Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Relocating to SNA-more UA mainline or more UX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Relocating to SNA-more UA mainline or more UX?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:56 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by enviroian
On a side note does BART go from SFO to OAK? Perhaps I can just do that and pick up my National car rental at OAK.
OAK would be out of the way. Easier to go straight.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Do you have any idea how high the Benicia/Martinez bridge goes over the Carquinez Strait? You will cross this SMF/Martinez, unless you take 160 to 4, which will take you a leisurely 2 hours+ on a windy levee road (which can have pea soup fog during the winter), and you'll still have to cross the Antioch Bridge, which is fairly high, but is quick. But it is only 1 lane in each direction, with a solid median, so if you get stuck, you are stuck. Alternatively, you could take 5 southbound to 4 west, which will even take longer, but you'll only have to cross a few draw bridges.

Seriously, you could drive SNA to anywhere in the Bay Area faster than your door to door travel plans, and that is with things running on schedule.

And as said above, flying ORD/SMF is much quicker than SNA/SMF.

WN isn't an airline I'd want to fly all over on - in fact, the longest WN flight I've had in the past 15+ years has been Bay Area / So Cal.

I also don't know what your corporate travel policies will be, but when you're regularly spending $600+ for SNA/SMF because that's what's left on the RJs, the company is going to wonder why. That you missed your meetings/inspections/whatever you do by a day because UA couldn't get you there repeatedly is another story. It will happen. It will happen more than once. SFO is in the top tier of available airport food. It will get old.

I fly 50-75K paid premium miles a year, on my own dime, plus an award trip or two. And when I need a short hop around the state, other than SFO/LAX, I generally fly WN. I'm not proud. I'm practical.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
On a side note does BART go from SFO to OAK? Perhaps I can just do that and pick up my National car rental at OAK.
One train every 20 minutes, change of train in Oakland (or further up in SF, depending on time of day), get off at Oakland Coliseum, board Air Bart Bus (will become another train service come end of year), go to airport, wait for rental car shuttle, bus will take you to lot, get car. I'd estimate 1:30 from SFO arrival to OAK rental car departure on a good day.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
No that wouldn't bother me at all.

I can handle lower bridges (TPA area bridges don't phase me) and all bridges over the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers).

Finally someone who shares my phobia!

And yes, I can handle many bridges, here the ones that get me are the big NY ones - if I have to cross the Hudson, I take the train. Because as you say, I dont care about a tube under the river, especially if im not driving
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA1K
i used to live in newport and used SNA a lot. one of my favorite airport. with that said, if you're doing norcal...stay with WN. but DEN, ORD, and anything east UA is solid.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm moving to Orange County in a month from Chicago. I will not miss ORD in any shape nor form. Not one iota.

I'm taking over a new region within my firm and they asked if I'd like to move.

So my new cities I'll be visiting (I'm in sales and sell specific environmental and industrial services to oil refineries) be the north Bay area (Martinez), Seattle, Denver, Billings, and of course locally, the LA refineries I will be driving to.

Using SNA will be a nice change. I can fly UA to all the cities of course. I even though of connecting at SFO and fly to SAC for the refineries in Martinez. I know I can fly to SFO but don't want to deal with the bridges and traffic.

How's the RJ situation out there? Can I expect more mainline?
SURE just flaunt it to everyone. I'm jealous. Even to move to Chicago I'm tired of Vancouver, but I HAAAAAAAAATE the blackhawks. I'm flying out of SNA after the Canucks visit Kings/Ducks in Nov, looking forward to checking out another airport! SNA-SFO-PDX-YVR...love those RJs!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA G
I'm a UA 1K and I still fly quite a bit of WN intra-California. WN is the defacto intra-California commuter airline these days. It's the only carrier to service all 3 Bay Area airports and all 4 LA-area airports, all at frequencies that can't be beat by any of the legacies.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
SNA-SFO air fares are currently $163 round trip on either UA or WN. I find this amazing to be honest as every trip I currently take within my region to MSP, DTW, PAH, CMH, EWR, PHL is well north of $400. Here I was a month ago applauding UA's new mileage accrual based on spend. Go figure!

