Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA offers more true First Class seats than AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA offers more true First Class seats than AA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I think you are making a factual statement. But it's such a sad product, it's sort of like so-what. Back in the 80s Aeroflot was the world's largest airline - of course nobody wanted to fly on it.
Blanche, LOOK, did you see the size of his first class cabin?
Yes Madge, I did. But it doesn't work very well. I couldn't even put it in the upright position for landing.
But Blanche, that doesn't matter. It is still bigger than the others.
Well, Madge, I'd rather ride the cabin that works, even if it isn't first class all the time.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by tuolumne
UAL actually adopted Unlimited domestic upgrades UDU before the merger with CO...so domestic F class, sans 3-class p.s. of the time, was off the table.
Sure it was PMUA, but obviously it was to align with PMCO in preparation for the merger.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You keep saying this, but I'd point out that the world's largest premium transoceanic market is NYC-LON... which is one of the routes that AA is retaining 3-class F on.
Not to mention AA's London routes in general... the 77W is on more than half of AA's LHR flights (including at least one on every destination served except ORD), and I assume we'll see more as they get delivered.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
United is still the second largest airline in the USA, and the 4th largest airline in the world by passenger count. No one? Think again. AA was the 4th largest airline until it MERGED with US. The combined AA-US airline is bigger, but let's not confused merged passenger volume with something it isn't. AA flyers continued to fly AA and now US, and US flyers continued to fly US and now AA, which gave AA-US the most passengers. It isn't like everyone from UA and DL and the other domestic carriers (or foreign carriers) have been flocking to AA/US as you suggest. UA has its problems, but no one thinks that no one wants to fly UA. [Conforming moderator edit to original post].
UA is number 3 now in the USA - DL's bigger.

People fly UA, but the revenue premium PMUA enjoyed pre-merger has now turned into a deficit vs. AA/DL.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 26, 2014 at 11:57 am Reason: Conforming edit to quoted post.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
You keep saying this, but I'd point out that the world's largest premium transoceanic market is NYC-LON... which is one of the routes that AA is retaining 3-class F on.
I keep saying UA has more transPACIFIC routes than AA and DL. You mention a transatlantic. Apples and oranges.

FWIW, OZ, CX and NH fly planes without F for various North American TPAC markets, and nobody is doing this about their F the same way they do about UA GF. So even they seem to get the idea "you don't fly F everywhere and you adjust to market conditions".
UA isn't offering F on all its TPAC route markets, either. Even UA seems to get that idea, too. Or perhaps you hadn't noticed that UA dropped F on some equipment from LAX-SFO to MEL/SYD. The new 787-900 route from LAX-MEL will have no F, either. You have no point.

UA's going to have a lot of GF for a while, but that's an artifact of decisions they made almost a decade ago with IPTE, in considerably different market conditions, similar to how AA has 772s with 16F- which might explain why they don't mind limiting it to their new 77Ws at the moment (keep in mind AA is getting A350s too now). I would think UA's decision about their next premium product is coming up as the A350s show up on the property.
UA's going to have a lot of GF for a while. We can all banter about the reasons for it and the reasons that AA and DL won't have as much competing product in that regard. In the end, however, the fact is that UA is going to have a lot of GF for a while--and that was my original point. 'Nuff said. Thanks.

The rest of your comments was too convoluted a line of thinking for me to follow. Besides, you've already conceded the point: UA will have a true F, and far more than its national competitors AA and DL, for a good time into the future.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gengar
Sure it was PMUA, but obviously it was to align with PMCO in preparation for the merger.

Not to mention AA's London routes in general... the 77W is on more than half of AA's LHR flights (including at least one on every destination served except ORD), and I assume we'll see more as they get delivered.
It looks like the AA order book will put them up to 20 77Ws. I also looked and saw that US (which will soon be AA) redid their A350 order to get A350-1000s.

