Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD-SPI Flight Canceled With no Same-Day Rebooking Available - Other Options/Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-SPI Flight Canceled With no Same-Day Rebooking Available - Other Options/Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:51 pm

Yay Flyertalk for being helpful.

Keep in mind that there is extra time really needed to get onto a train like there is getting through security etc at an airport. Shouldn't be a significant issue to to the train in two hours from ORD.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Amicus
Someone here mentioned I could request the refund of that segment online. I don't see where that is done. Does it matter if my travel is booked by the Fed. Govt. travel agency, not me?
There is no preferred car rental company for the federal government. Your travel agent is required to book you the cheapest option.

That said, I don't understand why you didn't call your travel agent up to begin with, given all of your troubles. Your agency pays them a fee for each booking to help you out.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
full fare ticket = y fare?

if so, it's refundable. go to an agent, tell them to tag the segment as INVOL
Doesn't need to be a Y fare. It can be any fare. The flight was canceled, so the OP is allowed to get a refund, even on a non-refundable fare.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is always tricky issue. Works best if the agent offers/agrees and a note is placed in the record.
And it's not likely to happen. Best bet is to refund the segment and pay out of pocket for alternate arrangements. Hopefully the delta is not terribly huge.

Just wanted to post an update on my adventure - -

Couldn't guarantee a one way car rental on Avis (I travel for the Fed. Govt. and that is the "preferred" rental agency).

So, I hoofed it to terminal 2, caught the Blue Line train, then a taxi to Union Station. Woo hoo, ten minutes to 7 p.m., got my Amtrak ticket to SPI. (train left at 7)

On the train, called UAL to request a refund on the ORD-SPI segment. Today is NOT my day. The UA rep assured me "oh the refund is already being processed." HUH? Since I was confirmed on a Saturday flight, had I stayed in ORD, then why is a refund in process? She didn't know the amount of the refund.

Someone here mentioned I could request the refund of that segment online. I don't see where that is done. Does it matter if my travel is booked by the Fed. Govt. travel agency, not me?

Glad it worked out.

Go to www.united.com/refunds and request a refund. Mention the flight was canceled, and UA had no reasonable rebooking options, so a refund for this segment is due.

They usually do it just fine, but every once in a while, a refund agent is an idiot and will reject it for some unrelated reason, in which case you'll need to re-request it or escalate. But usually there's no problem.

As for the agency, it doesn't matter. The credit will go back to the credit card used for payment.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sannmann
There is no preferred car rental company for the federal government. Your travel agent is required to book you the cheapest option.

That said, I don't understand why you didn't call your travel agent up to begin with, given all of your troubles. Your agency pays them a fee for each booking to help you out.
SATO - - - not available after hours.

car rental - - always Avis, if we want reimbursement

Originally Posted by channa
Doesn't need to be a Y fare. It can be any fare. The flight was canceled, so the OP is allowed to get a refund, even on a non-refundable fare.

And it's not likely to happen. Best bet is to refund the segment and pay out of pocket for alternate arrangements. Hopefully the delta is not terribly huge.

Glad it worked out.

Go to www.united.com/refunds and request a refund. Mention the flight was canceled, and UA had no reasonable rebooking options, so a refund for this segment is due.

They usually do it just fine, but every once in a while, a refund agent is an idiot and will reject it for some unrelated reason, in which case you'll need to re-request it or escalate. But usually there's no problem.

As for the agency, it doesn't matter. The credit will go back to the credit card used for payment.
thank you for the refund link!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 22, 2014 at 7:21 pm Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Still on the plane, waiting for an open gate.

How do I learn the actual reason for my cancelled flight? If I go on Flightaware, it just confirms that it was cancelled, but no reason given.

Is it likely that air traffic control really did cancel our flight?

RE: renting a car . . . good idea. Since I am on a fully refundable ticket, I guess it makes sense to get the refund and drive. Otherwise, I wait on standby here at ORD for four long hours.

I am actually stunned that UA is not obligated to get me to my final destination which is SPI. The res agent on the phone claimed she will only book me tomorrow (Sat) from ORD to STL. I don't understand.

I understand that I will be refunded for the ORD-SPI segment.

How likely is it that my rental car refund would be honored?
UA is obligated to get you to your final destination. It's not obligated to get you there tonight.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club

I don't like the 'get-out-of-jail' that atc canceled the flight that UA (and others) like these days. As someone that works as a controller, we don't cancel flights... There might be big delays if some routes/airports are impacted, but the airlines are on their own to decide to cancel a flight (absent extreme circumstances). This same reason canceled my father's okc-ewr this morning because the e145 never left ewr last night.
-dan
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392
UA is obligated to get you to your final destination. It's not obligated to get you there tonight.
Which is why I was stunned that the UA telephone rep offered to get me to STL tomorrow but NOT SPI (my final destination).

Originally Posted by raybolt
I don't like the 'get-out-of-jail' that atc canceled the flight that UA (and others) like these days. As someone that works as a controller, we don't cancel flights... There might be big delays if some routes/airports are impacted, but the airlines are on their own to decide to cancel a flight (absent extreme circumstances). This same reason canceled my father's okc-ewr this morning because the e145 never left ewr last night.
-dan
In hindsight, I wish I had checked FlightAware and noted that my specific flight had been cancelled by UA several times recently; I would have proactively changed to the last flight out of ORD, which has not been cancelled.

ATC was the reason given, but it is frustrating that just 2 hours before, my flight was still showing "on time departure."

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 22, 2014 at 10:20 pm Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Glad our advice to do CTA to AMTRAK worked out for you.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

My Amtrak train has just arrived in SPI . . . nearly 11 p.m. now.

Huge thank you to everyone here on the United board for your help!! ^^
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by milepig
Glad our advice to do CTA to AMTRAK worked out for you.
^

Nice call

FT FTW!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by milepig
Not a chance of the 5:15 at this point, but the 7:00 is still very doable if you hustle.

I wouldn't do a cab this time of day - take the Blue line from ORD and get off at Jackson, from there it will be a 10 minute walk west to Union Station. You could be there as early as 6:00 or 6:15 if you start now.
Way quicker to ride blue line 2 more stops to clinton and a 3 minute walk
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:14 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by Kacee
^

Nice call

FT FTW!
Couldn't have said it more concisely! Huge thanks to the FT Community who turned a sinking IRROPS into a great save for the OP.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Huge thank you to everyone here on the United board for your help!! ^^
How nice to sleep in your own bed tonight!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Glad to hear things worked out.

Meanwhile, the evening flight 8/22 UA5407 ORD-SPI departed on time (9:07 p.m.) and landed early (9:56 p.m.). They cleared all 3 standby pax and departed with 3 empty seats. So, in retrospect, you could have flown standby; and if revenue management had been a little less conservative, UA could have even confirmed you on the flight. So it goes.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Glad to hear things worked out.

Meanwhile, the evening flight 8/22 UA5407 ORD-SPI departed on time (9:07 p.m.) and landed early (9:56 p.m.). They cleared all 3 standby pax and departed with 3 empty seats. So, in retrospect, you could have flown standby; and if revenue management had been a little less conservative, UA could have even confirmed you on the flight. So it goes.
*Sigh*

It was a 4 hour wait between my cancelled flight and that last flight at 9 p.m.
I went for the sure thing, and glad to be home, rather than risk not clearing standby.

Grrr, not looking forward to my next UA flight to LAS, via ORD, next month . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.