Face your demons I say. Before I moved to Chicago I couldn't drive over any bridge. I was forced to do such in my area and it's not an issue. I will drive that damn Bay Bridge if it's the last thing I do and do it with no worries ^
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by DBCme
SFO-SMF/SAC - (two of my fav airports) and really any cities served by UX are most susceptible to wx delays - often the first to delay or cx. That said, UX operates high frequency between SMF and SFO so in theory you can take the next flight. That that said, OAK (served nonstop from SNA by WN) faces a fraction of the delays SFO has (fog), and would get you into Martinez a bit faster and probably more reliable.

Good luck
SFO-SMF is constantly sold out and often delayed hopelessly or canceled. Next available flight often means waiting til the next day. WN to OAK is the way to do this trip for the OP. Anything else would be really just needlessly torturing ones self.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
SNA-SFO air fares are currently $163 round trip on either UA or WN. I find this amazing to be honest as every trip I currently take within my region to MSP, DTW, PAH, CMH, EWR, PHL is well north of $400. Here I was a month ago applauding UA's new mileage accrual based on spend. Go figure!

Face your demons I say. Before I moved to Chicago I couldn't drive over any bridge. I was forced to do such in my area and it's not an issue. I will drive that damn Bay Bridge if it's the last thing I do and do it with no worries ^

If you book in advance, you can get this route for $59 or $69 one way ($118 - $138 RT) if you catch a sale. There's currently a $69 OW fare on this route.

$400 RT buys you First Class.

The advantage of WN is no change fees, so if your trip gets scrapped, you can cancel your ticket and use it for something else later. But if you need to tweak a time, WN can be costly -- there's no change fee, but there's a fare difference, so if the fare is $200 walk up, and you paid $69, that's a $130 fee to go early.

The advantage of UA is SDC (which can be free if you have the status), so last-minute tweaks can be cheaper on UA.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:21 pm

Can't you just bear the 405 for those trips and get to LAX if that desperate to avoid WN and still stick with UA? That would be a better plan in my book than dealing with the SFO UX connections.

I'm no big fan of WN, but I couldn't agree more that for intra-CA stuff, it's the way to go. I have no issue with WN for these types of flights, and the minor UA miles being lost on short haul stuff like that isn't much more than a shoulder shrug to me. Just my $0.02, but having lived in the midwest & the west coast both, the business-traveler culture in the midwest just seems to be much more anti-WN, where on the west coast, WN is much more accepted as normal. Probably has to do with the depth of history WN has on these routes. A lot of money flies WN flights out of BUR for example.

Also: It's one thing if you're in your hometown (ORD) when UX delays cause you grief on a single segment hop. When it's a connection at play, the pain level goes up by big magnitudes.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:40 am

Location: I have resided many places, but only ever lived in San Francisco.
Programs: UA, AA
edited

Last edited by drewsnav; Oct 9, 2015 at 1:59 am
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Reading the replies on this post of mine over and over again it's become quite clear it would be foolish for me to fly into SFO on UA. Flying WN to OAK is much closer to Benecia/Martinez and won't have to deal with the Bay Bridge riff raff either. Oh well. Considering how much time I'll be spending there it's a shame I will be losing out on that UA miles/segments but unless I want to fly to SFO and drive south the Dumbarton bridge and over (insane and silly) WN it is.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Reading the replies on this post of mine over and over again it's become quite clear it would be foolish for me to fly into SFO on UA. Flying WN to OAK is much closer to Benecia/Martinez and won't have to deal with the Bay Bridge riff raff either. Oh well. Considering how much time I'll be spending there it's a shame I will be losing out on that UA miles/segments but unless I want to fly to SFO and drive south the Dumbarton bridge and over (insane and silly) WN it is.
You can earn WN points rather quickly if you buy up. I fly ORD-Midwest on WN and I earn a free one way ticket on a 400.00 roundtrip. Thats of course due to my status, but if you fly enough you can also earn double eventually. My fares are all last minute so they carry a higher price.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
You can earn WN points rather quickly if you buy up. I fly ORD-Midwest on WN and I earn a free one way ticket on a 400.00 roundtrip. Thats of course due to my status, but if you fly enough you can also earn double eventually. My fares are all last minute so they carry a higher price.
I can change my UA flights within 24 hours to another (same destination) later or earlier flight for no charge. Does WN offer the same?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.