It will be interesting to see how AA and UA configure them... F or no.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
UA's cost structure still lags DL and AA largely because of its incomplete union contract merger issues. It still deals with separate mechanics contracts for pmCO and pmUA equipment, among so many other merger issues, which has prevented UA from benefitting from the merger savings it predicted. That isn't a problem with its route network; that is a problem with associated costs from management-union inability to finalize the merger the way it was intended. Blame it on Smisek or UA management or the unions as you wish--but that has nothing to do with the product in the sky or route network compared to that of AA and DL.
You obviously do not know what PRASM is, why it is important, and refuse to acknowledge that AA and DL are crushing UA financially, despite UA's purported superior route structure.

A larger route structure is meaningless, as is the 787, when your top fare paying passengers are fleeing to the competition.

United is now a carrier for those locked into captive hubs, those on corporate contracts (and those contracts are diminishing in number), Kayakers, and those who just don't know any better.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I keep saying UA has more transPACIFIC routes than AA and DL. You mention a transatlantic. Apples and oranges.
I don't think that means GF is particularly suited for TPAC operations. UA's fleet is the way it is because they decided on their IPTE configuration almost a decade ago, and they're going to ride it out.

If you could wave a magic wand and say to Smisek "how would you like your longhaul fleet configured today? All for free, just make a wish!", they'd probably do something more like what AA is doing (a small subfleet of F, going to all-aisle access J on all longhaul planes), or what DL is doing/CO did (no F, mix of various lie-flats).

One of their problems is they are somewhat a marginal player in NYC-LON (again, biggest premium market around). I suppose they can rely on SFO-Asia, but they're up against SQ and OZ... oh, and they get $ when NH sells their well-regarded F product. Or LH. Hmmm...

But we can't, and UA's fleet is what it is.

Besides, you've already conceded the point
I conceded that point quite a few posts ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23422624-post13.html

I don't particularly think that the fact that UA is going to fly those pre-merger cabins for a few more years constitutes a particular competitive advantage that UA has over AA or DL, though, any more than AA's 772 16F cabin was an advantage for the last few years (it wasn't, we have a Chapter 11 that demonstrates that). You seem to think otherwise.

I think it's an accident of history; pmUA decided on that fleet configuration in a different environment and with a different management team than what exists today. Current management doesn't seem to value it enough to do things like enhance the soft product much over what they offer in J, or add it to any new planes coming on the property (note that pmUA had 763s with GF, but current management has elected to NOT add GF to any 787). UA probably has more F seats on more routes than it needs, similar to AA flying 16F 772s, or LH flying 16F 747s up until a few years ago.

It's great if you want to redeem F awards on UA metal, sure (in fact, for your needs it is a good thing that most people don't think UA GF is very good, leaves lots of award/upgrade space). Knock yourself out. Let me know when they announce an A350 with GF, and I might think UA management actually values it, as opposed to "we're stuck with a contract to refit our planes, we might as well ride it out until we need to replace the IPTE interiors, instead of sending new interiors to a landfill and incurring costs for no good reason".

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 26, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
It looks like the AA order book will put them up to 20 77Ws. I also looked and saw that US (which will soon be AA) redid their A350 order to get A350-1000s.
??? Your link shows USAir having 22 A350-900 on firm order with zero options. I could only presume that's a replacement for 772s and 330s. UA is the one who moved from 359 to 350-1000.

And since AA is so eager to rip out all F seats out of their 772s, I can't really see the rationale to put them back in for the 359s.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

The moral of the story of this discussion so far seems to be that few are willing to concede that UA has, and will have for quite some time, far more true F than AA (or DL).

IMO, some are so needing to slam on UA that even something as lovely as having more F requires the UA bashers to come out and share the myriad of theories and explanations for how UA ended up with something that is better than its American competition. But it doesn't matter. UA still will have far more route options with far more F than anything flown by AA (or DL).

As FF business travelers who have tons of credit card spend and who love to redeem awards for F to travel to the places around the world we want to visit, we are delighted that UA will continue to give us the most options for F. We have miles/points with all of the major currencies (SPG, Chase URs, Amex MRs, UA, AA/US, LH, & AK), so we have available all of the airlines from which to choose.

Living on the West Coast, AA is largely worthless to us--since its few F flights are from the East Coast to LHR and GRU. Now, once AA gets its LAX-GRU flight off and running, we would consider that--but if it's only J, then we'd rather take the KE LAX-GRU flight in F.

