Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Relocating to SNA-more UA mainline or more UX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Relocating to SNA-more UA mainline or more UX?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by enviroian
I can change my UA flights within 24 hours to another (same destination) later or earlier flight for no charge. Does WN offer the same?
WN offers a full credit for your fare with no change fee, but you'll pay the prevailing fare on the alternate flight. If you are already on a higher fare, the difference will be marginal. If you're on a bargain fare, it will be substantial. Note that all (or almost all) WN flights price as one-ways, so it makes sense to purchase the tickets as OW if you're going to have frequent changes, at least as to part of trips.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
SNA-SFO air fares are currently $163 round trip on either UA or WN. I find this amazing to be honest as every trip I currently take within my region to MSP, DTW, PAH, CMH, EWR, PHL is well north of $400. Here I was a month ago applauding UA's new mileage accrual based on spend. Go figure!

Face your demons I say. Before I moved to Chicago I couldn't drive over any bridge. I was forced to do such in my area and it's not an issue. I will drive that damn Bay Bridge if it's the last thing I do and do it with no worries ^
A legit bridge fear? That's very interesting, I've never heard of that. Growing up in Vancouver it's just known that if you live in the suburbs you've gotta cross at least 1 bridge/tunnel to get into town. The bridge closest to me is way too tight and that's a bit freaky, but it's normal for me.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by drvannostren
A legit bridge fear? That's very interesting, I've never heard of that. Growing up in Vancouver it's just known that if you live in the suburbs you've gotta cross at least 1 bridge/tunnel to get into town. The bridge closest to me is way too tight and that's a bit freaky, but it's normal for me.
Oh it's legit. I get panic attacks on bridges like the Bay Bridge. I can do it if I put my visor down and look straight ahead but it's unsettling to say the least.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA1K
Reading the replies on this post of mine over and over again it's become quite clear it would be foolish for me to fly into SFO on UA. Flying WN to OAK is much closer to Benecia/Martinez and won't have to deal with the Bay Bridge riff raff either. Oh well. Considering how much time I'll be spending there it's a shame I will be losing out on that UA miles/segments but unless I want to fly to SFO and drive south the Dumbarton bridge and over (insane and silly) WN it is.
the trip to martinez from OAK is not that long. that would probably be my rec. OAK is an easy airport like SNA and less prone to the weather problems that hit SFO.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
OP where exactly in Orange County will you be based?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooseman13
OP where exactly in Orange County will you be based?
Moving to Irvine.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
So about 45 minutes to LAX - gives you the option to do the occasional UA nonstop from there as well.

Also keep in mind that while SFO can be terrible, time of day plays a big part. If you're flying first flight of the morning you should generally be pretty good.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooseman13
So about 45 minutes to LAX - gives you the option to do the occasional UA nonstop from there as well.

Also keep in mind that while SFO can be terrible, time of day plays a big part. If you're flying first flight of the morning you should generally be pretty good.
Did you mean to say 2.45 to lax?

Yes you are right. I also noticed UA does fly to SJC from there.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

Oh good lord, the SJC traffic northbound is much worse than the SF traffic eastbound if you hit the evening bank.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Oh it's legit. I get panic attacks on bridges like the Bay Bridge. I can do it if I put my visor down and look straight ahead but it's unsettling to say the least.
Definitely a legit fear. I've known more than one person that can't go over any bridges at all. Even small ones over creeks, etc cause major panic attacks. Large ones over things like rivers, bays, etc are impossible for them. Can totally understand the OP having an issue with bridges.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, other ones I don't use often
Originally Posted by channa
Oh good lord, the SJC traffic northbound is much worse than the SF traffic eastbound if you hit the evening bank.
But if there's not traffic, like a late night flight, or you're reverse commuting, like a morning flight, it shouldn't take too much longer than SFO, and would be faster than SMF-Martinez in the mornings (when 80 is backed up most of the way to the Bay Area).

But SNA-OAK on WN is by far the easiest. I don't do a lot of business travel, but all my leisure travel from the Bay Area to Southern California is WN, and my co-workers who do a lot of business travel between northern and southern California fly WN all the time. It seems way more pleasant than an RJ, particularly with all the airport options.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA G
UA just recently cancelled the LAX-SJC route. It was a CR2 or CR7 most of the time anyway.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Do you have any idea how high the Benicia/Martinez bridge goes over the Carquinez Strait?
About this high (view from Benicia waterfront):

Or from the air:

Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Do you have any idea how high the Benicia/Martinez bridge goes over the Carquinez Strait?
138' or 42m.

Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:10 pm

Most of my rush hour driving on that route was PM rush hour out of LAX, but even then it was about an hour and twenty minutes. 405 usually sucked up until the junction with the 22, and then pretty smooth sailing from there down to SNA which is about where I would exit.

RJs do kind of suck though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.