the public eye.

And boy am I tired of the airlines whining about taxes. Taxes stink. We all agree. Get over it.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:56 pm
Suspended

It's as if they're determined to create as sterile and uninspiring airline as they can. I wish these clowns would go kill General Motors and leave United alone.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:22 pm

I've been reading this but have a question, what is Global First? Is this international first class? In a plane with first, business, E+ and economy?
Is it somehow related to global services which seems to be some sort of invitation only group which get more attention and service (having dinner orders taken first)
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
I've been reading this but have a question, what is Global First? Is this international first class? In a plane with first, business, E+ and economy?
Is it somehow related to global services which seems to be some sort of invitation only group which get more attention and service (having dinner orders taken first)
It's international F class currently found on the sUA 3-cabin aircraft.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by united4
It's as if they're determined to create as sterile and uninspiring airline as they can. I wish these clowns would go kill General Motors and leave United alone.
^

Sterile and Uninspring with a touch of Osco bunco, blueberry yogurt, Pork chop, worse than cosco rigatoni / ravioli. And don't forget broken cashews.

I saw the alleged changes to the menu - its as is nothing changed
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
As a good FTer I would rather have more BF seats on the plane in order to increase my upgrade chances. Screw GF. Anyone who is going to pay for GF isn't going to fly a US airline anyway.
+1
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO

I see your point, but still believe that in his original, poorly thought out comments, Rainey was referring to lower level elites.
Rainey and UA have had ample opportunity to correct the record as to his "original, poorly thought out comments. "

That this hasn't happened supports the conclusion the label he used applies across the board.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by harryhood
You can almost hear the disdain he has for his airlines' own GF product (and therefore the people who buy GF tickets).

Its one thing to say GF is going to be transitioned out in favor of BF on most or all flights. That is a decision many airlines are contemplating or have already executed. It is a statement that is made without disparaging a product UA currently offers and charges a premium for over and above J.

It is something else altogether to disparage an existing premium product level that people pay money, miles or upgrades for, over and above J.
Well, as sogboulder correctly pointed out in an earlier post, he doesn't describe it as his "own" product, but rather as "United's" product while he makes it clear that "his airline" (he uses "we" to describe Continental) had a two-cabin product.

As has been mentioned earlier, the product is virtually the same as J because that's how they have made it.

I do think, however, that on the few markets where a true overseas F could command a substantial premium over J, that UA doesn't have the management acumen, the reputation, the built-in demand to pull off a truly profitable premium overseas F.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by denuaflier
With my luck I only get Houston crew!
Originally Posted by unavaca
Call me crazy, but the 1K line is alive and well. I
still get the PMUA DTWRR call center all the time. The same quality of service that I got during the PMUA days, too.
If people are always getting only one service center then they are routing them for a particular reason. Are they looking at the area code, Mileage Plus number, phone number, ... ?

Originally Posted by fly18725
No one at United said 1Ks are over entitled.
They have shown with Premier Qualifying Dollars, minimum spend and mileage reward levels which groups are more important. Once low annual spend 1Ks are unhappy about their loss of status and instruments. They cry about their loses the most here on FT IMO.
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
There's not much difference between the 2007 F product on UA and the new F put on the 777-300s on AA. Sure the finishes are newer, some different cubbies, but nothing revolutionary.

F seats had two big differences over J: 1) full lie flat, and 2) not having to step over a neighbor.

With direct aisle lie flat J those two differences are gone.
Global First is about a much higher level of service then BF if United as their competitors with a successful international product have. This is not nor was it possible for United. By wife's first experience with a Flight Attendant in International First preGF was the FA telling her that she wasn't going to put her bag in the overhead when all my wife had done was stop by her seat and answer her phone.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Thank you for reminding me - I had forgotten about previous RPU earning scheme.
What was this?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Rainey and UA have had ample opportunity to correct the record as to his "original, poorly thought out comments. "

That this hasn't happened supports the conclusion the label he used applies across the board.
The statement was made to financiers and investors, who understood what Rainey was saying.

The fact that FT seeks out ANY comment made by UAL management and chooses to be offended speaks volumes about the fundamentally flawed relationship we have with a corporation.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
The statement was made to financiers and investors, who understood what Rainey was saying.

The fact that FT seeks out ANY comment made by UAL management and chooses to be offended speaks volumes about the fundamentally flawed relationship we have with a corporation.
Financial community does not live in vaccumm. Also, some of those same people are GF consumers. So one needs to watch what one says in a public forum.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by denuaflier
Financial community does not live in vaccumm. Also, some of those same people are GF consumers. So one needs to watch what one says in a public forum.
All of the finance community are airline elites, many on UAL. From my perspective, they understand what Rainey says and accept it, mostly because it's true.

International F is usually the most unprofitable cabin on a SF basis. There are a few markets in the world that justify it and most airlines maintain it for prestige purposes.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:58 am

I'm not "seeking out" anything.

That Rainey made a statement to "financiers and investors" is irrelevant since it later went public.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
All of the finance community are airline elites, many on UAL.
My point exactly. These people pay serious money for GF. I had a guy standing in line with me on IAD - KWI (may have been DXB) Pre-merger who paid $32K for the round trip. That's why you keep it alive.

Personally, I would prefer more BF seats.

Last edited by denuaflier; Sep 6, 2014 at 10:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.