Living on the West Coast, UA serves us well for leisure and business travel to Asia and Europe, with LAX-LHR, SFO-LHR, SFO-FRA, and SFO-CDG to Europe and LAX-HKG, LAX-ICN, LAX-PEK, LAX-PVG, LAX-NRT, LAX-HND, SFO-HKG, SFO-ICN, SFO-PEK, SFO-PVG, SFO-NRT, SFO-HND, SFO-TSA, and now the new SFO-CTU route...most of which offer true F. AA offers almost none of these, and DL only offers a few (and none with F).

UA doesn't serve us as well to South America, but then neither do AA or DL. AA's flight from LAX-GRU will help. Otherwise, we have to fly through IAH to reach South America.

We've also taken F to Asia using CX (LAX-HKG) and OZ (LAX-ICN). To be honest, OZ F doesn't blow us away compared to UA F on the LAX-ICN route. OZ had a slightly nicer suite, and much better food, but the IFE was horrible. The CX F is absolutely heads and shoulders above UA (or AA), with a supremely better suite and food, and better service overall...but we've had IFE problems 2 of our last 3 times. We've never had issues flying F with UA IFE.

We've also taken F to Europe using LH (LAX-FRA) and AF (LAX-CDG) and BA (LAX-LHR). Obviously, it's tougher to get LH now using UA miles, but we also collect LH miles for that reason. LH is better than UA, no doubt, in F--but it isn't SO much better that we mind using UA F....and LH J isn't that much better than UA J--though we haven't yet flown equipment with its new J. AF only makes available J, so flying LAX-CDG is more direct for us to reach Paris...but UA F is far superior to AF J. BA F isn't better IMO than UA F on LAX-LHR, but we will try the A380 LHR-LAX flight for the first time in October--which we hope will be better.

The moral of this story is that UA still serves us quite well and we appreciate UA GF--whether it be on miles or upgrade from J paid tickets. Is there better? You bet...but not so much better on all the routes we like to fly.

We're not alone.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 26, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
IMO, some are so needing to slam on UA that even something as lovely as having more F requires the UA bashers to come out and share the myriad of theories and explanations for how UA ended up with something that is better than its American competition. But it doesn't matter. UA still will have far more route options with far more F than anything flown by AA (or DL).
^
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
DL gave up international F and is by far the most profitable US carrier with an international presence.

AA is giving up international F on most markets and is the second most profitable US carrier with an international presence. (BTW, you left DFW-HKG off your list of 77W flights.)

UA has the most extensive international F presence of the U.S. airlines on it pmUA planes and is the least profitable.

What could I possibly read into that?
well said.. all in similar situations too, huge mergers, renovated planes, reconfigured networks
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:04 pm

American is cutting back true international First Class to only its 14 B777-300ER planes (http://business.financialpost.com/20...class/)--which fly just 5 routes in the AA network (namely, DFW-LHR, DFW-GRU, LAX-LHR, JFK-LHR, and JFK-GRU).

Say what you want, but that means that United offers the most true international First Class offerings on its fleet of B747-400s (23 of 23), B767-300s (21 of 27), and B777-200s (22 of 29), with FAR more routes to both transpacific and transatlantic destinations--compared to any other US airline. (source https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking)

DL already has completely given up international First Class. American now is shrinking that just to its 14 777 planes. United is the only US carrier offering major options in true international First Class.

Say what you want, but I've flown UA GlobalFirst from LAX, SFO, ORD, and IAH many times...and I've also flown Delta's BusinessElite and American's Business. UA GlobalFirst is better than the business version on AA or DL. AA's First Class suite on the 777-300 is better than the UA GlobalFirst suite because it's 4' wider, but otherwise they are comparable.

UA may not measure up in some on-time numbers and its FAs may be reputed to be less friendly than those on other airlines, but when it comes to redeeming for true First, UA offers FAR more options than AA and DL isn't even in the game.
1. So 777-200 16F seats in AA are not true international F?
2. Please give me one international route from IAH that offers GF non-stop. AFAIK, AMS, LHR, MUC, FRA, NRT all have BF seats, not GF.
3. DFW-HKG is being operated in 773ER as well.

If you want a legitimate discussion about who has better GF, you better do more research before you say it.

UA doesn't serve us as well to South America, but then neither do AA or DL. AA's flight from LAX-GRU will help. Otherwise, we have to fly through IAH to reach South America.
Oh right...Clearly you don't have much acknowledgement of JFK, ATL, MIA, DFW, and even DTW to South America.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Aug 26, 2014 at 1:13 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The moral of the story of this discussion so far seems to be that few are willing to concede that UA has, and will have for quite some time, far more true F than AA (or DL).

As FF business travelers who have tons of credit card spend and who love to redeem awards for F to travel to the places around the world we want to visit, we are delighted that UA will continue to give us the most options for F. We have miles/points with all of the major currencies (SPG, Chase URs, Amex MRs, UA, AA/US, LH, & AK), so we have available all of the airlines from which to choose.

Living on the West Coast, AA is largely worthless to us--since its few F flights are from the East Coast to LHR and GRU. Now, once AA gets its LAX-GRU flight off and running, we would consider that--but if it's only J, then we'd rather take the KE LAX-GRU flight in F.

Living on the West Coast, UA serves us well for leisure and business travel to Asia and Europe, with LAX-LHR, SFO-LHR, SFO-FRA, and SFO-CDG to Europe and LAX-HKG, LAX-ICN, LAX-PEK, LAX-PVG, LAX-NRT, LAX-HND, SFO-HKG, SFO-ICN, SFO-PEK, SFO-PVG, SFO-NRT, SFO-HND, SFO-TSA, and now the new SFO-CTU route...most of which offer true F. AA offers almost none of these, and DL only offers a few (and none with F).

We've also taken F to Asia using CX (LAX-HKG) and OZ (LAX-ICN). To be honest, OZ F doesn't blow us away compared to UA F on the LAX-ICN route. OZ had a slightly nicer suite, and much better food, but the IFE was horrible. The CX F is absolutely heads and shoulders above UA (or AA), with a supremely better suite and food, and better service overall...but we've had IFE problems 2 of our last 3 times. We've never had issues flying F with UA IFE.

We've also taken F to Europe using LH (LAX-FRA) and AF (LAX-CDG) and BA (LAX-LHR). Obviously, it's tougher to get LH now using UA miles, but we also collect LH miles for that reason. LH is better than UA, no doubt, in F--but it isn't SO much better that we mind using UA F....and LH J isn't that much better than UA J--though we haven't yet flown equipment with its new J. AF only makes available J, so flying LAX-CDG is more direct for us to reach Paris...but UA F is far superior to AF J. BA F isn't better IMO than UA F on LAX-LHR, but we will try the A380 LHR-LAX flight for the first time in October--which we hope will be better.

The moral of this story is that UA still serves us quite well and we appreciate UA GF--whether it be on miles or upgrade from J paid tickets. Is there better? You bet...but not so much better on all the routes we like to fly.

We're not alone.
I dont think anyone would argue the superiority of UA's network. The face i can fly anywhere in Asia, Central or South America and Europe without crazy connections, at least from EWR, is the sole reason I stick with UA
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by xkr0p
I dont think anyone would argue the superiority of UA's network. The face i can fly anywhere in Asia, Central or South America and Europe without crazy connections, at least from EWR, is the sole reason I stick with UA
We West Coasters envy you the flight options you have there in New York. Of course, you do have to deal with EWR, which isn't our favorite UA hub (but better than JFK and LGA to us!), but I'd guess it's worth it for the convenience you get for nonstops almost everywhere you might want to go. Now if only UA would offer a nonstop from EWR or IAD to South Africa...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 787fan
??? Your link shows USAir having 22 A350-900 on firm order with zero options. I could only presume that's a replacement for 772s and 330s. UA is the one who moved from 359 to 350-1000.
You're right.

Originally Posted by 787fan
And since AA is so eager to rip out all F seats out of their 772s, I can't really see the rationale to put them back in for the 359s.
Depends on how it sells in the 77Ws, I would imagine- AA probably have time to decide the configurations since they won't get them for a few years. Isn't the argument that 3-cabin F is the best thing ever, and it's not possible for airlines to survive without it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.